3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 5:58 AM by Beverley Gray

2 questions: licensing an image for a book cover

dmorr

I have found an Adobe Stock image I would like to use on my book cover. Two questions: 1) Is it the case that I must purchase an extended license through eu.fotolia.com because Adobe doesn't offer extended licenses? 2) Section 3.1.b of the Adobe Stocks Additional Terms (General Restrictions) states that I cannot "share the Work with any other person or entity." Does this mean that I cannot email the image to the person or firm I hire to design the copy of my book? Please clarify. Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: 2 questions: licensing an image for a book cover
          Beverley Gray Adobe Employee

Hi there

From - Can Adobe Stock Photos be used for Book Covers?

In general terms, you can use an Adobe Stock image for the cover of your book. There are a few exceptions. The image cannot provide the primary value of the book. In most cases the cover is simply decorative with the content of the book providing the primary value. Another thing to keep in mind is that the use of the image cannot be perceived as offensive by a model featured in the image. No steamy romance novels, political content, etc. The print run limit is 500,000 so you would need to purchase an additional license if you exceed 500,000 sales. As always, be sure to review the license agreement for specific details on allowable use and if you are still uncertain it may be in your best interest to obtain legal counsel to review the agreement on your behalf as well.

Please also check 2.3 Employee and Contractor Use

Thanks

Bev

• 2. Re: 2 questions: licensing an image for a book cover
            dmorr Level 1

Hi, Bev.

I'm so glad to see an email from you in my inbox! I wanted to thank you for

your reply to my questions but couldn't figure out how to send you an email

on the forum site. I should have realized that section 2.3 answered my

second question. Legal documents are often hard to read for us non-lawyers.

Anyway, thanks for your quick response. I have a better idea of how to

proceed.

Kind regards,

diane

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Beverley Gray <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: 2 questions: licensing an image for a book cover
              Beverley Gray Adobe Employee

You're very welcome Diane.  Good luck with your book!

Regards

Bev