7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 12:13 PM by Himalaysian

Trying to eliminate a step between Hauppauge PVR2ge and PRE14

Himalaysian

The PVR2 and PRE14 get along if I re-encode the captured video with Handbrake. The video ends up looking not as clear/crisp as the original capture, but at least I'm not experiencing frame glitches or major loss of frames if I re-encode.

The settings I have have available for the PVR2's h.264 settings are:

Profile: BASE - MAIN - HIGH (I select HIGH)

Level: 2   2.1   2.2   3   3.1   3.2   4   4.1   4.2 (I select 4.2)

Latency: LOW - MEDIUM - HIGH (I select HIGH)

When I do this, the video looks great in a media player, when I load it in PRE14, the preview window stutters. Once in a while several frames will be missing. These problems also show up in the final rendered product.

These problems go away if I re-encode the original video in Handbrake and load the re-encoded video into PRE14.

What settings work best or what file types work best with Elements?

• 1. Re: Trying to eliminate a step between Hauppauge PVR2ge and PRE14
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Himalaysian

Without further information from you, I am assuming that you are using HandBrake because you can set a constant frame rate when you have recorded with a variable one.

If you are not sure, please contact Hauppauge PVR2 support to find out how you can record with the device with a constant rather than a variable frame rate.

Also, to get a better quality HandBrake H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate, have you adjusted the bitrate settings and other settings there before the export from HandBrake.

ATR

• 2. Re: Trying to eliminate a step between Hauppauge PVR2ge and PRE14
            Himalaysian Level 1

Thank you for replying. I neglected to include that piece of information in my post. I'm going to try enabling the video scaler in the PVR's settings which define frame rates. I'm hoping this will lock it to a constant frame rate. Will post what I discover.

• 3. Re: Trying to eliminate a step between Hauppauge PVR2ge and PRE14
              Himalaysian Level 1

It is constant rate. There is a selection on the CAPTURE tab of the Hauppauge Capture program where the user can select either variable or constant frame rate. Mine is set to constant.

Audio is set to AAC...I'm about to try Mpeg Layer II to see if that makes a difference. I also have a selection of video containers(?) between MP4, TS and M2TS. Are any of these better than the other in terms of video editing in PRE14?

• 4. Re: Trying to eliminate a step between Hauppauge PVR2ge and PRE14
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Himalaysian

Thanks for the reply with good news of constant frame rate.

Please go with the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate and audio AAC Stereo choice from your recorder. If that still does not get rid of the need for HandBrake conversion to HandBrake's H.264.mp4, then I am suspecting that your recorder might be using a proprietary codec? But, that is difficult to rationale why.

We will be watching for your results as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Trying to eliminate a step between Hauppauge PVR2ge and PRE14
                  Himalaysian Level 1

Ah. Here we go. Premiere Elements (maybe other editing programs too) does not like what Hauppauge produces as MP4. So instead of guessing if TS will work as well, I'm just going to make the statement that M2TS is the way to go.

As of now, these are the settings on Hauppauge's Capture software that I use with the PVR2 Gaming Edition (vers 1.0.33251).

On the main screen under the CAPTURE tab:

>Skipback

OFF

>MP4 TS and M2TS

M2TS

>Video and Audio in

HDMI

>Video Quality

cranked up to to 14Mbps

>Variable and Constant

Constant

Under the ADVANCED tab:

>Video Scaler

Uncheck Video Scaler

>Video Encoder

Profile: High

Level: 4.1 (experiment here)

Latency: High

>Video Proc Amp - (This is "to taste" settings) I have

Bright: 14

Cont: 58

Sat: 60

Hue: 49

>Audio Encoder - (lots of settings here)

Bitrate: 192kbps

AAC Downscaling

48k In: 48k

44.1k in: 44.1k

.TS Audio: AAC

Uncheck Analog Audio Boost

Check Disable HDMI AC3 Support

Uncheck Use Multiple Audio Tracks for recordings (if you check this, the .TS audio will change from AAC to MPEG-1 Layer II)

Capture original AC3 track for Multiple Track Recordings (this is invalidated/grayed out when above is Unchecked)

>Audio Decoders (I keep these at default since they are decoders)

AAC: Arcsoft Audio Decoder HD

MPEG1 Decoder: Hauppauge MPEG Layer 1/2 Aud

AC3 Decoder: Hauppauge AC3 Decoder

Uncheck Use SPDIF Output for AC3 (I assume you're using HDMI)

(wow...this felt like WORK)

Addendum: These settings are not for direct upload to streaming services. I was looking for a way to make the files from Hauppage PVR2 GE play nice with PRE14 for video editing.

• 6. Re: Trying to eliminate a step between Hauppauge PVR2ge and PRE14
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Himalaysian

Thanks for the update. Sounds interesting and promising.

So from what I read, safe to say when outlined...?

H.264 video compression - not sure about this but - keep away from AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264).avi if that pops up as a choice of video compression and file extension.

AAC audio compression

.m2ts file extension

Keeping positive thoughts for your success.

ATR

• 7. Re: Trying to eliminate a step between Hauppauge PVR2ge and PRE14
                      Himalaysian Level 1

Yes, with the PVR2 as this is the only HDMI capture device I have.

Other files load but do not behave properly and output is affected as well as preview.