8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 8:30 AM by jean9l27

Template within a document

jean9l27

Hi all,

I am having an issue with keeping formatting consistent within my document and was wondering if there was some way to make a "mini template" within a document so that if I need to change the formatting of one, it changes them all. For example I have the following group of objects that appears anywhere between 3 and 10 times on a page:

Capture.JPG

For each item the information is different, but the boxes are the same (they all have a title, sku, image...etc..) but lets say I want to have the SKU be the top line and TITLE to be below, I was hoping there was a way that I could change a "master template" so all items that are in this format change rather than having to go and switch each individual SKU and TITLE and then make sure everything is lined up.

Hope I have not completely confused anyone, not quite sure how else to explain this..

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

• 1. Re: Template within a document
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

You can use the Content Placer Tool. Note: as long as the Title and SKU are separate text frames.

- First, group all the frames, this will be your template.

- Leave template on pasteboard.

- With the Content Placer Tool open, use the Content Collector Tool to add template to conveyor.

- Now you are ready to place templates on many pages, use: [Place Multiple and Keep in Conveyor] and [Create Link].

- Once you have placed templates, you can add the specific information to each frame.

- If you need to swap positions of [Title] and [SKU], adjust the template on the pasteboard.

- This is a link, and now that it is modified, you will need to update the link.

- Positions will be updated while preserving the specific information you have entered.

content.jpg

• 2. Re: Template within a document
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is the type of thing that Paragraph and Character styles are meant to do, along with Object styles for additional non-text attributes like fill colors or strokes, shadows and effects.

• 3. Re: Template within a document
              jean9l27 Level 1

Thank you!! I will give this a shot!

• 4. Re: Template within a document
                jean9l27 Level 1

So I gave this a shot and I guess my only issue still is that if I change the font or the text size in the original template when i update the links it changes all of the others back to the original template text and does not keep the changes I have made. I see how this works for just moving things around, but it still has a lot of limitations. I also tried to use the Character and Paragraph styles, and this helped to change the text for all of them, but only if they were not grouped and I didn't use the linked groups.

• 5. Re: Template within a document
                  jean9l27 Level 1

And also,

I already have all of my boxes set up.. but didn't want to have to go in and change every single one, but it seems that would be the case if I used the content placer, because I would have to change all of the text from the template to the new information.

• 6. Re: Template within a document
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If all of your paragraphs use defined paragraph styles with no local overrides, and you use defined character styles to change formatting of isolated text within paragraphs, redefining a style will change the format for all text to which that style is assigned.

• 7. Re: Template within a document
                      Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

The purpose of the Content Placer Tool is to manage the layout of frames that makeup the template. You still need to micro-manage the content within these frames with paragraph, character, table, cell, object styles.

Changing the font size, styles, etc. within the template would be done by editing the paragraph and character styles, not the template that would placed into the Content Placer Tool. Editing the paragraph and character styles will not affect the actual data entered, but will change the attributes.

• 8. Re: Template within a document
                        jean9l27 Level 1

Great, Thank you Jeffery and Peter!