5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 3:00 PM by johnrellis

Why did Lightroom delete ALL of my pictures from Flickr? Can it be fixed?

Gizmotoy Level 1

Hello,

I've loved using Lightroom over the past few years.  Recently I made the huge mistake of signing up for Adobe Creative Cloud.  Lightroom 2015.2.1 on OS X El Capitan has been insanely buggy, but only in a frustrating way up until today.

I use Lightroom to sync photos of, among other things, my son to a Flickr album for family around the country to see.  Family leaves comments and favorite the photos, so it's been a good use of the systems.  There were thousands of images on there.

Last night I added a half dozen more images as I usually do: drag them to the album in Adobe's Flickr Publishing service, right click the album, and click Publish Now.  Before publishing, I checked to make sure only the images I specified were in the listing of images to be published (I've been bitten by strange "Modified images to republish" selections a couple times on 2015.2.1 so I'm now very careful about it).  This morning I wake up to find essentially my entire Flickr album obliterated.  It deleted everything, and had maybe been slowly adding them back until it locked up (as it now does seemingly every 60 minutes even on the best days).  Of 1200 images, 5 remain.  I'm pretty sad thinking about all of that metadata that was just lost.

Is there any way to fix this?  I don't even know where to start.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Jason

• 1. Re: Why did Lightroom delete ALL of my pictures from Flickr? Can it be fixed?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
          to find essentially my entire Flickr album obliterated.  It deleted everything, and had maybe been slowly adding them back

To test my understanding: You mean the album at flickr.com has been emptied, right?  But in LR, the corresponding published collection under the Flickr Publish Service is still completely intact?  Did you double-check all your albums at flickr.com to see if the old version is still there?

The comments on the old photos should still be available in your LR catalog.  If a photo ever received comments on flickr.com, they are available via the Comments panel in the right column of the Library when you select the published photo in the published collection. Unfortunately (and unbelievably) there is no way to search in LR for photos with comments from publish services.

Note that this problem may just as likely have been caused by issues with the Flickr service itself rather than LR.  In the last year or so particular, Flickr has been very unstable, especially as accessed from third-party applications via its APIs.

• 2. Re: Why did Lightroom delete ALL of my pictures from Flickr? Can it be fixed?
            Gizmotoy Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the album on Flickr.com has been emptied.  I actually haven't fired Lightroom back up in case some recovery process required the crash state be intact.  If it's safe, I'll open it back up and see what Lightroom thinks the album/publish status may be.

I'd be kind of surprised if it was on Flickr's end considering it coincided directly with a publish event, but perhaps.  I'll contact Flickr as well to see what, if anything, they can find out about what happened and if it can be reversed.

Once you're on the CC plan, is it possible to go back to old versions of the software?  Even if this gets resolved, I still have a copy of Lightroom that locks up when switching modules, browsing the library in Grid view, and publishing (I Hard Drive, and Flickr publish services, both affected).  I've been using Lightroom since V4 and have never had so many issues as in 2015.2.x.  I even went through setting preferences back to default and deleting/reinstalling the app without success.

• 3. Re: Why did Lightroom delete ALL of my pictures from Flickr? Can it be fixed?
              I'd be kind of surprised if it was on Flickr's end considering it coincided directly with a publish event

If there is a bug in the server API that third-party applications like LR invoke, then it is entirely possible that the Flickr server deleted the photos in response to LR publishing a collection.   It's also entirely possible that there is a bug in LR's Flickr plugin -- but to date I've only seen one verified report of such a bug in CC 2015.2.1, where LR uploads keywords incorrectly.

Once you're on the CC plan, is it possible to go back to old versions of the software?

Yes. Many, many people have reverted back to CC 2015.1.1, the last stable release. Even Adobe recommends that. See these instructions: How do I roll back to Lightroom 2015.1.1 or Lightroom 6.1.1? CC 2015.3 is rumored to be coming soon, but recommend waiting for a few weeks before updating -- let others do the beta testing.

• 4. Re: Why did Lightroom delete ALL of my pictures from Flickr? Can it be fixed?
                Gizmotoy Level 1

Thanks.  I have an email in with Flickr to see what, if anything, can be done on their end.  Tonight I'll fire up Lightroom to see what it thinks the status of the publish is and decide how to proceed from there.  Most likely that will result in a downgrade to 2015.1.1 (thanks for the link) unless it seems like Lightroom is in the process of fixing the mess it made/triggered Flickr to make.

• 5. Re: Why did Lightroom delete ALL of my pictures from Flickr? Can it be fixed?
                  Tonight I'll fire up Lightroom

That will be safe -- LR won't make any more changes to Flickr until you hit Publish again.

unless it seems like Lightroom is in the process of fixing the mess

If you hit Publish again, LR may re-upload all the photos that got deleted from Flickr.com.  But I'm pretty sure it won't upload the comments (and certainly not the likes, since it doesn't download those).