9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2015 2:12 PM by red_aussie

InDesign 2015 document opens as read only

red_aussie Level 1

Hi. I have an issue with documents that I created last few days, they all open as read only and cannot re-save after changing. The work around is only to save it to a different location and then re-save into the original place. Mac 10.11 El Capitan, quad core 2.8ghz 16gig ram DDR3 - InDesign 2015.1 (11.1.0.122). Other error messages are to export to pdf sometimes with damaged error message of a database, error code 2, or most of the times: "Cannot save the document. It may be opened by other applications. Close application and try again.You may also use the saves to save it into a new document."; sorry what a load of rubbish: just opened the document, I am the only user. Would appreciate someone from Adobe to help me with this issue. I have uninstalled and re-installed the software (part of the cloud subs). Any help will be welcome.

• 1. Re: InDesign 2015 document opens as read only
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you checked to be sure that the folder is not locked, the file is not locked, and that you have write permission?

• 2. Re: InDesign 2015 document opens as read only
            red_aussie Level 1

Yes, Peter. Checked all; also reset the OS permissions; deleted and re-installed anew InDesign; played around with the sync settings, made sure all is up to date; result: create a document and saved on server (all work has been and is only saved on server) and when re-opening for correcting there is a 'read only' - save it to desktop and do a 'save as' back to the original place on the server and all is ok - now for the very bad news: if I do a package of the same file to a different place, InDesign crashes but all the files have been created in the new folder (only noticed that the crash is when creating a preview of the document). I have been using Indi for years but now in the last few days working with it is unbearable. Does anyone now how to get Adobe contacts?

• 3. Re: InDesign 2015 document opens as read only

Have you tried trashing the prefs yet? See Replace Your Preferences

• 4. Re: InDesign 2015 document opens as read only
                red_aussie Level 1

Yes, quite a lot of times. I will try doing it manually when I get back to work in the morning. I can also assure that nothing differently or new was added to the computer or a different workflow started.

• 5. Re: InDesign 2015 document opens as read only

Does it happen in a different user account, or if you start the Mac with the Shift key down?

• 6. Re: InDesign 2015 document opens as read only
                    red_aussie Level 1

Hi Peter. Sorry for my late reply: been busy and wanted to try other things. My latest, is still the same issue but noticed two things: a) I have to "save as" all files to a different location and than re-save it at the original place with the same name and no issues except when I re-open the same file a few second later it is 'read only' again. b) at the place where I do the 'save as' instead of creating a "~...~...idlk" lock file it creates a different type of file: a "DBSharingShi000-000000" (where the 0zeros are always different numbers and of a dozen or more in length). Also when I do a 'save as' back to the original location it still does not create a lock file. Further, if I try to do a package of the file InDesign crashes with "Adobe InDesign is shutting down. A serious erro was detected. Please restart InDesign to recover work...." or at a different time: "Could not complete your request because of a database error. The file "222<filename>.indd is damaged (Error code: 2); but nothing is wrong with the file since I can recover it but still as 'read only'. I have reset the preferences many times and also reset the OS El Capitan permissions. I will have to ask the IT to create me a new user account and see if the issue is still there. As I have the latest CC 2015, I don't know if the cleaner tool would work on this edition but I will try as soon I have time.

I hope someone could shed some light on this problem (time is money)

• 7. Re: InDesign 2015 document opens as read only

The DBSharing file is a temp file and I'm not sure where it belongs on Mac, but almost certainly not in the folder where the .indd is residing. My suspicion is you have some other program running that is interfering with ID. Various Chrome browser plugins as well as MacKeeper and WebRoot are known to be problematic, and any non-adobe plugin installed for InDesign is suspect. Starting the computer with the Shift key down can be diagnostic for finding a conflict with background programs.

• 8. Re: InDesign 2015 document opens as read only
                        Henrik Lideberg Level 1

I've the same problem sometimes, but it seems to work just to select the indd-file and wait for Finder to load the preview, when that image is in place, double click the file to open.

• 9. Re: InDesign 2015 document opens as read only
                          red_aussie Level 1

Hi Peter. Thanks for your suggestions. I may have finally found the culprit on why the documents open a read only. I did delete all third party plugins and the issue was still there, so I got my thinking hat on and found that a software updated in the background at the same time as the issue was starting: Trend Micro updated to the latest version and I was not aware of. Uninstalled it and all seems good now. Why it did it and why only to the documents from InDesign is a mystery and don't have time to chase. I think it may have given me a simple lesson: don't let softwares update/upgrade automatically, a bit of extra time and do it manually so you know what is been added or changed. Anyway, again thanks for your help.