9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2015 5:07 AM by SkyDiver

Can't open a .prel v14 file in PrE 10

SkyDiver

Hi,

I'm failing to open a .prel file from PrE v14 in PrE v10.

(*) Eazy to see that in v10 it's an XML file format, and in v14 it changed to some proprietary binary format.

Any help/suggestion on how to open/convert/export the v14 .prel file into v10?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can't open a .prel v14 file in PrE 10
          A.T. Romano Level 7

SkyDiver

There is no backward compatibility in Premiere Elements versions. You cannot open a Premiere Elements 14 project file in Premiere Elements 14.

There is no guarantee, but you should be able to open a Premiere Elements 10 project file in Premiere Elements 14.

There has never been the backward compatibility that you seek. What made you think it existed? You can export your Premiere Elements 14 Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive and then import that file as source media for Premiere Elements 10 project.

Please consider, and then supply more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can't open a .prel v14 file in PrE 10
            SkyDiver Level 1

Thanks for replying, ATR.

If by "export PrE 14 to the hard drive" you mean I should render the video (e.g. to .mp4 format), then this not what I need.

The point was to reuse parts of the .prel for other projects.

But... if it's not possible, then it's not.

• 3. Re: Can't open a .prel v14 file in PrE 10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SkyDiver

Thanks for the reply.

You understood correctly...you cannot open a Premiere Elements 14 project file in Premiere Elements 10. It is not possible

And, with any Premiere Elements project file, the way out for its content is through export to file saved to the computer hard drive in what you are trying to do.

I have actually tried to open a Premiere Elements 14 project file in Premiere Elements 10, and, as expected, it failed with a Premiere Elements dialog

"The project appears to be damaged, t cannot be opened." This is the classical message for the Premiere Elements condition which does not support backward compatibility in this matter.

Are you using a Windows computer?

I have done a lot of work with ClipMate (Windows only program) in conjunction with Premiere Elements for a copy/paste insert between Premiere Elements project files, but I have not tested it for 14 yet. If you want to look at the technique, please refer to

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: ClipMate Copy/Paste Between Projects

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can't open a .prel v14 file in PrE 10
                SkyDiver Level 1

Hi, have to say that although I couldn't make it work, I was impressed with the procedure and ClipMate.

So, copied the timeline to ClipMate, but was unable to paste it to PrE 10.

I saw the XML data represented as binary data in ClipMate, but couldn't find a way to easily extract it from ClipMate.

I ended up backing up ClipMate's database, and was able to extract the project's XML data from this backup.

However, it seems like the diff between versions is a heavy one.

I couldn't load the project into PrE 10. It gave me this error message: "This project was saved in an earlier development version of Adobe Premiere Pro and can no longer be read."

Writing the above made me wonder if it would open in PrE 14.

The answer is no. It gave me the following error message: "Projects created with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible. Please use the appropriate application to open this project."

Thanks for your time.

• 5. Re: Can't open a .prel v14 file in PrE 10
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SkyDiver

Thanks for the update.

I have been meaning to look at ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements 14, but I have gotten detoured.

I will look at that tomorrow and report back whether or not the procedure will be the same as for earlier versions.

I have not done much work for copy/paste insert between projects from 2 different versions. Most of my work has been with the copy/paste insert from project to project from within a given version.

I have not looked at ClipMate recently so I need to go back and recheck the whole of what I have done and not done.

Please let me know if any of the above is of interest. If it is, I will accelerate the process - getting up earlier tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

ATR

• 6. Re: Can't open a .prel v14 file in PrE 10
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

SkyDiver

Bottom Line: My tentative conclusion is the neither Premiere Elements nor ClipMate Premiere Elements supports backward compatibilities.

Windows 10 64 bit.....I can copy/paste insert between 2 Premiere Elements 14 projects or between 2 Premiere Elements 13 projects, or between 2 Premiere Elements 12 projects. I can copy 12 and paste insert into 13, but I cannot copy 13 and paste into 12.

I  will have more details on this in the morning. Also, need to confirm what I observed tonight is repeatable in the morning.

ATR

• 7. Re: Can't open a .prel v14 file in PrE 10
                      SkyDiver Level 1

Yeah, when I replied it was pretty late-night as well.

I logged in to write that I don't think 14->12 will work because the XML format looks significantly different.

The thing is - I'm not a heavy PrE user. I have a license for PrE 10 but editing now, I had a not-so-short PrE14 editing session with the evaluation version.

Maybe I'm totally missing something, but I have to say I'm not impressed with the version. Compared to PrE 10, it feels like PrE 14 took a step back.

For example, after cutting/organizing the clips I got to adding transitions. I was pretty surprised to realize that I cannot set transition time in a resolution smaller than 1 sec intervals.

OK, you can set the default transition interval to anything you like, but jumping between 5 frames dip-to-white and 15 frames cross-dissolve, etc., the process becomes pretty uncomfortable.

That's when I decided to go back to PrE 10 and edit there.

That's when I realized I cannot do this because the file format changed from XML to binary.

And that's when I posted my question here.

So, eventually, for neatness and all, I would have liked to import the timeline from PrE 14->10, but it's not the end of the world.

Since you gave the ClipMate alternative, I was interested in both testing and reporting back.

It took me a while to realize that a clip in clipmate = a clipboard entity and not a video clip entity (I initially thought it's a different video editing software).

But now, after all has been tested and we can probably both confirm that there's no backward compatibility (at least from 14->10), I actually gained a pretty cool new tool.

With your last-night replies I realized that ClipMate can also be used to copy/paste between same-software instances that do not allow exporting the clipboard otherwise.

This is brilliant!

So thank you for all the effort and for the new gained knowledge.

SkyDiver.

• 8. Re: Can't open a .prel v14 file in PrE 10
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

SkyDiver

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated. Interesting information.

Was good motivation for me to update information for ClipMate and Premiere Elements and documenting it.

Just starting my day, so still need to double check last night's results and confirm reputability of the results.

Are you OK with transitions with duration less than 1 second? I detailed the following on that a while back

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Minimum Duration For Transition

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: Can't open a .prel v14 file in PrE 10
                          SkyDiver Level 1

Thanks ATR.

When I wrote "OK, you can set the default transition interval to anything you like", I actually meant the preferences solution you refer to in your article.

I don't like this because, as I wrote: "jumping between 5 frames dip-to-white and 15 frames cross-dissolve, etc., the process becomes pretty uncomfortable".

I also don't like the drag-transition handle way because all I really want is to be able to click the time-control, write the digit 5 and have a 5 frames transition - like in good old PrE 10.

The fact that Adobe chose to degenerate this feature to full seconds without the possibility to switch it on via a preferences flag, made me worry that other features won't be available to me anymore as well.

When I realized the file format changed from XML to binary (I actually edited XML files quite a few times) - that's when I took leap back to PrE 10 for safety.

Side note: I also didn't like the overall change in the UI - felt like MS Office's dreaded ribbon feature (I'm still waiting for that one to go away )

Thanks for everything ATR.

All the best.