15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2015 5:45 AM by A.T. Romano

Large file freezes up PE7

Daffypuck

For the life of me I cannot fathom why I cant get a video editing program to work on a consistent basis. PE7 has been pretty good to me until I tried to import a 4 hr video clip to edit. Every time I import and try anything, PE7 becomes non-responsive. Ive even let it sit for 10 hrs and it doesnt resolve itself. A couple of years ago, I built, what I thought, would be a fast enough PC to handle my video editing needs. Once again, I have problems. I know my PC isnt the biggest and baddest, but it should be more than enough to handle the job of video editing. ANy suggestions to maximize my PC and get PE7 working on a consistent basis would be great. My system consists of an AMD FX-4100 Quad-core 3.60 GHz CPU, 8gb of RAM, 64 bit system, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 card, and a 500gb HDD along with an external 2TB drive. I have my virtual memory set at twice the amount of my RAM. Am I missing anything? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Daffypuck

What computer operating system?

Premiere Elements 7 is a 32 bit application whether it is installed on a 32 bit computer or 64 bit computer. As such, you are running into the basic issue with 32 bit system, namely maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3 GB or less of that are available. So, your Premiere Elements 7 cannot fully  take advantage of your computer environment as described.. Premiere Elements 10, 11, 12/12.1, 13/13.1, or 14 Windows is 64 bit application when it is run specifically on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit.

Also, you did not mention the properties of this 4 hour video clip? High resource demanding source media only make the matter worse. As for

I have my virtual memory set at twice the amount of my RAM.

Have you explored whether you do better doing that than when you  let Windows do the controlling.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/639540/how-much-memory-can-a-32-bit-process-access-on-a -64-bit-operating-system

Have you considered the above when you asked "am I missing something"?

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
            Daffypuck Level 1

Should I upgrade to a later version of PE? Im using Windows7 and the video is a full HD MP4 file. I know its the length thats causing the issues. I can get it imported and then I try to chop it up into segments. I get half way through it, and then it freezes on me. Left it on all night trying to resolve and a no go.

• 3. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Daffypuck

If a particular version is meeting your video editing needs, I am reluctant to suggest a move to a later version unless the later version has a must have feature to complete your work. And, although principles essentially stay the same from version to version, workspaces and feature locations do not. Note: version 10 and earlier workspaces are much different than for version 11 and later. And, in 14, the sharing area now called Export & Share is markedly different than that in versions earlier than it.

However, under the circumstances that you describe trying to get those longer HD projects taken to complete in Premiere Elements 7, I would suggest that you download and install the free 30 days tryout of Premiere Elements 14 from Adobe to assure its compatibility with your computer environment and your project goals. Then make you decision as to what is in your best interests. Premiere Elements 14 will be a 64 bit application in your 64 bit computer, with all the computer resources perks that go along with that situation.

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
                Daffypuck Level 1

Originally I had Windows doing the controlling and ran across a suggestion to change it to a set amount equal to twice my RAM.

• 5. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Daffypuck

Thanks for the follow up.

But, with a 32 bit application in a 64 bit system running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of that 64 bit system, there are limits for both supported RAM (Physical Memory) as well as Virtual Memory.

But, did you gain any difference (advantage) in going from Windows memory control to customized memory settings?

A while back I did a lot of web searching for articles on computer memory and collected quite a few that I thought were more helpful than others. If it would be of interest, I can try to dig them out and post links to what I thought was the best of them.

ATR

• 6. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
                    Daffypuck Level 1

No, I didnt really notice any differemce. I did take your suggestion and DL the trial PE14 version. It was very fast! When I slid the 4 hr clip to the time line, it was instantaneous. Ironic though, when I went to close PE14, it locked up on me. Ill fool around with it more and see if I like it.If I do decide to buy it, does it install over the top of my older version? I have some old projects from PE7 Im still working on. One last question, In your experience, is my PC optimal for video editing? What can I change to truly make it better?

• 7. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
                      Daffypuck Level 1

Also, is PE14 a 64 bit app?

• 8. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Daffypuck

Thanks for the update.

Premiere Elements 14 Windows will be a 64 bit application when it is installed specifically on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit computer. You should be in a good place with it and the computer resources that you described originally with Windows 7 64 bit. You mentioned Windows 7 previously, but please confirm Windows 7 64 bit.

Please check the free hard drive space at the save locations for project file (default Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/14.0) and scratch discs (See Edit Menu/Preference/Scratch Disks).

Please give the tryout a workout before making your decisions. Your 8 GB installed RAM can be taken advantage of by 14 process. And, you can always increase the installed RAM if supported by your computer motherboard and increase in size of project.

Please let us know of your progress as your time permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
                          Daffypuck Level 1

Yes, I am running W7 64-bit system.You suggested checking free HDD space. WHat is the reason for that? What is the minimum I should have? Thank you for your help.

• 10. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
                            Daffypuck Level 1

One quick question, why does PE14 take so long to render? Im saving a 4 min clip as a MPEG4 and its taking 30 minutes to render. PE7 mightve taken 3-5 minutes.

• 11. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Daffypuck

Thanks for the replies.

There are several Premiere Elements processes that automatically create and save files to the computer hard drive. The preferences need to be set up so that these files (ex. preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files) be directed to hard drive save location with enough free space to accept them. Also, during disc encoding, temporary encoding files are generated. They too much be directed to a hard drive location with enough free space to accept them. How much free hard drive space do you need? Depends on the nature of your project...could be 500 GB upward. You mentioned a 1 or 2 GB hard drive earlier. Where are the mentioned files being sent? Are you doing a lot of Timeline rendering?

Do you still have Premiere Elements 7 on the same computer as Premiere Elements 14. If so, see how long it takes 7 do export the same Timeline content as 14.

With regard to burn time, what is the complexity of your Timeline? Have you been using Shake Reduction under the Adjust Tab? What MPEG4 export for 14 and what export for 7?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
                                Daffypuck Level 1

Ive tried to burn the same clip in 7, but it just freezes up. Im wondering, the program I used to export the clip saved it as an MPEG4. Im wondering if its the clip format that is causing the hiccup in 7.

(I just imported the 4 hr clip and was able to cut a 5 min segment out of it and delete the remaining 3hrs55m. I then tried to render the short clip. No problems. But when I try and time stretch the 4 hr clip down to a 5 min clip, then try to render it, it freezes up and becomes non-responsive. What could possibly be the issue? Im perfectly happy with PE7 and dont really want to pay for another upgrade if I can resolve this one issue.

• 13. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Daffypuck

Thanks for the update. Please clarify

1. When you say that you tried to burn the same clip in 7 and the program froze, to what clip are you referring? Is the 4 hour clip in 7 the same clip as in 14 if 14 was used in the 4 hours to 5 minutes tests? And in my question 1 and 2, is the 4 hour clip standard definition or high definition?

2. In the next part where you talked about the 4 hour clip to 5 minutes

a. One via Time Stretch to take the 4 hour clip to 5 minutes

b. One where you cut 5 minutes from the 4 hour clip (presumed with scissors tool) and got rid of the rest that you saw....

was that done in the tryout of Premiere Elements 14?

With the Time Stretch way, the Speed % setting is telling the program how many frames to make in 1 frame in order to shorten the duration of the file.

If the Time Stretch Speed % was 500%, then the feature is being told to make every 5 frames into 1. When that shorten file is on the Timeline you cannot record the original file by dragging on its right and left edges.

With the cut out way (presumed with the scissors tool), you are hiding frames not cutting them out. Consequently, when this shorten segment is on the Timeline, you can drag out right and left edges of the file to recover the whole file.

When you talk about rendering, I am assuming that you are referring to Timeline rendering....

If you compare the Timeline render time

Timeline rendering for 1 minute file = 2 minutes and 5 seconds for 1 minute clip from 9 minute clip with Time Stretch Speed % over 100....fast motion

Timeline rendering for 1 minute file = 35 seconds for 1 minute clip cut out from 9 minutes clip with scissors tool.....no fast motion

This would suggest to me a possible extra load for the 4 hour file taken to 5 minutes with Time Stretch even for this 64 bit application in the 64 bit system.

I do not believe that the Premiere Elements 7 issues goes to 4 hours of .mp4 video, rather 4 hours.

Please consider the above, and explore and experiment before you make any decisions for changing your workflow. Then we will work on this some more. I addressed the above from the Timeline render point of view. If you were referring to rendering in the exporting/encoding sense of the word, then I will address that next.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 14. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
                                    Daffypuck Level 1

I didnt mean burn, I meant render. In the past, I have used 7 to timestretch 2.5 hour videos down to 10 min clips with no problems.Its not until now, using an MP4 3hr 55m clip do I have problems. I really thinkl its the length of the clip and not the settings or properties. It is 1920x1080 HD clips.

• 15. Re: Large file freezes up PE7
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Daffypuck

Thanks for the follow up to validate my assumption for post 13 that we were at that point dealing with Timeline rendering.

Have you looked at varying the length of the import in 7 and 14 to determine what the cut off point would be for problems versus no problems?

ATR