• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

version 8 project compiles on Robohelp 2015 but is flaky

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been using RH for years and the current version of our CHM file was compiled on RH8.  Now the person who maintained the help system is no longer around and I, new to RoboHelp, am trying to make the RH8 project work with the trial version of RH2015.  The build declares itself to be successful although there is a HHC5003 error.  The resulting CHM file loads normally and seems to have everything in it.  But clicking on TOC and index entries most often has no effect (i.e. does not change the content panel) but sometimes works correctly.  The pattern seems random and varies from build to build.  The clicks give an audible feedback whether they work or not.

Clicking on the HHActiveX ribbon, however, always displays a topic.  The registry shows that the 2015 version of HHActiveX.dll is registered.

Anyone see how I could fix this?

Bill Below

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This is a new one on me. If you open one of the sample projects are you able to compile and use it successfully?

If so, it would seem to point to an issue with your upgraded project.

As an aside, there are many things that can fail to work in CHM files for various reasons. For example, if the CHM were on a network drive, you would be able to click the TOC but nothing would show over where you see the topics. Move it from the local drive to your C drive and all is well again. So that was one thought, but as you say it sometimes works I'll have to rule it out.

You mention the HHActiveX.dll file. That file provides the browse sequence bar as well as the Glossary. It has nothing to do with the TOC. And with the advent of 64 bit operating systems we now see two versions of the HHActiveX.dll file. One for use with 32 bit systems and another for 64 bit systems. But if this file were the issue, it's usually all or nothing. If it's not properly registered, you simply don't see the browse sequence bar or the Glossary.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

The Travel the Whirls sample compiles and the resulting chm file seems to work normally.  I have no doubt the problem is in my project.  My problem is finding it.  I thought of trying to locate version 8.0.0.203 which created the current project but I don't think it supports Word 2010 which is what I have.  Is that correct?

If anyone wants to take a look at the project I'd be happy to send it.

Thanks,

Bill 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. See the Contact page on my site and follow the instructions there. It

might be a few days before I can look.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you have sent me is a RoboHelp for Word project. RoboHelp for Word last shipped with RoboHelp 10. How exactly did you open this project?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it was created and used by my predecessor on RoboHelp for Word 8.0.  I opened it with RH2015, compiled it and got a chm file that almost worked.  This led me to believe that Adobe intended some upgrade or import ability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but it is not that simple.

The theoretical way to open a Rh for Word project in Rh HTML is to click

Import on the splash screen when you open Rh, then click WinHelp project.

Some people have had problems converting so see Snippets on my site and

look in the RoboHelp for Word section for information on how one person

tackled the job.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2015 Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it working.  Adobe tech support said I was going to have problems upgrading a project from Rh8 for Word directly to 2015 and suggested an intermediate step of Rh10 or 11.  I got a trial copy of Rh10 and opened the original project and produced a .chm file.  This file had problems similar to those described earlier in this thread.  The topics seemed to be present but I could not reliably navigate to them from the TOC or index.  Then I got a trial copy of Rh8 and it upgraded the original project and produced a correct chm file.  I opened the upgraded Rh8 project, now with a xpj project file, in Rh10 and was again able to make a good chm file. I repeated the process with Rh2015 and now have a working Rh2015 project.

In all cases I opened the xpj (or hpj for the original project) file and was prompted for an upgrade.  I did not use any of the splash screen import options.  In both Rh10 and Rh2015, the upgrade hung in a tight loop after a few seconds.  I killed the process and restarted the upgrade (ignoring the warning about proceeding with the same files after a failed upgrade) and it was successful.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am glad that your problem is resolved, even though in theory all those steps should not be necessary.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp