1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 1:04 AM by khatwani

Help me spec my laptop

vbnut Level 1

The display on my old laptop died and is too expensive to replace, so I'm looking at replacing it.  I'm leaning towards the Dell XPS 13 with the 3200x1800 display, but I'm trying to decide which configuration I should get.

I do most of my Lightroom work on my Dell XPS 8500 desktop (Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, SSD for the OS and another for the catalog along with a 1.5 TB SATA drive for my images. Historically I've only used my Lenovo X201T laptop (Core I7-620LM 2.0 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD) for importing when I take picture while traveling, and for culling (requiring frequent zooming to 1:1).

For the new XPS 13, I'm trying to decide between the Core i5-6200U 2.8 Ghz and the Core i7-6500U 3.1 Ghz, and between 8 and 16 GB of RAM.  Obviously the i7 and 16 GB will perform better, and they are more "future proof".  The downsides are (1) increased cost ($200 for the CPU and $400 for the larger RAM - because I can only get 16 GB in the configuration that upgrades from a 256 to 512 GB SSD), (2) reduced battery life, (3) increased heat (which reviewers indicate is an issue for this machine).

I should point out, I'm using LR 5.7.1 (perpetual license) and don't expect to upgrade since it already supports my recently purchased 7DII.

Anyone have any advise on whether the i5 and 8 GB is sufficient for running LR, how much benefit I'll get from the CPU and/or memory upgrades, and whether they will be worth the downsides?

• 1. Re: Help me spec my laptop
          khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi vbnut,

Greetings!!!

i5 with 8 GB is more than sufficient for that.

Just that lightroom catalog needs more space , so make sure your hard has enough capacity for that.

I am using it on Dell 1555 laptop that has i5 and 4GN RAM and lightroom 5.7.1 runs very smoothly.

Regards

Jitendra