12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 8:31 AM by Bill Gehrke

Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing

bobcat4363

Looking at budget laptop for work at home video editing Internet short subject ad content with Premiere and After Effects.  Considering lower end Asus gaming model.

Processor: Core 6th gen i7 6700HQ

RAM: 16GB DDR4

Graphics: GeForce GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5

Storage: 1TB HD 7200 RPM

Hoping to stay around $1K.  Spending several hundred more adds 128GB SSD to HD and more RAM.  Appreciate any feedback.

• 1. Re: Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the 6th gen laptop will have nice features like ddr4, usb 3.1, and m.2 ssd's. depending on the laptop, it may only be usb 3.1 gen-1, which is basically usb 3.0. while usb 3.1 gen-2 is the new version that is 2x faster than usb 3.0. getting the base model for around $1k, you can add ssd's yourself, now or later, internal sata or m.2, or external usb 3.0 or 3.1. if you dont want/need those options, the older i7-47xxhq models may be have discounted/close-out prices, but may come with less ram. holiday and blackfriday sales should have laptop's and ssd's on sale too.

• 2. Re: Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will love it!  I hope that you will clone your OS and Applications to your 128 GB SSD 

I have a suggestion on workflow that I am using very successfully.  Get yourself a Samsung T1 USB 3.0 drive and put all your project files and media on it and edit away.  Why not a USB 3.1 Flash drive because I have yet to find one that equals the real tested performance of this drive.  Tom's has benchmarked some USB 3.1 ports up to 700 MHz read and write rates but real world they did not do as well.  A nice advantage is that you can unplug the USB Flash Drive and walk over to a another computer and finish editing and or do your exporting..

• 3. Re: Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing
              bobcat4363 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply.  It has USB 3.1 Type-C - does not say if gen-1 or gen-2.  Internally, it supports m.2 SSD - not sure what interfaces it supports or if that matters.  I presume an external USB 3.1 connected SSD or an internal m.2 SSD would be a big improvement over the installed internal 7200 RPM HD.  Factory installed OS would be on HD, so I would put editing apps and media content files on the SSD, right?  Internally, the memory can easily be upgraded from 16GB.  If I go with this unit, I'm guessing that my money would be better spent on SSD first and RAM later.

• 4. Re: Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing
                bobcat4363 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply.  Great idea about upgrading to an internal m.2 SSD and cloning the original 1TB 7200 RPM HD to the new drive.  Would it make sense to put other apps like office and their files on the 7200 RPM HD, and video editing apps and content on the internal SSD or an external USB 3.1 connected SSD?

• 5. Re: Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing

you should be able to download the manuals for any models you are looking at to get some info, like which usb, and what storage options. i looked at one that might be similar to the $1k skylake model you are looking at, it says usb 3.1/type-c 5gbit, which is 3.1 gen 1. it also showed 1 sata drive spot, 1 m.2 spot, and 1 ram spot. 16gb ram may be fine, it will depend on your projects and which other programs you plan on using. the info on the memory in the manual i looked at doesn't give much info, it might have two sticks but only access to one... 

depending on what you want to do, you could populate one or both drive slots with ssd's. if both, sata ssd being slower would be better for os/apps, then the faster m.2 to hold media/cache/etc. if you need more space than the 512gb m.2 drive, the 1tb model will be coming out some time later. if 1tb is still too small or too expensive, you could swap assignments and get a small m.2 for os/apps/cache and large sata ssd to hold media. you could also use the smaller m.2 ssd, keep the 1tb hdd for backups, and then use a usb ssd for media. it does say the m.2 drive does not support sata type m.2, so maybe it only takes pcie m.2. it might be one of those things to check asus forums and/or email them before buying an m.2 drive to make sure it's compatible. the samsung 950 pro is currently the best pcie m.2. all of this will depend on the model, so again, check manuals and any other info you can find on the laptop(s) you are considering.

• 6. Re: Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing
                    bobcat4363 Level 1

Thank you RoninEdits - this is great information. I'll definitely check out he manuals before making a purchase.

• 7. Re: Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing

those are just some of the combinations of drives you can do. there are others that may better fit your budget and/or storage capacity needs. i did want to add that the samsung 950 pro m.2 drive is fast enough to hold everything, the os, apps, cache, and media. so if you are working with small enough projects, you would only need to add one m.2 ssd. you could then move/archive projects onto the 1tb hdd and/or a usb backup hdd when done.

• 8. Re: Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing
                        bobcat4363 Level 1

Hello RoninEdits ... have appreciated advice and hope you are still there.  Never pulled the trigger on earlier Asus ROG laptop 2 months ago.  Have increased budget somewhat and now looking at HP ZBook Studio G3 with same quad core i7 6700HQ processor, but with 32GB memory, 512GB pcie ssd, Nvidia quadro M1000M, and 1080i HD display.  Same plan for portable laptop for video editing smaller projects with adobe premiere pro and after effects connecting to larger display for home and thunderbolt to external storage.  Feel good about most of the specs, but I've seen premiere system requirements and read in this forum about Nvidia quadro - think minimum suggested is the M3000M.  No plans for 4K, but perhaps some 3D rendering with after effects.  Haven't really checked competing laptops focusing instead on this new entry launched in December.  Would again appreciate opinion on new choice.

• 9. Re: Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing

that m1000m is a deal breaker for premiere and possibly AE. the zbook 17 G3 has better quadro options, but also seems to cost around $3k+ configured. asus and msi have gaming laptops with similar memory, better nvidia gpu's, at varying prices. some even have a faster cpu, the i7-6820HK for the same price as the HP. last gen's models with the i7-4720HQ and i7-4710HQ, are similar speed to the i7-6700HQ. if you want thunderbolt support, it may only be in certain i7-6xxxx cpu laptops.

this asus model says it has thunderbolt 3, gtx 965m, supports m.2, and upto 64gb ram. only seems to come with 1tb hdd, so the ssd and memory upgrade would add to the cost.

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201509AM220002986

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232765&cm_re=ASUS_ROG_G752VL-_-34 -232-765-_-Product

here is a newegg search that shows other gamer laptops with higher memory and gpu's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%20600440394%20600337 010%20601107729%20600003982%20600536650%20601114472%20600536648%204814%20&IsNodeId=1&bop=A nd&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

here is roughly how the quadro's stack against the gtx's. i wouldn't go below the gtx 965m/qudro m3000m.

quadro m1000m = gtx 950m

quadro m2000m = gtx 960m

quadro m3000m = gtx 965m

quadro m4000m = gtx 970m

quadro m5000m = gtx 980m

• 10. Re: Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing
                            bobcat4363 Level 1

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.  Talked to HP Sales today and am now looking at the ZBook 17.  Studio now back-ordered, but moot as M1000M dealbreaker as you noted.  Bigger display and heaver, but I think I should be good with the core i7-6700HQ, 32 GB RAM, and NVIDIA Quadro M3000M.  The internal storage features are limited as PCIe and M.2 options not available until later in 1H16.  Option now is two slots with 256GB SATA III, and may consider fast and portable USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt external drive if not crazy expensive.  The total price is around $2600.  For a few hundred more can get i7-6820 processor or M4000M.  What is your opinion on external devices for video editing content rather than internal storage?

• 11. Re: Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing

the cpu is most important for premiere and especially AE. the cpu upgrade might be around 10% faster, the gpu upgrade might be around 20%. those are rough guesstimates and may be more or less than those numbers.

as bill mentioned earlier, he has been using a samsung t1 usb 3 ssd drive with good results. he also pointed out earlier it can be convenient for quickly moving a project to another computer, instead of waiting to transfer data to drives. thunderbolt 2 and 3 are faster and better connections vs usb, but may not be worth the extra cost for a thunderbolt drive or empty enclosure. if the hp zbook you are getting supports usb 3.1 gen 2 (10gb), you can look for a usb 3.1 gen 2 (10gb) ssd enclosure and buy a samsung ssd to make your own usb ssd drive, faster than the samsung t1 usb 3.0 interface. if you don't need the portability of an external ssd, then internal sata ssd will make for less external devices and wires.

• 12. Re: Budget Asus laptop work at home video editing
                                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you considered a custom laptop?  Here are some sites that can already provide you PCIe M.2 SSD support.

1. Eric at ADK specializes in video editing computers and ADK gives lifetime technical support
                                2. Xotic PC have a dazzling array of customizable laptops.
                                3. Sager is another laptop customizer.