5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 11:20 AM by Willi Adelberger

InDesign - Typical Display images appear Black/White and Grainy

akprzy

Please help! I have scoured the internet looking for a solution to this issue for many years, and have typically been able to work around it until now.

A little background first: All images are saved as flat, .eps, CMYK, 300 dpi (roughly 6 inch square) with clipping paths. All images are created from the same Photoshop file (working template) - picture of a single bucket on a white background, with an existing clipping path. Illustrator artwork is placed into this file and warped to create images for the different products we make. (Rather than photographing each bucket with a label on it.)

1st Issue:

What appears to be completely random, sometimes placed or re-linked images in InDesign appear as black and white dotted images (Typical Display). I used to get frustrated with it but since I could not find a solution, I usually ignore it because the 'High Quality Display' works fine.

Both of these buckets below were created from the same photoshop file, on the same day, saved in the same manner. Both shown here at Typical Display.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 11.54.26 AM.png

Same buckets again, both at 'High Quality Display'.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 11.54.41 AM.png

2nd Issue:

Now I am creating a new InDesign Template 'Data Sheet' for our products and each sheet will have 3 buckets shown. Since the buckets are white, I am adding drop shadows and inner shadows to create some depth. I want to be able to create a Standard Template since multiple designers in our department will be accessing this and when they create a new Data Sheet, all they have to do is re-link the bucket photos to the new product (which will be created from the same, existing photoshop template) and all drop shadows/inner shadows remain the same.

On the images that become black and white grainy (the 3085 above), the effects are being applied to the colored areas of the buckets, not the clipped bucket path.

This screen shot below shows both buckets at High Quality Display. I selected both images and am trying to apply the same exact drop shadow, but as you can see the one on the left is almost ghosting the bucket image. Both images have the same exact clipping path on them. Please help!

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 11.55.34 AM.png

• 1. Re: InDesign - Typical Display images appear Black/White and Grainy
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

EPS is no longer a recommended format for use with InDesign. Since these files have some vector content as well as raster, save as Photoshop PDF and see if it helps.

• 2. Re: InDesign - Typical Display images appear Black/White and Grainy
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
            1. Never use EPS in InDesign, it is an old outdated file type. Avoid postscript as it does neither support transparency nor color management.
            2. The preview in InDesign depends on the embedded preview and the preview settings in InDesign.
            3. Don't use CMYK files. Use RGB files instead. Convert them upon output as PDF or leave them even there as RGB when you export PDF/X-4 for print.

Use PSD when transparency is used.

Use PDF when text or vector layers are included.

Use JPG with high quality with photos without layers or transparency.

• 3. Re: InDesign - Typical Display images appear Black/White and Grainy
              akprzy Level 1

Thank you, Peter.

I am going to research this a bit more online now.  Unfortunately we have a massive product photo library, and for years our "rules" have been to save a CMYK .eps file with a clipping path (flattened) from Photoshop so that it could be placed in InDesign and Illustrator (for various things: packaging, flyers, catalogs, etc.).

We are an in-house graphics department with very short turn-around times and high-volume work load. Most of our packaging standards require images of the product, clipped to the edges with no background... Yet I'm afraid using layered PSD files with removed backgrounds will increase the artwork file size. We have a decent size server to support our library, but with so many sku's (and growing) it would be ideal to save one file to be used for print material with a clipping path (rather than multiple versions of the same photo for different programs).

Since the clipping path is essential for us, does the Photoshop PDF format work well with Illustrator, too? Are TIFF files a good option?

Thank you very much for your time and help!

• 4. Re: InDesign - Typical Display images appear Black/White and Grainy
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The PDF should present no problem for Illustrator, and while .tif won't preserve your vector content (and that means your text will be less legible), I'm confident it will give you less trouble than .eps in InDesign.

• 5. Re: InDesign - Typical Display images appear Black/White and Grainy
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

RGB would decrease the file size compared to CMYK and increase flexibility and quality.

Clipping paths could also be embedded into JPG files. Less file size than EPS.

You should not follow your ancient workflows from the 90s, as we live in 2015!