9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2015 9:10 AM by A.T. Romano

Burning a DVD in PE14

Rajrae

I recently upgraded from PE10 to PE 14. In PE10 I could burn a DVD disc right from the program. Now with PE14, it does not see the burner and I have to 1st burn to an iso image to the computer, and then burn THAT to the disc using Windows. Can anyone explain this, or tell my how to change the settings so it will burn my DVD disc right from PE? Thank you.

• 1. Re: Burning a DVD in PE14
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What operating system are you running?

This problem is least likely on Windows 10 or Mac OSX.

• 2. Re: Burning a DVD in PE14
            Rajrae Level 1

Windows 8.1. I'm delaying going to Win 10 for a little while. Why would Win 10 make a difference?

• 3. Re: Burning a DVD in PE14
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rajrae

Is your problem now that you have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 10 64 bit where before you had it on Windows 8.1 64 bit. Is that the situation?

Determining why your burner is not being recognized now by Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 10 64 bit takes some troubleshooting before pointing to a specific cause.

1. What video card/graphics card does your computer use? NVIDIA GeForce or other? In the move to Windows 10 64 bit, did you notice if the video card/graphics card driver version was automatically updated?

2. Do you have the QuickTime 7.7.6 installed on your computer? And, are you running the programs as administrator from a user account with administrative privileges?

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

This is what I would like you to do as start...

1. If you have a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card, Stop and report back. If not, then go on to "2".

2. Install QuickTime 7.7.6 if not already. (Uninstall prior version before install of 7.7.6).

3. Go to Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\ and in the Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Folder, find the file specifically named Adobe Premiere Elements.exe. Right click that file and select and apply Run As Administrator. Then double click the file to open Premiere Elements 10 to its Timeline workspace.

4. Then go to Share/Disc/DVD disc and determine if the Burner Location field displays your burner(s). Also, determine if the AVCHD and Blu-ray choices have the burner in the Burner Location field of the burn dialog.

If still no burner named in the Burner Location of the burn dialog, then

Uninstall the usual control panel way

Do free ccleaner run through (regular and registry parts) CCleaner - Download

Reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled

Please consider. Then we can decide what next if none of the above resolves the issue.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Burning a DVD in PE14
                Rajrae Level 1

No, ATR, what you have described is not the situation.

I am running Win 8.1 64 bit, from Administrator account.  I was using PE10, but now am using PE14. I do "Run as Administrator."  I no longer have PE10 on my computer.   I did not have the problem of burning straight to disc when using PE10. The problem started when I upgraded to PE14. When I try to burn to disc it tells me "No Burner Detected."   I must first burn an ISO image file to my computer, then burn THAT to a DVD disc.

QuickTime 7.78.80.96 installed.

NVIDIA GeForce GT650M and Intel HD Graphics 4000.

I regularly run CCleaner on my computer.

I use a Laptop connected to another monitor through a Toshiba DynaDock 3.0

One more confusing detail is that when I set it to AVCHD instead of DVD it DOES detect the burner. But I tried that with one of my videos and it did not work right either.

Thank you for trying to help me figure out this mystery.

• 5. Re: Burning a DVD in PE14
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Rajrae

Thanks for the reply with clarification. Appreciated.

In going from Premiere Elements 10 to 14 on Windows 8.1 64 bit, you appear to have escaped the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue.

But, also consider that Premiere Elements typically has problems with computers that use more than one video card/graphics card. The typical solution is to disable the added card and go with the built in card. For troubleshooting purposes, is it possible to disable the NVIDIA GeForce and go with the Intel HD Graphics 4000? The Intel HD Graphics 4000 and its preference should enable Hardware Acceleration for rendering, playback, and exporting. And, it may have impact on the export situation in general.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: Hardware Acceleration Preference

Also, it may seem unnecessary, but I would consider the following nonetheless, especially for 14.

a. Go to Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 14\ and in the Adobe Premiere Elements 14 Folder find the file specifically named Adobe Premiere Elements.exe.

b. Right click that file, select and apply Run As Administrator. Then double click the file to open Premiere Elements 14 workspace and determine if the burner not found situation still exists.

Frequently overcoming the burner not found issue has been associated with the uninstall/cleaner/reinstall troubleshooting. Have you gone through that yet?

ATR

• 6. Re: Burning a DVD in PE14
                    Rajrae Level 1

OK, I tried disabling the GeForce graphics card and made sure the "Use Hardware Acceleration" was checked in the PE14 settings.  No change. Still "No burner detected" for DVD. (Again, it does show the burner for the ACVHD option, but then says there is not enough space on the 4.7GB disc, even if I have "fit to available space" checked.)

No, I have not tried the uninstall/cleaner/reinstall yet. Does that mean I should uninstall PE14, run CCleaner, then reinstall it? I do not want my projects deleted. I know Adobe will offer for me to save them, but I'm worried that Cclnr will remove them. Please advise before I try this.

• 7. Re: Burning a DVD in PE14
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Rajrae

Thank you for going through the suggestions.

You should not lose your Premiere Elements project files if you do the uninstall (Control Panel way), free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts), and then reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

CCleaner - Download

This is only the free product that I am pointing to. The free ccleaner should not remove project files. See its web site's details of what you are deleting. I have used the product with its default settings and had only benefits and no horror stories to date when I have found it necessary to use it.

But, it is your decision. Do you have an alternative burner that you could use for comparison troubleshooting before you make your decision. I am not guaranteeing that this uninstall/free ccleaner/reinstall is going to work to restore the burner recognition in the burn dialog. But, the probability is high that it will.

The major way to mess up your project files is if you move, delete, or rename any of the files that were imported into the project after the project was saved closed. When you import media into the project all you get are copies of the originals that remain on the hard drive save location. But, the copies in the project need to trace back to the originals where they were when you first imported them into the project.

We will be watching for further developments.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Burning a DVD in PE14
                        Rajrae Level 1

It worked! Very pleasantly surprised. LOL Thanks so much for your good suggestions. I appreciate the help VERY much.

• 9. Re: Burning a DVD in PE14
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rajrae

Wonderful news. Great job of follow through on the suggestions to gain your success.

In my own work, I have not been troubled with the Premiere Elements "burner not recognized" problem. Yesterday I was.

My solution was a surprise to me also. In my case, changing the drive letter for the burner resulted in the burner being recognized by Premiere Elements 14 Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR