3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 2:22 PM by rob day

How do I save my file automatically into my working folder?

Desiree Lyttle

Our studio department recently switched over to CC 2015 from CS6. When we open InDesign files that were CS6 files, the file name displays at the top with the words (converted) beside it. When I so a save of the file, it automatically pops up with a Save As window. Everytime the "Save As" window pops up, it wants to save the file to the last folder I saved a file to Instead of the current working folder that I opened the file from in the first place. It also does the same thing when exporting PDF files from InDesign, it wants to places the PDF file in the last folder I saved a PDF into instead of the current working folder.

There used to be an option in InDesign Preferences to tell it where you wanted files to save to and that option is not there anymore.

We are loosing so much time in a day having to scroll thru all the files in our server to either pick the right folder, or finding the file afterwards when we forgot to choose the right folder when we saved.

Is this saving option really gone or just moved somewhere else?

• 1. Re: How do I save my file automatically into my working folder?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think you are mis-remembering the preference item. There is a choice for where to look when relinking, but the behavior with converting files from previous versions has always been this way.

And I would caution against overwriting the old versions. Use a new name -- you never know when you're going to need that old file again because the new one goes suddenly bad.

• 2. Re: How do I save my file automatically into my working folder?
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This behavior is exactly the same as it’s always been.

• 3. Re: How do I save my file automatically into my working folder?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              We are loosing so much time in a day having to scroll thru all the files in our server to either pick the right folder, or finding the file afterwards when we forgot to choose the right folder when we saved.

If you are using OSX try this Applescript for saving converted files. It automatically saves the file to the same folder with a 2015 suffix added.

--Saves converted in same folder with 2015 suffix

set a to "2015"

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2015"

tell active document

--get the file's path and name and append

try

set n to name

set n to (characters 1 thru -6 of n as string) & a & ".indd"

set filepath to file path & n as string

end try

--if it has been converted save to the same path with no dialog, otherwise save

if converted is true then

save to filepath

else

save

end if

set filepath to file path & name as string

end tell

end tell