2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 9:40 AM by robertscholl

How to re-link hard drive on new PC

robertscholl

I see questions and answers of locating missing files and folders all over the forums but I can't seem to find the answer to this. My photo library harddrive was moved into a new PC and I have a new LR install, but opened and updated my backed up catalog. The hierarchy of the folders changed a little in that I just moved it up a level. But all the photos are still in their respective folders as before. I know how to link individual missing photos, but I have over 25,000 missing right now. The HD I use shows up in LR on the left pane but there are no folders beneath it because obviously it's not linked. Is there a way to link the entire HD so it then finds all the folder below? I can't even use the Find Missing Folder option because there are no folders showing that are even grayed out. Very frustrated. Thanks for any tips.

• 1. Re: How to re-link hard drive on new PC
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should see the folders displayed in their original location, and each one of those folders should have a "?" on it. If that is the case, you should be able to right-click on the topmost folder and choose to update the folder location. If you can do that it will update the location of all subsequent folders.

• 2. Re: How to re-link hard drive on new PC
            robertscholl Level 1

Thanks for the tip. I finally figured that out after noticing the "original" HD listed with everything grayed out. It was kind of out of the way tucked at the bottom of the list and didn't notice it. I kept mistakenly looking at the new drive and trying to figure out how to link that.

Thanks.

"