3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2009 1:39 PM by pixlor

Colors look odd

sawilson09
      I just got the new CS4 version and am working on a graphic in fireworks utilizing a template graphic. Whenever I open up any exhisting graphic in fireworks, the colors in the image are not the actual print colors. I am not sure if this makes sense and I am sure there is some property I have to change somewhere but I can figure it out. Anyone know what this is?
        • 1. Re: Colors look odd
          Level 7
          sawilson09 wrote:
          > I just got the new CS4 version and am working on a graphic in fireworks
          > utilizing a template graphic. Whenever I open up any exhisting graphic in
          > fireworks, the colors in the image are not the actual print colors. I am not
          > sure if this makes sense and I am sure there is some property I have to change
          > somewhere but I can figure it out. Anyone know what this is?

Print colors and screen colors are two different color spaces. Was your
          template done in CMYK perhaps? If yes, that's the cause of the color
          shift. Fireworks works in RGB color space and does not use embedded
          color profiles.

--
          Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Colors look odd
            sawilson09 Level 1
            But my confusion is, is that I had done the same thing with the CS3 version and never had that issue.
            • 3. Re: Colors look odd
              pixlor Level 4

CS3 is the same way. Perhaps the items you worked on used different profiles that were not so different or the colors themselves were not ones that shift much.

Fireworks is for creating Web/screen graphics so it does not have support for print-specific features. If you're designing for print, you don't want to use Fireworks.