1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 7:12 PM by ManiacJoe

Importing sRGB pictures as Adobe RBG in Lightroom CC

sonny_k22 Level 1

I have my Nikon D810 for over a year now, and up until a month ago, I was mistakenly taking my pictures in sRGB instead of Adobe RGB.  I was unaware of this setting until a month ago. I am not a Pro, and I just use my camera when I take family pictures or when I go traveling. 

I was using Nikon ViewNX 2 before, so I didn’t see anything bad in my RAW photos, but when I started importing my picture into Lightroom CC about a month ago, I realized I did not set my camera Color Setting to Adobe RGB right from start; all the pictures look very dull and with bad contrast.  All my pictures were taken in 14bit RAW format.

I heard it is possible in Lightroom to import these RAW images, so that they look pretty much the same as they appear on the Nikon ViewNX 2 software.  Also, I have always turned off most of the camera settings such as Active D-Lighting, etc.  I am new to the Lightroom and would appreciate it if you can guide me on import my pictures in Adobe RGB and not sRGB.

• 1. Re: Importing sRGB pictures as Adobe RBG in Lightroom CC
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Raw files do not have a color space. sRGB vs AdobeRGB only matters to JPG files (and to the JPG preview in the raw files).

When Nikon View NX2 reads your NEF files, it applies the Picture Control settings (standard, vivid, neutral, etc) to the resulting image. LR does not do this since the Picture Control data is proprietary to Nikon (ditto for Canon's data and Sony's data). Instead, Lightroom applies its own profile to your images "Adobe Standard". You can pick a different profile to apply. You can also setup a different profile to use when you import the images, should you desire to do so.

The way I get my camera's LCD and Lightroom to show the image the same way is to set the camera to use the "neutral" Picture Control, and I have created a develop preset that uses LR's "camera neutral" profile that gets applied during the import process.