11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2015 10:36 AM by ramarren

Slide show module seems to be broken in 6.3

ramarren

Every time I try to use the Slide Show module, I get a notification saying that there was a problem switching modules.

Help please. I use the Slide Show module rather a lot. If this is broken, I'll be returning to v6.1.1.

Running on a Mac mini (mid-2012 quad core i7) with 16G RAM, 950G SSD internal, lots of external hard disk space, etc.

thx!

• 1. Re: Slide show module seems to be broken in 6.3
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi ramarren,

Greetings.

1. Open Creative cloud application
          2. Sign out of the CC app by clicking on the gear icon - preferences - sign out
          3. Now launch Lightroom and it will ask you to sign in
          4. Use your ID and Password to sign back in
          5. Now check if you can access any of the modules
          6. If the issue still persists uninstall LR from CC app and then reinstall LR.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Slide show module seems to be broken in 6.3
            ramarren Level 1

Rohit,

I don't subscribe to CC.

My copy of Lightroom 6 is a perpetual license installation running on OS X "El Capitan".

The Library and Develop modules work fine. Import and Export work fine. Book, Map, Web, and Print all seem to work fine, although I haven't tested them thoroughly.

The Slide Show module is the problem. I can get into Slide Show, I can view photos in my templates, but I cannot run the slide show to screen or output to JPEGs, PDF, or video. Once I'm in, it's a 50:50 proposition as to whether Lr 6.3 will hang when I use the Quit command.

I've uninstalled and re-installed Lr 6.3 twice. The Slide Show module is still dead. In my Applications folder, this is what I have in Adobe software:

Adobe (folder containing various help things)

Adobe Photoshop CS5.1

Adobe Bridge CS5.1

Adobe Lightroom

Adobe Device Central CS5.5

Adobe Extension Manager CS5.5

Adobe DNG Converter.app

Adobe Download Assistant.app

Any other suggestions?

thanks,

Godfrey

• 3. Re: Slide show module seems to be broken in 6.3

Hi ramarren,

Hope this helps

Regards

Rohit

• 4. Re: Slide show module seems to be broken in 6.3
                ramarren Level 1

Thank you for the assistance.

I already own and had QuickTime 7 installed and my Pro serial number registered, but I re-installed it just to be sure.

I tried all the options on the page.

Unfortunately, none of them changed the behavior: every time I click on the Slide Sho module, a notifier is presented which says "An error occurred when attempting to change modules." After that on the first attempt, I can get into the Slide Show module, choose templates, etc, but running a slide show or exporting to either JPEG, PDF, or Video do nothing.

What's next?

thanks,

Godfrey

• 5. Re: Slide show module seems to be broken in 6.3

Would suggest you to contact customer care - Contact Customer Care

Regards

Rohit

• 6. Re: Slide show module seems to be broken in 6.3
                    ramarren Level 1

Thank you again.

I just tried the link you sent me. This is the note I submitted to feedback as a result:

"Problem with Lightroom 6.3 — no support.

Your support system has thus far been useless for the problem I'm having with Lightroom 6.3 (perpetual license). You can see the thread I started at: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8192815#8192815

I've put hours and hours into trying to make this work. I've done all of the steps that were suggested. None worked.

Yesterday, I again went to my administrator account, used your Lightroom Uninstaller, then completely deleted ALL Lightroom preferences and Application support, re-Installed LR 6.0, updated to LR 6.3, and re-set all my preferences. I was able to get the Slide Show module to function in the administrator account. But when I log into my work/user account, delete all the LR preferences there and all the application support bits as well, it still fails to work.

I went to the support pages this morning to obtain direct support for my specific situation and discovered that you don't offer ANY support for perpetual license users beyond the forums. How useless is that?"

I am not at all pleased.

Godfrey

rpandita wrote:

Would suggest you to contact customer care - Contact Customer Care

Regards

Rohit

• 7. Re: Slide show module seems to be broken in 6.3
                      99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Godfrey you need to go straight to the blue button; when signed-in with your Adobe ID; then click Chat 24/7

Contact Customer Care

• 8. Re: Slide show module seems to be broken in 6.3
                        ramarren Level 1

Thank you, 99jon.

I was logged into my Adobe ID when I clicked the button before. No such option was available.

Now let's see if they can actually figure out what's causing this problem. I'm at a point where my work is stalled for lack of the Slide Show module. It's an essential part of my production workflow.

Godfrey

• 9. Re: Slide show module seems to be broken in 6.3
                          ramarren Level 1

I was able to open a chat with Adobe Support with the information 99jon supplied.

With the support representative overseeing, we again ran the uninstall app, then re-installed LR 6, tested that it worked correctly (it did) and then ran the update to LR 6.3. Testing it showed that LR 6.3 SlideShow module now worked correctly.

The difference between what I did yesterday and today: My system is set up (for security) such that I have an administrator account for installation of software and system configuration and a user account for my work. Yesterday I did the uninstall/install/update sequence from the administrator account, as I usually do. Today I did the sequence from the user account. So whatever issue was causing the module switch error has to do with bits that the installation process installs into the ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe folder and/or the ~/Library/Preferences folder, on the user account, which were not affected by yesterday's installation and update process. Either some corrupted files, or some permissions issues, or whatever were not right ... I'll leave it to Adobe to sort this out for future updates.

Thanks to rpandita and 99jon here for helping out. And thanks to Adobe Support for helping out and overseeing the install that worked too.

onwards!

• 10. Re: Slide show module seems to be broken in 6.3
                            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Glad to hear it’s now working. I have updated my Macbook Pro to CC 2015.3 (still not done my Windows machine yet) and I can confirm the Slideshow module is working OK for me.  Even exporting slides as jpegs now contain the correct captions. I believe John Ellis identified this bug was previously causing the caption from the last slide to be exported incorrectly on every jpeg. I think this fix may have come with v2015.2/6.2 but I missed it amongst all the fuss over the changed import interface.

• 11. Re: Slide show module seems to be broken in 6.3
                              ramarren Level 1

I reported that bug too. It was a serious problem for my workflow. I'm glad to hear it's been fixed!

The Lr 6.2 initial crashing problems and the horrible "new Import" panel kept me from updating past v6.1.1 (I don't run CC, I have a perpetual license). I never even attempted to look at the Slide Show module in Lr 6.2.x.