12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 11:01 AM by Mrinmay Majhi

Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?

Waddizzle Level 1

I purchased Lightroom 6, not the CC version.  It installed fine, everything worked.  A few days after I had it running, I tried the 30 day trial of Photoshop CC.  Two days ago, I got an email telling me that my trial of Lightroom had expired....and now it doesn't work properly?  Some things work , and some things don't, like the Catalog and Develop.

I keep seeing links that say I can download a PDF manual on the Help page.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Lightroom / Common Questions

Nope, it ain't there.   Where is it?

• 1. Re: Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Waddizzle,

Are you getting any specific error message while accessing Develop module?

Could you please post a screenshot?

Also, please mention the operating system you are using.

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?
            Waddizzle Level 1

Let's start with why can't I see my image files anymore.  I am running Windows 7 Pro.  Everything used to work just fine.

PicturesLibrary_Detail01.PNG

That is what I see in Windows Explorer.  Notice all of the CR2 files, and the multiple folders?

Lightroom6_Catalog01.PNG

That is what I see in LR6 catalog.  Notice how not all of the sub-folders are shown?f

Lightroom6_Import.PNG

That is what I see when I try to Import the photos into LR6.  The files are greyed out because it thinks they are already imported, which they were.  It's like some folders will only show image files of one type, while another folder only shows files of another type.  This is a new behavior, since I received the email about my trial was expired.

• 3. Re: Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?
              Waddizzle Level 1

I used the trial on a DIFFERENT computer, BTW

• 4. Re: Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?
                dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom is not a file browser. Just because your Windows Explorer shows many more photos and some sub-folders, that doesn't mean that Lightroom will show the same thing. Lightroom will only show you the photos in a folder that have been imported into Lightroom.

If you have already imported the photos into Lightroom, then most likely you have imported the photos using the COPY option, meaning that Lightroom thinks the photos are somewhere else (in fact, you have two copies on your hard disk and Windows Explorer ought to find both). So you have to find the photos either in Lightroom or the 2nd copy on your hard disk. Use the search feature in Windows Explorer to search all of your hard disk(s) for one of these photos by file name; or do the search in Lightroom, click on All Photographs, then use the Filter Bar to search for one of these photos by file name.

• 5. Re: Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Explorer and Lightroom are looking at different folders:

...\pictures\canon\2015\10\2015_10_06\

...\pictures\canon\2015\10\2015_10_06\pand01

In LR, do a name search on some of the images that LR thinks are already imported to see where LR thinks they are located.

• 6. Re: Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?
                    Waddizzle Level 1

dj_paige,

Sorry, but you are making false assumptions.  I said that they were already  imported.  I said that it used to work just fine.  I did not use the COPY command to IMPORT them, not unless that is the default setting.

I also said that this problem began after I received an email telling me that my trial of LR6 had expired, something which I never signed up for.  Thanks, for your input.  I hope this encourages you to investigate further.

• 7. Re: Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?
                      Waddizzle Level 1

ManiacJoe,

I know that I am showing two different folders.  Did you notice the number inside of the little red circle?  The number "3"?  The Catalog is reporting that there are only 3 image files in the entire folder an all of its' sub-folders.  Windows Explorer is showing you all of the sub-folders, including the subfolder named "PAN01".

Curiously, the only files that Catalog is now showing in the "2015_10_06" folder are PNG files.  If I try to re-import the files, it behaves as if the files are already imported, which they were.  The files were all in the "2015_10_06" folder and its' sub-folders.  Catalog cannot find them anymore.

Here's another curious thing that happened, which could be related.  For the first time when I started Lightroom 6, it asked me to sign into the Cloud.  I have not used the Cloud on this computer before.  I only used the Cloud on another computer where I used the Photoshop Trial.  Ever since it asked me to log in before running, I can no longer see all of my files.

• 8. Re: Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?
                        Waddizzle Level 1

AH!

I just remembered one critical event that occurred, which may be the cause of all of my trouble.  Lightroom performed a 200MB download and update a day ago.  It has been quirky ever since.

• 9. Re: Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?
                          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It probably updated to 6.2.1 which is extremely buggy in import, synchronize, and export. Try running the update again, which should bring the most recent update 6.3 which has most of those bugs fixed.

• 10. Re: Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?
                            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

I know you keep saying the files cannot be found in the catalog, but did you actually do a filename search on say "img_2766.cr2"? As opposed to trying to find the files by manually searching?

• 11. Re: Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?
                              Waddizzle Level 1

Jao vdL,

I just checked.  LR6 is currently running at version 6.3.  I am almost tempted to roll back the update.

ManicaJoe,

I don't understand what you mean by "did you actually do a filename search"?  Search?  Search, using what tool?  I do not see a means in LR6 to search either the "Catalog" or the "Folders" file trees, within the Library tab.  So, I must assume that you mean using Windows Explorer, which doesn't make any sense to me because I posted a screen shot of Windows Explorer showing that the files do exist in the folder on the hard drive.  Why do you think I posted a screen shot of Explorer, anyway?

I had not turned on this computer for a couple of days, and so I powered it up so that I could update the virus software definitions and/or Windows 7 Pro, which I never actually performed.  The LR6 update had popped up first, because I had received the email saying that my "subscription had expired" [something which I never had for LR6], and I wanted to check that LR6 was running properly.  LR6 asked for an update, and I was naturally dubious.  I went ahead with the LR6 update, though, and now it doesn't function properly.

------------------------------------------------

I really dislike the "Cloud", which is totally useless to me.  I have no use, or desire, to edit/process images on a smart phone....ditto for a 7-inch tablet screen.  I already have more cloud file space and file sharing services than what I need, about 5 TB..  Why do I need to pay for more?

• 12. Re: Why can't I see all of my imported files, anymore?
                                Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Waddizzle,

Please click on the below link to use the filters to search images manually.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Find photos in the catalog

Let me know if this helps.

~Mrinmay