3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 2:34 PM by escamaya

Image along path. Path rotates 90 degrees when pasted.

LARV Level 1

Hello, I´m new to Edge and was baffled that I couldn´t find an answer when googling my problem. I can´t possibly be the first one.

I have imported a png image into my scene. I draw a path on the same layer, click auto orient, cut the math path and paste it in the image position.

The path decides to rotate itself 90 degrees. This keeps happening no matter what I do, and it seems to me that once a path has been pasted you can´t select it as a single object and turn it back (or move it at all).

When I imported the image of the aircraft it had it´s nose pointing upwards, has this got something to do with it? I also found out that resizing an image in AE is not optimal if follow path is to be used since the path will change in size according to the original imported size. Is this correct?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

dump1.jpgdump2.jpg

• 1. Re: Image along path. Path rotates 90 degrees when pasted.
          LARV Level 1

I ment "new to After Effects", sorry

• 2. Re: Image along path. Path rotates 90 degrees when pasted.
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For a mask path to work as a motion path you cannot move, rotate or scale the layer you want to use or the path will not line up. You can get away with rotation by adding a null to the timeline, parenting the layer with the motion path to the null, rotating the null then releasing the parenting. Maybe this will help:

• 3. Re: Image along path. Path rotates 90 degrees when pasted.
              escamaya

I would draw the path on another layer -say, an empty solid layer, as a mask. Then cut that path and paste it into the PNG's position property. This might be happening due to a rotation of your imported PNG; the path doesn't "know" which way is up, so it keeps the image's "up" (which is really the right side of the screen in your screenshot).

You can alternatively rotate the path before cutting it, by double clicking on it for the transformation box to come up, then rotate it by placing the mouse close to one of the corners (until you see the rotate cursor), and rotate it 90° clockwise to compensate for that rotation you're seeing. THEN copy the path and paste it into the position.