• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

tiff file displays correctly in Preview; gets cut off when opened in Bridge or Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

I'm using a Mac running OS X El Capitan (10.11.1) with Photoshop CC 2015 (16.01.1) and Bridge CC (6.1.1.10). The scanner is an Epson GT-15000.

The tiff file I'm working on now displays correctly (i.e. the entire scanned image is visible) in the scanner's Scan Results interface as well as in Preview.

Bridge and Photoshop both display about 75% of the file; the missing bit is cleaved off vertically on the right-hand side in a portrait-orientation view.

The problem occurs about 15% of the time, seemingly at random.

The latest Epson drivers and the TWAIN mac plug-in have been installed.

???

thank you for your time, 

~E

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Catfudd,

Please follow the below steps to disable the display adapter from camera raw.

> Launch Photoshop

> Click on Photoshop > Preferences > Camera Raw

> Disable use Graphics Processor

ACR Performance.PNG

> Click on Ok

> Restart the machine

> Check for the issue

Let me know if this helps.

~Mrinmay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mrinmay,

Thank you for your assistance. Unfortunately your suggestion didn't correct the error; the cut off section remains though it has a different appearance (latter image on right below)Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 1.53.07 PM.png   Section of screenshot?.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use the File > Save option in Preview to rebuild the tiff, and see if that corrects it.

If not, maybe something is going on with your graphics. Some Macbook Pros have two graphics cards. A low performance one to save battery life and a high performance card. By unticking automatic Switching in Energy Preferences, you can force the use of the High performance card.

If you had Windows, you could go to your GPU Maker's website for updated drivers, but OSX usually insists on issuing the graphics drivers.

I would advise tamping down your Photoshop GPU settings. OpenCL off. Lower drawing mode.

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 4.41.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gener7,

Thank you for your input. I tried what you'd mentioned but it didn't resolve things (well, I was able to Export in Preview but only into jpeg, not tiff).

I'm working on a desktop and didn't see an equivalent Energy Preferences-related option to change.

Perhaps I'll  just have to save as jpeg and re-save as a tiff or scan things over and hope for the best.

"If you had Windows,..."         Indeed!  At the moment I'm forced to work on a mac and I'm constantly reminded of how counter-intuitive and annoying these machines are.

Thanks again for the reply.
~E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I was wondering if we could reopen this?  I am having the same exact issue now.  I noticed it happened after I upgraded to El Capitan finally about a week or so ago.  I am currently undertaking a large family photo restoration project and was able to open up TIFF files in Photoshop just fine until I upgraded.  Strangely enough it is cutting off TIFFs that scanned in after the upgrade.  TIFFs from before the upgrade will open in Photoshop just fine.  Preview and everywhere it will show okay but in Photoshop it does EXACTLY like what's happening in the examples above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'd love an answer. How does the reopening work? i.e., what do I do if anything?

By the way, I did figure a non-solution of sorts:

Opening an incomplete file with "Grab" (this computer has ver. 1.8) makes it appear as it should,

however it greatly increases the size of the file.

I'm a consulting archivist and when I arrived at this gig El Capitan was already installed but I wonder if the upgrade is responsible...

~E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe... I am having the exact same issue and it has been over a year now... how about an official answer???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem...

my work around is opening it in preview and exporting as a JPEG, but I don't like wasting time doing this -- please find a real fix, Adobe!Screenshot 2017-01-24 18.38.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to report the same issue on Windows 7. We're scanning from an Epson Expression 1640XL. Saving the tiffs out of a different program makes them compatible with photoshop again.

This may be a niche issue, but it is a mark against a program I rely on every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem for the first time. Macbook (2012) Pro running El Capitan, photoshop CC 2015 (then later, 2017)
Epson 16500 brand new scanner/printer (if that matters).
I scanned many photos on a single bed at 1200 dpi to be saved as individual images in Tiff.

The few that I initially opened in photoshop looked fine. Then I ran the Image processor because I wanted smaller jpegs of the whole lot of them. The settings weren't giving me what I thought I remembered from a previous Photoshop. I attempted to resize them all into 1920 x 1080 px (hoping that this would just give me an approximate size reduction that would still look good.)

After the image processor ran, I looked at the folder of jpegs and noticed that several were cut off in the way shown above. The canvas size is correct, but the image is clipped on the right side. After this I started opening up the Tiffs and noticing that those same original images were clipped in photoshop (yet look fine in Mac Preview). I tried saving as into a new folder from Preview. Did not work.
I updated my Adobe CC to 2017. This did not help.

Now I wonder if the image processor did something to screw up the original or if that was just a coincidence. I would have thought the image processor wouldn't actually change the original image. Please tell me that's so or else I cannot use it in an Archive protocol.

The danger is, I also am archiving old and rare photos. So handling them multiple times is a problem. Also, I rely on the built-in preview options within the Mac OS to quickly sort and find images. If I can't rely on the integrity of the image, then that's an issue. But the fact that the images only look bad in Photoshop, makes me think this HAS to be an Adobe problem.

Any help from others would be very much appreciated.

16gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

El Capitan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on a family photo restoration process.  I'd say I get it about 1/3 of the time.

MacPro with Sierra 10.12.3, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro D700

Screenshot 2017-02-20 21.19.59.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I believe I have an answer. I found a solution for myself. I would scan an image; TIFF format through the Mac scan interface and have 1/3 of the image cut off in Photoshop but not when viewed when using the Preview application. When I tried to import the image into Lightroom I got an error message about the algorithm. Since I was scanning through the Mac OS and not through Photoshop, I decided to try scanning through Photoshop...problem solved! (Also, when scanning as a jpeg through the Mac OS scan interface, no problems.)

In Photoshop go to File-Import-Images from Devices....set up your system so you can scan using Photoshop and thus be encoding Adobe's algorithm.

If you haven't tried this relatively simple solution, try it...it worked for me. Hope it helps others with this problem...it seems to have been causing problems for several years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad this has fixed the issue for you but unfortunately it has NOT for me. When I scan from inside Photoshop it immediately displays the scanned image with the partial missing area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. We shouldn't have to use Photoshop to scan it in. Why is this happening?

I have had a very bad experience trying to glean help from Adobe in the past. I suppose this will just be another unsolved issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1flychicken​ If you are looking at the image using Preview, in the Mac OS, does it read the TIFF image? (Mine did) The algorithm that the MacOS system uses and one that Adobe uses seem to be different...if I scan in jpeg format, it is not an issue; both Preview and the Adobe applications can successfully open the image. This issue of cut off images, seems to have been going on for a number of years, but I couldn't find anyone with a clear solution.

I rarely use the TIFF format anymore and the scanning interfaces don't offer the level controls that used to be available. I use a multi-function Canon MX 922...my previous Canon Pixma 860 scanner didn't have an updated driver to interface with the latest Mac operating system updates...it could print but couldn't scan...we purchased a new printer just to be able to scan. Sorry I don't have an engineer's answer...just a fellow frustrated user with a work-around 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the same as you describe. Exactly. Do you think scanning in as a jpeg is comparable?

Thanks for your reply!

mt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK seems that the only real fix is one that costs $. I downloaded VueScan from Hamrick Software and it worked... fixed the problem right away. I know this is not a true fix since there is still something wrong between either Adobe or Apple but at least it allows me to scan and save in .tiff and open the files in Photoshop with ease. Here's to hoping Adobe/Apple can fix the issue so we can scan for free since it is obvious that VueScan fixes it just fine (albeit for a price).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to offer a note on the cheap side, my work around has been to open the problem image in paint/preview (depending on OS) and save the image out as a PNG (for the lossless compression). That file opens just fine in photoshop, but it is an extra and annoying step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody seens to have reported it to Adobe unfortunately. Anyway, it might be interesting, and it might be useful, if someone can share one of these TIFF files. (A scan, of anything, that shows OK in preview but has the lines cut off in Photoshop). Interested folk might try it in THEIR Photoshop to see if it affects everyone. Analytical folk might look at the contents of the TIFF to see what is unusual. It cannot be shared in the forum, but someone can post a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone figure out how to report this issue to adobe? Or if someone knows, please do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can submit a bug report here: Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anybody who can share a problem TIFF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot of a problem Tiff that was scanned via Mac OS (El Capitan on iMac 2016, using Epson 16500 scanner). Looks fine in preview. (This forum would not let me upload a tiff!)

Screenshot 2017-03-06 16.29.14.png

Here is a lower res psd file from a different scan of the entire scanner bed (with multiple images) for reference of what was cut off:Screenshot 2017-03-06 16.31.07.png

Because this is for an archive, I'd like my workflow to go

Scan high res TIFF (often multiple images at once since they are small and my scanner bed is 11x14)

-Convert all to jpeg or something web friendly for images (using photoshop script or batch conversion)

-Convert to pdf for some documents Maybe using Acrobat DC

This has to be reliable or else the whole thing could get screwed up with 5 random documents being 2/3 scanned and then the paper original is put away somewhere. Preview gives a false sense of security that everything is fine.

Let me know if there is a different way you want me to share the Tiff that I can do on this forum or outside. This is very troubling.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share the TIFF. We really need the file itself to test with, though it's nice to see what you see. What we need to do is open it in OUR Photoshop to see if it fails for everyone or just some people. You cannot share it in the forum, but you can share it outside and include a link in your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines