2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 2:55 PM by Andrew Yoole

Do I need a discrete GPU to run After Effects?

farazk99441456

I plan to use after effects on my next rig. I’ll be occasionally do simple video editing like fixing shaky videos and creating slideshows. I have read that the most important thing in after effect is CPU and Ram so I’m planning to use the integrated gpu instead of buying a discrete graphic card so I can spend more on cpu and ram. I’m on a budget and here is the parts I came up with:

CPU: i5-6600

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 8GB DDR4 3000 (or 16GB DDR4 2133 ?)

Motherboard: Asus H110M-C

i5-6600 uses the new HD 530 integrated graphic and I hear when it’s used with ddr4 ram it’s a lot more powerful than the previous generations of integrated graphics. So is HD 530 good enough for occasional video editing with after effects or should I get a slower cpu/ram and spend the money on a discrete GPU? Also is it better to get a ram with faster speed or more capacity, like 8GB 3200 or 16GB 2133?

Thank you,

• 1. Re: Do I need a discrete GPU to run After Effects?
          StormyCPb Level 3

I wouldn't encourage someone to invest in an integrated GPU when using something like After Effects, but I could be wrong with your setup. Thing is, as you explore and become more proficient in AE, you'll probably start stumbling into Cinema 4D Lite and Element 3D, how an integrated GPU will handle those things is questionable. You're right however about how important RAM is, AE is pretty dependent on it.

• 2. Re: Do I need a discrete GPU to run After Effects?
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You are correct that general AE use is dependent on the CPU and RAM.  Some previews are accelerated by OpenGL, which most basic GPUs can handle easily anyway.

Things that the GPU are used for are ray-traced rendering (now defunct), 3D applications like Cinema 4D, and some effects. In particular, some third party plugins like Video Copilot's Optical Flares and Element 3D, or Zaxwerks Invigorator, are highly dependent on GPU. 

But your general use of AE will be fine.