5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 12:06 PM by KJerryK

Animate only a mouth?

fredsprinkle

Is there a mouth-only workflow yet? A clean method, without having a whole puppet imported.

• 1. Re: Animate only a mouth?
          KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I've done this in Photoshop by turning off all body layers except the head. Save the psd and Ch then shows only the head and everything works fine.

Haven't tried it in Illustrator, but presume it works the same.

• 2. Re: Animate only a mouth?
            Jim Acquavella Adobe Employee

Yes, that should work.  You don't need layers, like eyes, just keep the basic parent groups that contain the mouth, like Head.  I was able to take one of the existing puppets and delete everything except the main group (+robot), Head, and +Mouth and import it into Ch and have Lip Sync work to replace the mouth shapes.  If you are going to track this inside of AE and don't want it to move in Character Animator, just turn off the camera.  Leaving the mic on will allow you to record audio and interact with the Lip Sync behavior to swap between different mouth shapes.  Good luck!

• 3. Re: Animate only a mouth?
              fredsprinkle Level 1

Yeah this totally works, I was just hoping to keep my sizes real clean, like just have a disembodied mouth that was like 150px x 100px. I tried to build this rig, but had issues positioning the Ai file rig in the Character Animator window.

I can totally just mask the big PNG out, I'm just a bit neurotic about organization sometimes.

• 4. Re: Animate only a mouth?
                Jim Acquavella Adobe Employee

To keep things simple, move the rig in Ai.  We know there are some issues with the transformations applied within Ch at the moment that will be worked out in the future.  Glad this is working for you!

• 5. Re: Animate only a mouth?
                  KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Disembodied mouth.

You mean no head or any other body part? Cool -- I'll have to give that a try.