6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2015 6:55 PM by A.T. Romano

arrange video

stacyp80652555

How can I add, delete, trim, and move video / photos without audio tracks moving?  I have the music set (trimmed and fades set), and now I want to fill in the visual portion.  When I trim videos, or add/delete, the audi tracks get moved.  Thanks

• 1. Re: arrange video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

stacyp

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system?

Assuming Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit for now....

The issue goes to the complexity of the Timeline structure.

In the simple case, as you hold down the Alt key of the computer keyboard, add your file to the existing Timeline content.

There may be times when you need to Group files before adding file to existing Timeline content structure.

We will be watching for your reply with details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: arrange video
            stacyp80652555 Level 1

I am using Premier Elements 10 on a Macbook Pro.

I have tried both "Insert to Timeline" and "Overlay" as methods of getting visual content into the timeline.  The insert method definitely causes the soundtracks to shift.  The Overlay method seems to write over existing visual clips.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 3. Re: arrange video
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As ATR says, you can try holding down certain keys as you add your video. Holding down the Option key or the Cmd key on a Mac as you add clips will disable the auto-rippling so that you can add video without inserting it and breaking the video or audio on other tracks.

• 4. Re: arrange video
                A.T. Romano Level 7

stacyp

Thanks for the reply with additional information about your situation when you add file to an existing Timeline content.

The Alt Windows/ Option Mac technique can avoid disturbances to the existing Timeline content when you add a new file to it. But, the end result is going to depend on the complexity of the Timeline content locations. There may be times when you will need to Group a bunch of files on the existing Timeline to avoid major problem to the bunch if left individually. Sometimes temporarily relocating existing TImeline files may be necessary to make the additions.

Please explore and experiment. If any questions, perhaps post a screenshot of a typical existing Timeline content when you try to add to it.

If necessary, please refer to the following for posting screenshots.

The specified item was not found.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions or to ask for clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...What video card/graphics card does your computer use? NVIDIA GeForce or other?

• 5. Re: arrange video
                  stacyp80652555 Level 1

Thank you so much.  The Option key seems to be working!

Stacy

• 6. Re: arrange video
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Stacy

Great news. Many times the addition of a file to an existing Timeline can be challenging. So, good to learn that the Option key seems to be working. Great job.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

ATR