2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 5:06 AM by adamneer

Manipulting shape layer vertex by selcting specific vertex with marquee

kime5281297

i feel like i must have pressed some kind of short cut key by accident that has changed some edit mode.

im working with shape layers, i have happily manipulated shape layer paths the way i want to previously but today, i cannot.

i want to manipulate some of the vertex, but not all of them and i certainly cannot spend time manipulating the vertex individually. at the moment AE will only let me manipulate them all and goes into free transform mode. i want to select the vertex i want by means of using a marquee and then going into free transform mode. at the moment AE will select the nearest vertex and immediate manipulate them without any marquee selection happening.

im hoping this is a weird glitch that will go away!!! i cannot work like this! i have to deliver some work tomorrow!!!

Cheers!

• 1. Re: Manipulting shape layer vertex by selcting specific vertex with marquee
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What changed on your system? Any new updates on any apps? Any new apps? 

Make sure that you are using the pen tool (g) and the Alt/Option key or the Ctrl/Cmnd to select, convert and move the vertices. If things are broken try rebooting your computer or try trashing your preferences by holding down the Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd key when you open AE. 

• 2. Re: Manipulting shape layer vertex by selcting specific vertex with marquee
            adamneer Level 2

This happens to me every once in a while, generally after long periods of use, when I've been switching between many apps or just spreading RAM thin in general.  Same thing happens to mask path vertexes.  Whenever I notice it happening, I have to save and exit AE, since it's some sort of bug that can't be dealt with until the program restarts.  If the system really needs a fresh start, you'll need to completely restart the computer before the functionality returns to normal, but I'm pretty sure it will usually go away just by closing and reopening AE.