3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 10:13 AM by dsoileau

Is it possible to create a preset subfolder that InDesign will recognize?

dsoileau

I'm needing to introduce hierarchy to the Find/Change Query preset folders because of an extensive number of custom presets.  I have a rather long list of nomenclature-organized presets, to which adding another level of organization would significantly improve their use. Unfortunately InDesign does not recognize the folders I've added to the Find-Change Queries folder (/Users/my-name/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 11.0/en_US/Find-Change Queries).  InDesign only recognizes the folders that are installed with the program, i.e., Glyph, Grep, Object, Text.  And swapping folders isn't practical, though it works.

Does anyone know if it's possible to add hierarchy to the presets?

Hopefully this is not just a feature request.

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: Is it possible to create a preset subfolder that InDesign will recognize?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As far as I can tell it is not, at least not in CS6 (haven't tried newer versions), but it sure would be nice. I've taken to adding prefixes to help find them in a longer list.

File the request at Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 2. Re: Is it possible to create a preset subfolder that InDesign will recognize?
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Scripting panel can be set up as a hierarchy, so you could move your saved searches to scripts and store them in nested folders, which will show that way in the panel.

Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 11.41.08 AM.png

Here is an AppleScript (OSX only) template I use, which is easy to modify. You can run one or multiple searches from a single script, this version runs 4 GREP searches to strip white space.

Edit the my GrepSearch("yourfindgrep", "yourchangegrep") lines as needed. NOTE! that with AppleScript backslashes have to be escaped with an extra backslash so it's "\\t+" and not "\t+"

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

activate

--replaces multiple tabs with single tab

my GrepSearch("\\t+", "\\t")

--removes any white space at the start of a paragraph including multiple returns

my GrepSearch("^\\s*", "")

--replaces multiple spaces with one space

my GrepSearch("\\p{zs}{2,}", "\\s")

--replaces non breaking spaces with spaces

my GrepSearch("~s|~S", "\\s")

end tell

on GrepSearch(f, c)

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

set find grep preferences to nothing

set change grep preferences to nothing

set find what of find grep preferences to f

set change to of change grep preferences to c

change grep

end tell

end GrepSearch

• 3. Re: Is it possible to create a preset subfolder that InDesign will recognize?
              dsoileau Level 1

Thanks, Rob, for the script and the description! I will modify your script to include a group of queries and reply with the results. I believe your script is the best way, for now, to achieve what I'm after.