9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 10:24 PM by MobileDeveloperCK

How can I fix Exported flattened PDF font that is illegible? [iOS]

SBryceW

When I export a flattened PDF to email, the text in the form fields becomes vertically squashed and illegible. Emailing the original works fine. How can I fix this?

It ends up looking like this :

Adobe PDF Bad.PNG

Instead of this:

Adobe PDF Good.PNG

Any ideas? This same document can be used on other iPads without an issue.

Bryce

• 1. Re: How can I fix Exported flattened PDF font that is illegible?
          Anubha Goel Adobe Employee

Hi SBryceW,

Could you please let me know what exact version of OS you are using.

How exactly have you flattened the PDF?

Let me know more on the same so that I could help.

Regards,

Anubha

• 2. Re: How can I fix Exported flattened PDF font that is illegible?
            SBryceW Level 1

Thank you for the response. Another of our users is reporting this happening now as well.

I am pretty sure it is iOS 9.1

I gave the iPad back to the user, so I don't have it available to check right now. It may have been 9.0.2

The PDF with the fields is put into Dropbox. From the Dropbox app it is sent to Adobe Reader via "open in..." From Adobe Reader's edit view, it is shared. Before it goes to the share screen there is a prompt that asks to either share the original, or share a flattened copy. "Flattened Copy" is selected, and then shared via mail.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing Adobe Reader. The issue still happened.

I have a spare iPad that I am trying to set up to recreate the issue here. If I get anywhere with it, I will update my post.

Edit 11/23/2015 3:53 PM EST

I have the problem on a third device in my possession.

iPad Air with iOS 9.1 (13B143)

Adobe Acrobat Version 15.2.1

I have gotten the PDF into Adobe via an email attachment, and dropbox with the same results.

I have shared the file via mail and the messaging app with the same results.

I have created two other versions of the PDF with editable fields. One with Arial as the font and one with Courier as the font. I get the same results in both of those.

The lines that show up in place of the text are selectable as text. That means if I highlight them, and copy then paste into another program, the text is correct.

Also some of the text is somewhat recognizable as text. It looks like it is severely shortened vertically and severely stretched horizontally, but you can kinda tell that it is words even though you can't tell what they say.

Edit 4:03 PM EST

Adding photos to show what I mean. The text in the photos says "Test test edit with adobe"

adobe test.PNG

And here is the same screen shot with the width reduced to 35% and the height increased to 150%

adobe test 35 w 150 h.png

You can almost see that is says "Test test edit with adobe"

Any ideas anyone? Any ideas where else I can go to get help on it?

• 3. Re: How can I fix Exported flattened PDF font that is illegible? [iOS]
              MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi SBryceW,

Thank you for the detailed description of the problem.

I investigated similar flattening issues and discovered a defect in Acrobat Reader for iOS.  I filed a bug report to get the defect fixed in a future release.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Would it be possible for you to select the "Share Original Document" option (instead of the "Share Flattened Copy" option) to avoid the problem for the time being?

• 4. Re: How can I fix Exported flattened PDF font that is illegible? [iOS]
                SBryceW Level 1

Right now, "Share Original Document" is our workaround. The PDF we are using is a field report, and sharing a flattened copy has been a great resource for us. It creates a bit of permanency once the copy is mailed in. This makes negotiating with contractors and foremen a lot easier when providing proof.

Is there an estimated time frame for the fix? or is there a way I can find out which release fixes it without trying it manually each time a new release comes out?

Thank you for the follow up. I am relieved to hear that it isn't something I was doing wrong.

• 5. Re: How can I fix Exported flattened PDF font that is illegible? [iOS]

Hi SBryceW,

We are currently testing the fix for the flattening problem.  If all goes well, we should be able to include the fix in the next release of Acrobat Reader for iOS.  However, I am not able to speculate on the exact date of the next release.

Another workaround: If you have the desktop version of Acrobat Pro (not Reader) on a Windows or Mac computer, you can use it to flatten form fields.

How to flatten PDF form fields using Acrobat X or XI

When the new release of Acrobat Reader for iOS (containing the fix) becomes available in the App Store, I will let you know by replying to this forum thread again.

Thank  you!

• 7. Re: How can I fix Exported flattened PDF font that is illegible? [iOS]
                    ronaldf17210832

Thank you for the workaround, however for our case, it is necessary at legal stand point to send documents as flattened copies.

Any ETA or update on the fix?

• 8. Re: How can I fix Exported flattened PDF font that is illegible? [iOS]

Hi ronaldf17210832,

I am sorry.  I am not able to provide the exact date of the next release.  (It is partially because we do not know how long it would take for Apple to approve the new version of Acrobat Reader during the holiday season. All of iOS apps need to go through "app reviews" by Apple.)

We believe that the flattening problem occurs only with the PDF forms in the Landscape page layout.  The PDF forms in the Portrait page layout will not be affected by the flattening problem.

portrait-landscape.gif

A workaround is to select the "Send Original Document" option to send a PDF form from iPad/iPhone and flatten it on a Windows or Mac desktop computer using the desktop version of Acrobat Pro DC.

How to flatten PDF form fields using Acrobat X or XI

You can use a free trial of Acrobat Pro DC for this.

Download Adobe Acrobat free trial | Acrobat Pro DC

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 9. Re: How can I fix Exported flattened PDF font that is illegible? [iOS]

Hi SBryceW and ronaldf17210832,

We just released Acrobat Reader for iOS version 15.3.0 on January 5, 2016.

This release includes the fix for the particular defect that you have encountered.

Would you please give it a try and let us know if it works for you?

Thank you!