4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 12:21 PM by RoninEdits

Will this cpu be a good choice for editing video and rendering at a decent speed?

donaldm14176447

Hi,

I appreciate any input on the computers listed below. I'm trying to stay within a budget, but also get a cpu that will be useful for years to come as a video editing machine.

CyberpowerPC Desktop Computer Gamer Xtreme 1510LQ Intel Core i7 5820K (3.30 GHz) 16 GB DDR4 2 TB HDD 250 GB SSD Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CyberpowerPC Desktop Computer Gamer Xtreme 1510LQ Intel Core i7 5820K (3.30 GHz) 16 GB DDR4 2 TB HDD 250 GB SSD Windows …

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Supreme Liquid Cool SLC8260T w/ Intel i7-5930K 3.5GHz CPU, 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD, 24X DVD+-RW, Liquid Cool & Win 10 Home 64-Bit - SLC8260T

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9796146&CatId=11 4

Thanks in advance for your help,

Steve

• 1. Re: Will this cpu be a good choice for editing video and rendering at a decent speed?
          cc_merchant Level 4

The i7-5930K is a good CPU. Be aware that a computer is more than just the CPU. The link you gave shows a rather basic system where the quality of several components can not be determined, like PSU, SSD, HDD.

I suggest you start reading Tweakers Page  and following articles there.

• 2. Re: Will this cpu be a good choice for editing video and rendering at a decent speed?
            donaldm14176447 Level 1

I've read over the page and I understand some , but I'm a bit of a layman when it comes to hardware. I just wanted to run one more by you folks.
            B&H Photo Video

• 3. Re: Will this cpu be a good choice for editing video and rendering at a decent speed?
              cc_merchant Level 4

Not worth the money. Overpriced and underperforming CPU and video card.

• 4. Re: Will this cpu be a good choice for editing video and rendering at a decent speed?
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

for the hp workstation from b&h, its workstation grade hardware and its performance would only be considered ok for HD projects. an equal performance desktop grade pc would be 1/3 the price.

if you are going with CyberpowerPC, you may want to order directly from their website, so you can choose your components and pick quality parts. both of the one's you list also seem to have a 120mm liquid cooler, which cannot properly overclock. below are some parts from their website...

i7-5820k is best bang for the buck. the i7-5930k only adds more pcie lanes (to 40). you will want to overclock cpu too.

asus or gigabyte mbd for quality

if you plan on running multiple apps and/or after effects, 32gb of memory will work much better. (just don't get 16gb as 8x4gb)

big air coolers are usually similar in performance to 240mm liquid, and don't leak. the V3 Voltair or CM V8 are decent, unfortunately they do not offer better air options.

if going liquid cooler, get case that holds 280 or larger liquid cooler, and also get a 280 or larger liquid cooler.

850w psu or better, evga supernova GS (not g1) or corsair RMi are decent.

gtx 970. the amd cards aren't recommended until adobe fixes performance with openCL.

ssd's go with samsung 850 pro's, or evo's starting with the 500gb evo. one 256gb pro or 500gb evo for os/apps drive.

if ssd(s) for media drive is out of budget, there is an option for 1tb or 2tb hdd x2 or x4, in raid-0.

might have to buy an external hdd for backups separate from newegg etc, one large enough to backup the raid or several projects, and a clone of os/apps drive.

also, going with x99 platform should allow for a cpu upgrade later, with the 10 or 8 core broadwell-e when released.