8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 3:18 PM by m_vargas

Flash Player v19 fails ActiveX installation on IE v11 (Win7 Ultimate)

eeeehaw

I have been able to successfully play videos presumably requiring Flash Player (eg, Facebook) in my Internet Explorer 11 browser for quite awhile now.  A few weeks ago they stopped playing, and IE displays the error message that Flash Player is required for such videos.  I attempted download and installation of Flash Player from adobe.com several times, each time the installer launches, downloads to 100%, and proceeds to install but always fails with error "ActiveX Control could not be registered".

I have tried the following install scenarios:

(1) downloading & running the independent activex control install package from adobe

(2) turning off my Symantec/Norton anti-virus during download & install

(3) opening Task Manager and ending the iexplorer.exe processes still showing after closing IE

(4) not opening Task Manager, allowing iexplorer.exe processes (2 of them) to continue running after closing the IE app.

(5) made sure that IE "ActiveX Filtering" is turned OFF (ie, Unchecked)

Other info:

- running IE version 11.0.9699.18097, with Update Version 11.0.25 (KB3100773)

- running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit w/latest updates

- running Symantec Norton Security Suite version 22.5.4.24 with current live updates

- Adobe Flash Player does NOT show up in the IE Manage Add-ons list of extensions; Shockwave player does show but is disabled and cannot be enabled, also pdf Reader shows and works/enabled

- MICROSOFT IE SECURITY UPDATE on 10 Nov 2015: KB310073, a security update that restricts Jscript & VBscript use, prompted by malicious remote control websites; see the following: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3100773 and pay attention there to the link to a Microsoft Security bulletin with info on restricting Jscript & VBscript use.

Does Flash Player installer use Jscript of VBscript? Or is it affected in any other way by the recent Microsoft Windows KB3100773 security update?  Or by some other recent Microsoft Windows update?  What should I try next?