6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 3:49 AM by Peter Spier

Document Size Library On New?

rickg76305781

Is it possible to create a  document size library that could be acessed on file>new>document?? or does it only allow for individual saved sizes??

My group deals with multiple publications with varying column widths. Our current design software allows the user to save multiple sizes in "sets" for a given publication.

(see below) the user selects set and then col. size and (in this example) enter a custom depth.

i understand that i could create a  1 col. document, 2 col. doc, 3 col. doc, etc etc etc ...saving them as template documents for specific pub...but IMO that isn't practical (too may pubs, too many sizes)

it would be nice if there a way to create sets indesign and call them out on new without have to access a live template doc....

does this all ready exist?? can it be scripted?? is there a process that works?? i am very very new to Indesign so any help would be appreciated

thank you R

Untitled.jpg

• 1. Re: Document Size Library On New?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There is no concept of sets like this in the document presets, but you might get what you are after by using Templates (.indt files) instead.  You could set up folders with multiple versions for each size, or a single file with different master pages for each configuration.

A side benefit of templates is that in addition to the page size, margin and columns info stored in the preset you can include multiple master pages, all of the predefined styles and swatches for your typical use of that template, and static information that should always be included in documents made from that template. Templates are a lot more powerful than just a document size preset.

• 2. Re: Document Size Library On New?
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Create a new document and choose custom as the document size. Fill in the size requirements, give it a name and choose add,

• 3. Re: Document Size Library On New?
              rickg76305781 Level 1

bob: if i created a series of custom sizes..indesign would just list them in a series..correct?? there is no way to organize them?? if there is no way to organize them into specific publications....the result would be list of approx 300 different column sizes to scroll through. (again i don't know how InDesign works other than tinkering)

peter: "single file with different master pages for each configuration". i watched a video on creating templates etc. InDesign..while versatile..doesnt make thing easy lol. Not trying to publish book..just create simple advertising docs on the fly. I guess its a learning curve?? Not familiar with creating documents in this manner.

it would be file new then apply templates from the pages menu??

I would think multiple size selection is something that could be scripted into InDesign?? no clue

• 4. Re: Document Size Library On New?

To use templates it's File > Open... then navigate to where the template file is stored, which can be anywhere, so you can create a master template folder, then subfolders for clients or types of ads or whatever.

Templates have a .indt file extension which triggers ID to open an Untitled copy by default so you don't accidentally overwrite them with an actual document, but essentially you can just change the extension on any .indd file to .indt and it becomes a template, and vice versa.

• 5. Re: Document Size Library On New?
                  jochens5907408 Level 1

Dear Peter,

I want to set the size of a document, to be created by my Plug-In eighter before creation ore diectly after document creation.

May you give me a hint, how to solve that problem?

Kind regards

Jochen Seliger

• 6. Re: Document Size Library On New?

Like most users on this forum, I'm a designer, not a developer, and I know nothing about creating plugins. Apparently Adobe has decided to kill the forum dedicated to the SDK.