7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 10:12 PM by Keith_Reeder

New External Hard Drive

Lewis0580

I was using an external hard drive to store all my photos.  Unfortunately, I dropped that drive and it was broken.  What can I do to recover the photos that were previously uploaded (I can still see them in lightroom)?  I would like to put them onto a new hard drive and point all future uploads to this new hard drive.

Thanks

• 1. Re: New External Hard Drive
          Keith_Reeder Level 4

You can't see the photos in Lightroom - they were never in Lightroom.

What you can see are the jpeg previews that Lr generated on import: if you can't get the originals off the bounced HDD, they're gone, I'm afraid.

There was a plugin around that allowed previews to be recovered - so at least you'd have something - but the author, Rob Cole, hasn't been around on here for a long time, so I don't know if it's still available.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New External Hard Drive
            JoeKostoss Level 4

You do have a 2nd HD or a cloud service with all your photos backed up, Right?

• 3. Re: New External Hard Drive
              Lewis0580 Level 1

What I do have is all the photos on flickr, if I pull all of those onto a new HD, what would the process be to clear all the JPEG previews from LR and "start over".

• 4. Re: New External Hard Drive
                JoeKostoss Level 4

Assuming for the moment that the flickr images are copies of the original images on your HD, to "start over" all that you need to do is open LR with a new catalog and re-import.

However, if the flickr images are actually jpeg exports with the LR edits built in, there is no way to "Start Over"; you can import these in a new catalog "as edited & as exported"  and start anew from there.

• 5. Re: New External Hard Drive
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Lewis0580 wrote:

What I do have is all the photos on flickr, if I pull all of those onto a new HD, what would the process be to clear all the JPEG previews from LR and "start over".

Your LR catalog contains references to the "original image" files, raw or JPG, and to the edit commands used to change those originals.

Associated with the catalog are JPG preview files created from the original files.

On Flickr, you have the exported files, presumably JPG format, that contain your edits to the original files.

If you have a backup of the original files, you can copy them to your new hard drive and point the catalog to their new location and you are done.

If you don't have any photo backups, the best you can hope for is to import your Flickr exports into the catalog with no edit histories. You might be able to "stack" your Flickr files with the originals, but without the original files you will only be able to reference their edit histories as read-only documentation.

• 6. Re: New External Hard Drive
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Keith_Reeder wrote:

What you can see are the jpeg previews that Lr generated on import: if you can't get the originals off the bounced HDD, they're gone, I'm afraid.

There was a plugin around that allowed previews to be recovered - so at least you'd have something - but the author, Rob Cole, hasn't been around on here for a long time, so I don't know if it's still available.

This one works with LR 2, 4, 5, 6, and CC, but not LR 3:

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Extract Cached Image Previews” Lightroom Plugin

• 7. Re: New External Hard Drive
                      Keith_Reeder Level 4

Ah, didn't know Jeffrey had one, Todd - thanks.