4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2015 8:23 PM by ebonee94

Best Way To Split Up Video Files Adobe Premiere Elements 14?

ebonee94

Ok I make LP's and the footage is usually pretty long even after being edited. How can I split the video up in program and export parts of it? Like if I get an hour's worth of footage and I want to divide it into 3 videos. So far I've just been clipping out the part I don't need yet then exporting and undoing what I did. There's gotta be a more efficient way than that though right?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Best Way To Split Up Video Files Adobe Premiere Elements 14?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ebonee94

What computer operating system is involved with your Premiere Elements 14?

I will describe selective export from the Timeline. Then you can decide if that is the type of workflow that you seek.

Expert workspace

Must do both of the following...

At the Timeline level, set the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar to span just the segment that you want to export.

In Export & Share, your export choice must have an option for Share Work Area Bar Only. That needs to have a check mark next to it.

More details with screenshots if necessary.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Best Way To Split Up Video Files Adobe Premiere Elements 14?
            ebonee94 Level 1

I'm using a Macbook Pro Retina. OS X El Capitan.

Thanks so much I would appreciate the screenshots, they always make learning in these programs easier for me.

• 3. Re: Best Way To Split Up Video Files Adobe Premiere Elements 14?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ebonee94

Thanks for the reply.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but let us see if we can find some common ground Windows Mac information. The following should apply to Premiere Elements Windows and Mac. My screenshots were done with Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

The goal is going to be to transfer selectively a portion of your Premiere Elements 14 Expert workspace Timeline content to a file saved to your computer hard drive. There are 2 requirements to get this done.

1. At the Timeline level...with the whole video on the Timeline Video Track 1 and the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar spanning the whole duration of the Timeline content.

friday1.JPG

. But you only want to export a segment of that Timeline content, so you move the gray tabs so that they span just the portion of the Timeline content that you want to export.

friday2.JPG

You can position that gray tabs two ways

a. move them into place with the mouse cursor

or

b. use shortcuts....for me on Windows...move the Timeline Indicator to the start of the segment to be exported, then hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard and hit the left bracket key [    now move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the segment to be exported, then hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard and hit the right bracket key ]

2. But, "1" alone is not going to get the job done. You need that check mark next to "Share Work Area Bar Only" option in the export settings for your export choice. In this example, I selected Expert & Share/Computer/HD1080 1920 x 1080.just to point out where the "Share Work Area Bar Only" option is typically found in the export settings. You may need a different export setting, maybe in Expert & Share/Custom. Whatever your choice of export, it should include in its settings "Share Work Area Bar Only" which you have enabled with a check mark.

friday3.JPG

Please consider. And, if you use the shortcut for setting the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar, please let me know if Option worked for you instead of Alt on Mac?

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Best Way To Split Up Video Files Adobe Premiere Elements 14?
                ebonee94 Level 1

Thanks so much that's exactly what I wanted and yes the shortcuts did work for me. Again thanks you've been a huge help.