6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 10:18 PM by MobileDeveloperCK

Can't save fillable PDFs using Acrobat Reader for iOS

I have created various fillable forms using acrobat 11 for windows. I have them sent  those fillable forms to my iPhone 6.

On my iPhone 6, I have downloaded acrobat reader  for iOS. I used it  to fill in the forms, but I can't seem to save them.  The help guide with acrobat reader says I should be able to save those filled  forms in a "flattened" version that cannot be altered.  There does not seem to be a way to save them as a new file name. Or importantly, when they are saved to the document cloud, they are not flattened. What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm in a rush on this. Jerry

• 1. Re: Can't save fillable PDFs using Acrobat Reader for iOS
          MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi Jerry,

Acrobat Reader for iOS does not have Save or Save As menu items or buttons.  Acrobat Reader for iOS saves changes automatically.  For example, when you fill out a PDF form and close it (by going back to My Documents), Acrobat Reader saves changes to the PDF form.

To flatten a PDF form (to prevent from further changes)

1. Open a PDF form.
          2. Fill out the PDF form.
          3. Tap the Share icon in the bottom bar.
            Share_Acrobat.png
          4. Select "Share File" from the menu.
          5. Tap "Share Flattened Copy".
            ShareFile.png
          6. Tap Mail.
          7. Specify email recipient(s).
          8. Tap Send.

Once a PDF document is flattened, form fields and annotations (Sticky Notes, Highlight, Text, Freehand Drawing, etc.) will no longer be interactive.  (That's why flattening is not the default Save option.)

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

• 2. Re: Can't save fillable PDFs using Acrobat Reader for iOS
            52641 Level 1

Thanks so much for your reply to my inquiry about acrobat reader for iOS. I under stand now how to save a flatted copy and e-mail it back to office from iphone, but I am still having problems printing when I receive the field in form on my desktop. Once saved, I tried to print the filled-in form. The lettering in the fillable cells is squished. It is unreadable.

Jerry

[personal information removed by moderator]

• 3. Re: Can't save fillable PDFs using Acrobat Reader for iOS

Hi Jerry,

Would you please share your PDF form with us (Adobe) so that we can investigate the cause of the problem with a printed PDF form?

I've sent you a separate forum message with the steps to share a file.

Would you also try different PDF forms to see if the problem occurs with the particular PDF form or any PDF forms?

Thank you!

P.S. When you reply to this forum message, I'd recommend (a) temporarily turning off your email signature to protect your personal information (e.g. address, phone numbers) or (b) opening this forum page (https://forums.adobe.com/message/8201640) in a web browser and sign in to post a reply.

• 4. Re: Can't save fillable PDFs using Acrobat Reader for iOS

Hi Jerry,

We received two PDF documents (the original and flattened versions) via email.  Thank you!

I investigated the flattening issue using your PDF documents and discovered a defect in Acrobat Reader for iOS.  I will file a bug report to get the defect fixed in a future release.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

In the meantime, would you please try the following steps to work around the problem?

1. Once you fill out a PDF form and send it from Acrobat Reader for iOS on your iPhone/iPad, please select "Share Original Document" (instead of "Share Flattened Copy") to avoid the defect in Acrobat Reader for iOS.  You will received the original (non-flattened) PDF form on a desktop computer and should be able to print it from the desktop version of Acrobat/Reader.

2. If you would still like to flatten the PDF form (for archive purposes), you can use the PDF Optimizer flattening feature in Acrobat Pro XI (11) that you already have on a desktop computer.

How to flatten PDF form fields using Acrobat X or XI

Is it a feasible workaround for you?  Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: Can't save fillable PDFs using Acrobat Reader for iOS
                  52641 Level 1

Once again, thank you for your help. I look forward to the bug fix.  How long might it be before the bug fix is published in a new version of Acrobat reader for iOS? I realize it's a tough question but does it take months or just weeks? Again, thanks. I will try your work around and see how that works for me.

Jerry

• 6. Re: Can't save fillable PDFs using Acrobat Reader for iOS

Hi Jerry,

We just released Acrobat Reader for iOS version 15.3.0 on January 5, 2016.

This release includes the fix for the particular defect that you have encountered.

Would you please give it a try and let us know if it works for you?

Thank you!