9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 3:24 PM by RoninEdits

Best set-up for Adobe Premiere Pro using external drive and laptop

brightfilms

I am going to admit I am not a particularly technical person. But I'm learning!

So I want to ask a simple question and hopefully get some good advice.

I am editing a feature documentary film on Adobe Premiere Pro. I have a lot of HD Footage, and I want to optimize my drives for the best performance. To that end, I recently bought a Glyph StudioRAID 4TB.

I am currently working from a Mac Book Pro. I am using Mac OS 10.9.5.

Processor: 2.66 Ghz Interl Core i7

Memory: 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 (2 2 GB Banks)

I researched a bit about how to best set up my disks, getting some useful infor from here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972 and here: https://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/optimizing-hard-disks

But there's a little too much information - and I'm getting lost. Do I use the advice for a 2 Disk Set-up? Or do I partition my new Glyph drive and use the 3 disk set-up configuration.

I would certainly appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Rebecca

• 1. Re: Best set-up for Adobe Premiere Pro using external drive and laptop
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

partitioning the drives wont help, and wont change # of drives per that chart. best performance would be using raid-0 on the Glyph StudioRaid and the 2 disk setup in the chart. just make sure there is a backup of the raid, in case something happens.

also 4gb of ram is dangerously low, you might want to upgrade to 16gb.

• 2. Re: Best set-up for Adobe Premiere Pro using external drive and laptop
            brightfilms Level 1

Thank you! Good to know.

I will definitely add more RAM. The problem is I'm working off a Mac Book Pro from 2010 and I think I have a max of 8GB of RAM. Oy.

Do you think that would work?

• 3. Re: Best set-up for Adobe Premiere Pro using external drive and laptop

the bigger the project, the more memory premiere will use to keep the project loaded in memory. premiere also uses memory for preview playback. 8gb might still work, but when premiere wants more than that, it will hurt performance. alot of "max memory" specs for computers are based of the largest stick of memory available at that time. so back in 2010 maybe 4gb sticks were largest, im not sure, but today larger sticks are available.

according to youtube 16gb is possible. upgrade memory 16gb MacBook Pro 2010 - YouTube

there are several "memory finder" websites to help find compatible memory for specific machines. corsair, crucial, kingston, etc

if you have a slow 5400rpm hdd in the laptop, upgrading to a new samsung ssd is another good upgrade. they show that on youtube video's too.

• 4. Re: Best set-up for Adobe Premiere Pro using external drive and laptop
                brightfilms Level 1

Thanks for sharing that link.

I've poked around now and it seems that I still can't get away with 16 GB because I have the MacBookPro6,2 (not the 7.1). So I don't think I can get more than 8 GB after all.

Do you think that's still too low to edit on this laptop?

• 5. Re: Best set-up for Adobe Premiere Pro using external drive and laptop
                  Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

brightfilms wrote:

Do you think that's still too low to edit on this laptop?

For HD, yes.

• 6. Re: Best set-up for Adobe Premiere Pro using external drive and laptop

you might really want to think about using another computer. besides the 8gb limitation, the cpu is probably very slow too. if you have to use this computer, upgrade to 8gb, and while editing do not apply any effects, or stabilization. once the edit is mostly done and gone thru revisions etc, then make a copy of the project and add in any effects and stabilizing. if you are turning the project over to someone else to finalize, say like after color correction, you might consider having them do the effects and stabilizing etc. warp stabilizer is known to bloat the project file, and cripple long format projects.

• 7. Re: Best set-up for Adobe Premiere Pro using external drive and laptop
                      brightfilms Level 1

Thanks so much.

I need to think seriously about getting a new computer. But I am going to try working on 8 GB first and following your advice about no effects etc.

In the meantime, I wondered if you had any specific suggestions about which RAM to buy? I was told by Apple that I should get:

DDR3 Memory

PC3

8500 speed

Does that sound right?

Thank you again,

Rebecca

• 8. Re: Best set-up for Adobe Premiere Pro using external drive and laptop
                        JFPhoton Level 3

the following link is  web page which gives the technical details for your exact model mac book pro :  http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.66-aluminum- 15-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

Though a Windows user my self, successfully running Adobe PPro on an Asus gaming laptop, I can see that your hardware is woefully inadequate....almost on EVERY level.... and I would advise NOT spending ANY more money on trying to improve it.

For comparison, my almost 2 year old Asus laptop has : 24 GB system memory,  and a REAL i7 CPU, ( the 4700 HQ ), which has FOUR cores and EIGHT threads....yours has TWO cores and only four virtual threads !!  The GPU arrangement in your machine is way under spec an CANNOT use the "Mercury Playback" acceleration provided by PPro, ( when you have an NVidia GPU of 1GB of video memory,or more ).

Your hard drive is an antiquated and useless, ( for video editing), 5400RPM spinning mechanical hard drive......PPro requires a minimum TWO storage drives for smooth operation, ( unless you have a new PCI SSD drive), and you only have ONE...( not counting the external 4 TB drive you just bought. )....SSDs are now the norm for internal hard drives.

Here is another link which shows the test results of you CPU compared to others, including the 4700HQ which is in my laptop. You will see yours is 3 times slower !!  I feel bad, because so many purchasers of Apple products have been so severely RIPPED OFF in the quality they have provided to customers who have paid top dollar !!

PassMark - Intel Core i7 M 620 @ 2.67GHz - Price performance comparison

Intel says the max system memory for your CPU is 8 GB. This fact by ITSELF condemns your machine, as even with just plain old 1080p compressed video, 8 GB is just to little. PPro has been improved to use more memory.....on some 1080p timelines I have seen PPro use up to 20 GB of memory, depending on what I was doing ! 16 might be OK, but, 8 is a bottleneck.

I suppose you could TRY :

1. Maxing out the memory to 8 GB

2. Replace your 5400 rpm hard drive with a great performing and cheap SSD, like a Crucial MX 200 series SSD. Clone your existing drive image onto it using a cheap USB external dock, ( $25 to$30 ), and free cloning software. This step ALONE will GREATLY improve the speed of your Macbook.

3. Return,or, sell your 4 TB external Glyph drive.  Reason : your laptop has NO high speed external interface EXCEPT the "minidisplayport". The Glyph does NOT have the proper "Thunderbolt" " interface " to allow a higher speed connection to your machine's " minidisplayport" which DOES offer a high speed connection to an external drive.

That port is probably what is called " Thunderbolt version 1 ", which is what I have on my laptop,too. It can be used to connect high resolution external monitors, ( like I am doing), OR, it allows the connection of a "Thunderbolt" storage device which will operate up to 1.1GB per second, ( in BOTH directions simultaneously.....read AND write ).

Using your USB 2.0 ports.or, the "Fire Wire 800" ports for HD video is just too damn slow !! When editing ,it is CRITICAL that the speed of the drive which contains your media and project files be as fast as possible......at LEAST that of a SATA III SSD.

So, assuming you replace your internal hard drive with an SSD, make sure only Operating system and program files are on it. Then , all video files, project files, previews, cache files, media cache files go on the FAST external drive.....the fastest you can find for your "minidisplayport" connection with the adequate capacity.....

However, buying the right, beefy current gaming laptop might be the best thing to do.....along with considering a Windows machine this time.

• 9. Re: Best set-up for Adobe Premiere Pro using external drive and laptop

you should be able to see whats in there now, to match it, from the mac "about this mac" menu option. it might say something like 1066 or 1067 mhz DDR3. ddr3 1066 mhz is PC3-8500. the 8500 is listed in the website for your mac model that JFPhoton links too. you can also use multiple memory finder websites to confirm and/or pick compatible memory to purchase. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=memory+finder

JFPhoton makes some very good points, and i was not aware of the full specs of your machine. depending on the footage bitrate, the storage over usb2 and firewire may be painfully slow. a new machine could use usb 3 from the Glyph StudioRAID 4TB. if you get a new or used mac, look for something around or above 12k score on this chart Mac Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser. (click on the "64-bit multi-core" tab). a brand new mac around this performance level will be about $2k, while a windows pc may be around $1k.