15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2015 1:04 PM by Jao vdL

Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg

daryls20866442

I have recently switched from Aperture to Lightroom and am generally impressed.  However, I have noticed some issues in exporting images to JPG especially noticeable when dealing with portraits against a dark grey backdrop.  You can see some significant and noticeable "scaling" in the backdrop.  I am working on a MacBook Pro.  I know this is a function of the algorithms Lightroom is using to compress the image and generate the JPG.

I have played around with file setting quality and image sizing in the export module and can reduce the effect, but it is still present.  I tried working with the same image on my mom's PC using her Lightroom 5 and can not achieve the same effect.  The image attached was not resized, but the quality is reduced to 50.  If I bump the quality to 100 the effect is reduced but still present.

In conclusion, on export I get a crisp JPG image in Aperture and Lightroom 5 on a PC but get serious distortion when exporting to JPG in Lightroom CC on my Mac

Has anyone else run into this issue and / or know how to fix this?

DSC_7824 copy.jpg

• 1. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi daryls,

Please check File Settings option and Image Sizing option in the Export Dialog box.

You may also post a screenshot to check.

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

daryls20866442 wrote:

I have played around with file setting quality and image sizing in the export module and can reduce the effect, but it is still present.  I tried working with the same image on my mom's PC using her Lightroom 5 and can not achieve the same effect.  The image attached was not resized, but the quality is reduced to 50.  If I bump the quality to 100 the effect is reduced but still present.

In conclusion, on export I get a crisp JPG image in Aperture and Lightroom 5 on a PC but get serious distortion when exporting to JPG in Lightroom CC on my Mac

I see slight gradient banding in the gray background, which is probably due to using 50 Quality setting in the Export module. The reason you are still seeing the banding with 100 Quality may be due to the Mac monitor, which is different from the one used on the PC. Look at the below test gradient on both systems and see if there is visible banding:

Gradient (banding) - Lagom LCD test

If you see the same banding on the Mac then it may be an issue with your monitor or monitor calibration. If you can upload a file to Dropbox we can check for banding. Export the original file in DNG file format for the upload file, which will have your Develop settings. That way we can see exactly what it looks like with your LR settings and provide other suggestions.

• 3. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg
              daryls20866442 Level 1

Thank you.

This first image is exported using Lightroom 5 on a PC.  Export setting quality at 50, no resizing.

DSC_7824.jpg

This second image was using Lightroom cc on my mac. Export setting quality at 50, no resizing.

DSC_7824 copy.jpg

All other setting the same. 

• 4. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

They're clearly not the same, Daryl - there's much more noise in the PC conversion (which is "dithering" - and hiding - the banding), and the white balance is different.

• 5. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg

The Mac image has been heavily edited with different white balance, lower sharpening, higher noise reduction, lower saturation, Spot Removal tool, and probably other settings. The PC image looks like it has the "default Develop settings applied, which are quite different than the Mac processed image. Since the unedited PC image has no banding the Develop settings you used on the Mac image are causing the issue. That is why I suggested posting the original Mac edited image as a DNG export file to Dropbox, which will allow us to see the image with your LR settings.

• 6. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg
                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

Yeah, thanks Todd - I guess you meant that post for Daryl, not me!

On top of this, the Win file is 2.99mb in size, the Mac version is only 447kb - that's a big difference, one which might well cause compression artefacts.

As an aside: Daryl, this image is only 400 ISO: there should be much less noise from a D7100 at 400 ISO than the Win conversion shows. Get the Detail slider in the sharpening panel dialled right down.

• 7. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg
                      Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Get the Detail slider in the sharpening panel dialled right down.

The image is obviously oversharpened.

It would also help a great deal to set masking to around 80 to prevent sharpening of flat areas.

• 8. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg
                        Keith_Reeder Level 4

Yep, that too, Per - but the "crunchiness" in the file (viewed at 100% - click on the crop below) is absolutely typical of the Detail slider being cranked way over to the right.

DSC_7824_crop.jpg

• 9. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg
                          daryls20866442 Level 1

Thank you everyone for your time and input.

Based on everyone's feedback, I have tried reducing the sharpening and noise reduction.  It seems I was pushing these setting to the limits and causing the gradient banding.  Now when I export the image (no matter the quality or sizing settings) I no longer see the gradient banding at all.Q100 +IR2500 +with Edits +WM Original-7824-3.jpg

I was pulling my hair out for over a week trying to solve the mystery.  Thank you all for your your time.

• 10. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg
                            daryls20866442 Level 1

The image I just uploaded is showing the gradient banding, but it did not show any on my mac...  This must be a function of further compressing the file when uploading to adobe.

• 11. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg
                              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

If you're going to compare the Mac and PC renditions, you need to use the exact same develop settings - which it seems that you did not to - and compare them at 1:1 which is the only magnification where you can reliably judge image quality.

But as trshaner is pointing out, the banding is probably due to the monitor being used.

• 12. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg

daryls20866442 wrote:

The image I just uploaded is showing the gradient banding, but it did not show any on my mac...  This must be a function of further compressing the file when uploading to adobe.

The uploaded file is resized by the Adobe site when viewed in a post so that 2nd interpolation may be causing the banding. To see the image full-size mouse click on it, which I see no banding.

The image has a very low Whites level.

The catch light in the eyes should be just at the threshold of clipping. The settings required for the original file will be different than below, but you want to increase the Whites slider and use -Highlights and + Shadows to maintain detail in those areas. By increasing the contrast range with the Whites slider you will also reduce banding.

DSC_7824_With Adjustments.jpg

• 13. Re: Poor image quality exporting from raw to jpg
                                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Next to controlling the detail slider a bit you also need to look into the mask slider In detail. The noise in the open areas is a typical sign of not using that slider. It allows you to only sharpen in the areas that need it and not in the areas that have no detail to start with. Hold the option key while dragging that slider And make sure the background becomes black and the face shows white in the areas to be sharpened (eyes, lips, and such and In between in the skin). This is really essential for portraits to get right and really allows you to push the sharpening of the details that matter and not the noise in the background. Also many people that end up over sharpening do so because they don't follow rule no1 of sharpening in Lightroom which is to NEVER touch the sliders in detail if you are not zoomed 1:1 or higher. if you are zoomed out, you can't judge the actual sharpening that is happening.