21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2015 9:02 PM by SteveH59

Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

I have a number of 1290 x 1080 still images on my Timeline and will add more. Once the slideshow has finished running, it will be followed by a 1290 x 1080 PAL movie clip.

I am trying to have each still image in the slideshow, which all have a fade in and fade out, to last for 5 seconds each. Is there a way of selecting all of the still images and setting their equal 5 second duration?

I can see this under Preferences:

Preferences.jpg

If I highlight each still image on the Timeline by holding down the Shift key, would I select 'Still Image Default Duration' in Preferences? If so, I am not sure what 150 frames equates to in the above screenshot. As I say, I am looking for a 5 second duration equivalent.

Thank you.

Steve

• 1. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

You can set Still Image Default Duration in Edit Menu/Preferences/General as per the screenshot that you show. That setting will apply only to that files imported after the setting has been made there. If you are running a 25 frames per second project, that 150 frames would give you a 6 seconds duration for your Timeline still as you import them. If you wanted a 5 seconds duration for them, then you would need to set the preference for 125 frames and then import your stills.

Now if your photos are already of the Timeline (all with the same 6 seconds duration), then you can select all at one time, click anywhere in the selection, select Time Stretch, and set the Time Stretch dialog duration to 00;00;05;00 (5 seconds). This does not work if you have a mix of duration in the stills whose duration you want to change to 5 seconds all at one time.

To select all at one time

a. Hold down the Shift key and click on each of the stills that you want in the selection

or

b. With the mouse cursor, drag a rectangle around the stills to select them (assuming that their locations in the project allows you to get at them).

Please consider. Any questions, please let us know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
            SteveH59 Level 1

Now if your photos are already of the Timeline (all with the same 6 seconds duration), then you can select all at one time, click anywhere in the selection, select Time Stretch, and set the Time Stretch dialog duration to 00;00;05;00 (5 seconds). This does not work if you have a mix of duration in the stills whose duration you want to change to 5 seconds all at one time.

Hello ATR

I tried your above suggestion but it didn't work (Time Stretch is greyed out), so I suppose some of the still photos vary in their exact duration.

I suppose it would be easier to begin the project again, select the New Project settings at AVCHD 50fps 1920x1080 for the video which will appear on the same Timeline after the Slideshow (and then 'force those settings'), and then set the Image Default Duration of 125 frames as you have pointed out and then import my still images to the Timeline?

• 3. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
              SteveH59 Level 1

I can access Time Stretch if I click on each still image individually. The end result would be the same wouldn't it - all still images displaying for 5 secs. That may be better than beginning a new project.

• 4. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the replies.

Please do a visual inspection of the Timeline content and see if you can spot any stills that look longer or shorter than the others. It could be one file that is messing up the all at one time way still duration change with Time Stretch. Could you have included a video clip with the stills you working on to change their duration to 5 seconds.

Do not start a new project just yet.

ATR

Add On....look at the thumbnails of the stills in Project Assets...the duration of each should be shown at the bottom of thumbnails...determine if all the stills show the same duration there.

• 5. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                  SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have set the duration for each clip at 5 secs and they all seem equal now.

I wonder, however, if it would be less time consuming to create the slideshow in Elements Organiser? If I did so, would I then be able to somehow import the completed slideshow file into the Premiere Elements 11 Timeline to sit prior to my completed MP4 movie, so that the viewer - playing the finished project burnt onto a standard DVD - would first see the Elements Organiser created slideshow and then the MP4 movie proper?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

I do not know if less time consuming, but you can give it a try, using the Output option of Edit with Premiere Elements. That will put your Elements Organizer slideshow on the Premiere Elements Editor Timeline in a non wmv movie format (believe it has a psess file extension).. Once that slideshow gets into Premiere Elements Editor Timeline, the perk is that you can right click that Timeline movie psess slideshow and select Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow so that you can make significant edit in it (if you want to).

You can use the Elements Organizer slideshow as well as other video files as source media. Just make project settings consistent.

There are certain Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor builds that may not transfer well for certain features - watch out for pan & zoom.

You do get an Elements Organizer opportunity for Fit Slides to Audio button that you do not get in Premiere Elements Editor. Pros and cons.

If you have your momentum established for this project, I would probably go all Premiere Elements Editor.

ATR

• 7. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                      SteveH59 Level 1

I have just continued as normal - the stills and movie on the same Timeline.

Do I just save it all as an MP4?

Thank you.

Steve

• 8. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

If you have been saving to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25, that should be fine.

Are you going to take this Timeline to disc also?

ATR

• 9. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                          SteveH59 Level 1

Yes, thanks.

Just to a standard DVD

Cheers

• 10. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                            SteveH59 Level 1

How do I get my DVD to play on my parents's DVD.

Quality is good on my PC, but they are  so disappointed.

Steve

• 11. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Just in case question....are they viewing the same PAL DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD disc that you are using?

What type of player do they have and what is the size of the TV screen? Have all the TV and player settings been explored?

Did they give you the key details of their disappointment - jumpy video and/or sound, poor clarity, etc.

If they have a Blu-ray player that plays AVCHD on DVD disc, you could consider taking your Timeline to Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD. Then you will be giving them 1920 x 1080 instead of the 720 x 576.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                                SteveH59 Level 1

They can't view it on the TV

It was a bit of a let down.  - my mistake.

Not sure how to correct it.

Steve

• 13. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Why can't they view on TV...they do not have a player for the TV?

Do they have a computer?

Do they have a neighbor who has the entertainment equipment for the playback of your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

ATR

• 14. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                                    SteveH59 Level 1

It shows on the PC, but not on the TV.

Yes, it's a good Samsung player.

I must have saved it in the wrong way..

• 15. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Is the Samsung player attached to the TV? If so, does the player support DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc. If it does and it is not accepting your Premiere Elements DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc, we have at least one thing to try to make it support your disc. The solution would involve burning your Timeline to Folder in Premiere Elements, and then creating the DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc, using

a. The VIDEO_TS Folder from Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Disc/DVD Folder (4.7 GB) 

b. An empty AUDIO_TS Folder that we will create on the computer desktop

c. ImgBurn program

Please supply more information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 16. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                                        SteveH59 Level 1

It 's a 720 x 576 25 fps movie clip

• 17. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                                          SteveH59 Level 1

Yes, the player is connected

• 18. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Can you find the TV's Samsung player specifications online to determine if it includes PAL DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD disc. If it does, then we should try the Premiere Elements burn to Folder (4.7 GB), create the empty AUDIO_TS Folder, and put them together in ImgBurn to get the PAL DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc. Do you want to give that a try?

ATR

• 19. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                                              SteveH59 Level 1

Do you think the problem is with the player?

The video looks great on my PC

• 20. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

I think that we need to look into the player specifications.

But, as I mentioned, there are cases, where for compatibility reasons, the disc needs an Audio_TS Folder along with the VIDEO_TS Folder, and Premiere Elements only offers the VIDEO_TS Folder.

But, let see if the player specifications will help to define the playback problem.

ATR

• 21. Re: Still image duration in Prem Elements 11 (Win 10)
                                                  SteveH59 Level 1

I think you are right, my friend.

I will try to sort it out.

Thank you for all your help.

Steve