29 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 3:46 PM by whsprague

Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions

AlanKL Level 1

1. With Premiere 14,  will I be able to burn movies that have both 4k video clips as well as full 4k stills to play on UHDTV? 

2. If so, will I be able to burn it on DVD-R's?

3. I currently have version 11.  Are their lower priced upgrades available?

• 1. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
          A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

This is not Adobe, rather essentially a user to user forum. For pricing, that is an Adobe Sales matter. Elements programs are sold outright and not on a subscription basis as are the Creative Cloud Applications. For Elements, Adobe offers upgrade and full pricing. These are pricing terms only. Upgrade means that you can show proof a purchase of earlier version and consequently should be eligible for a lower price than if you could not. Full mean you do not quality for "Upgrade" pricing. You get the same product - Upgrade or Full. If you purchase other than a download from Adobe, the pricing is determined by the seller.

Premiere Elements 12/12.1, 13/13.1, and 14 have project presets and export settings for 4K 3840 x 2160 essentially file H.264.mp4 (AVCHD and XAVC-S with .mp4 file extension).

The burn to offerings are DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc, AVCHD 1920 x 1080 on DVD disc, and Blu-ray disc format 1920 x 1080 on Blu-ray disc.

What are your UHDTV's player specifications for format as well as the medium that the format needs to be on?

Please consider and give more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
            AlanKL Level 1

I'm confused.  I thought only 14 handles 3840 x 2160.  Currently I am running Premiere 12 and burning AVCHD 1920 x 1080 to DVD to play on my 1080 HDTV.  So I have been sizing my stills to 1080.  However, I will be replacing my TV with 4K UHDTV.    I want to be able to create stills sized to 3840 x 2160 so I can play back.  How will I be able to do that?

• 3. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
              A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

Not sure what the confusion. What are the original pixel dimensions of your stills that you are resizing to 1920 x 1080? Depending on the answer, just resize them to 3840 x 2160 pixels.

Please go to Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Expert workspace File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings and see the 4K 3840 x 2160 project presets under NTSC AVCHD QF project presets.

Qsettings.JPG

For the 4K 3840 x 2140 export, see Publish+Share/Computer/XAVC-S and the Presets there.

xavcs.jpg

Please check out what you have, and do some mini test runs before making your video editor decision.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                AlanKL Level 1

I won't get the IHDTV for awhile.  SO what I'd like to do is do all editing using the 3840 x 2160 pixels sized photos and then create for my current HDTV at 1080 using ACVHD.  Then when I get my UHDTV, I'll only have to burn a disk at the 2160 and not have to start all over editing from the beginning.  How would I do that?

• 5. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

Thanks for the reply.

Just to make sure we are OK on the plan...

a. With Premiere Elements (any version), there is no burn to disc that has a 3840 x 2160 frame size.

b. With 3rd party software, you can burn your Premiere Elements XAVC-S.mp4 or AVCHD.mp4 3840 x 2160 to disc as data disc if your player will playback that .mp4 file.

With any of the exports to file routes in Premiere Elements, there are no menus.

To get the AVCHD.mp4 3840 x 2160 - under the Advanced Button video tab of MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 preset, be sure to have setting - Profile = High, Level = 5.1, Frame Width = 3840, Frame Height = 2160, Pixel Aspect Ratio = Square (1.0), Frame Rate = 29.97.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                    AlanKL Level 1

Would Premiere Pro handle this whole process more seamlessly?   Does Pro also allow menus etc. And would i have to update my player unit as well?   What should i look for?  Thanks.

• 7. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                      Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere Pro doesn't author DVDs or Blu-Ray, but Encore, which comes with Premiere Pro CS6, does.  Premiere Pro will not add menus to any export.

• 8. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Peru Bob

But, is it safe to say that Premiere Pro with or without is burn to arm Encore does not provide for an export to file with menu - like Premiere Elements?

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere Pro does not export to any format with a menu. It will export to Mpeg2-DVD (or Blu-Ray) which Encore or any authoring program can use to make a DVD (or Blu-Ray) with menus.

• 10. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

AlanKL

Thanks for the reply.

I would suggest that you stay with Premiere Elements on this one.

As for the player aspects...with 12/12.1 you have all the features that you need to produce the 3840 x 2180 file which you can put to USB flash drive, memory card, or disc (with 3rd party software) and determine what will or will not play back with your player. For playback you need a support medium, support file format, coupled with support for the supported file format on a specific medium.

All the audio in these files should be AAC Stereo (or could also be even 5.1 channel)

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 14: 5.1 Channel Audio Export Opportunities.

Even though you do not yet have the UHDTV, do you have its player's specifications that might help us find out about support for the proposed exports.

Please consider, and then let me know if you have further concerns/questions on your planned workflow.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Peru Bob

Thanks. Overall sounds like Premiere Elements in this regard.

ATR

• 13. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                AlanKL Level 1

1. Ok so I'm going to import 3840 x 2160 stills and 720 video clips.  I've selected AVCHD QFHD 16 x 9 29.97 as the Preset.  Is the Preset correct?  For now, I want to create the slide show for play on AVCHD 1920 on DVD on my cuirrent 1920 HDTV.  Can I publish 1920 with the QFHD Preset? 

2. Then later, after I get the player unit for 4K and UHDTV, I want to use the same PREL program already created for 1920 to create the UHDTV.  Will I be able to do so?  I want to avoid having to program everything twice.

• 14. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                  AlanKL Level 1

OK I have a UHDTV 4k and a SAMSUNG NATIVE 4K BD PLAYER Model: UBD-K8500

Specs

Media Disc Type Details

VIDEO

Ultra HD

Blu-ray Disc Ultra HD BD-ROM format.

Blu-ray Disc

3D Blu-ray

Disc

BD-ROM or BD-RE/-R recorded in the BD-RE format.

DVD-VIDEO

DVD-RW

DVD-R

DVD+RW

DVD+R

DVD-VIDEO, recorded DVD+RW/DVD-RW(V)/DVD-R/+R that have been

recorded and

How to I output to DVD to get the 2160 4K.  Note that the new Samsung unit plays back my 1080 DVD in AVCHD with menus etc very well.  But I'd like to make the 2180 4K now.  SO what setting in Publish?  (the photos are already sized for 4K pixels).

• 15. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

DVDs are 720x480 pixels in size. There is no such thing as a 4k DVD.

That said, if you have any other questions in this regard, I'd recommend you start a new thread rather than tagging on to this one, which is nearly a year old.

• 16. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                      AlanKL Level 1

This is a continuation of my thread.  If you check above, I already successfully did AVCHD H264 in 1080 to a DVD so it plays in1080 through my BluRay player.  The questions is, how would I do 2160?  The only specs I can find are listed above for the UHD player.  Can I save to HD and then copy to DVD or some other way?

• 17. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Short answer: nope.

You need a program that can make UHD disks, which Elements cannot.

You can export the UHD timeline to an avchd disk (it will be HD and not UHD).

• 18. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                          whsprague Level 4

The latest model 4K TVs have USB ports.  It seems that the "normal" way to play 4K videos is through these USB ports from USB Hard Disk Drives or Flash "Thumb" drives.  

I verified this by creating a 4K project in Premier Elements 13 and outputting a 4K MP4 video using the XAVC-S presets.  I copied the project to a thumb drive and carried it to a "big box" store (Costco).   The clerks and I had fun watching my 4K vacation footage.  The original 4K footage was shot with a Panasonic Lumix LX100.  It was interesting how each TV brand had menu systems to support home videography and photography.  Some were better than the others. 

Varias electronics forums suggest doubt that 4K optical disk players will ever be common like HD Blu-Ray players.  The suggestions are strong that 4K streaming (like from Netflix) will dominate 4K or UHD delivery.  In other words, 4K optical disk players may be so rare that systems and software to make them might never reach consumer software products.

Time will tell.  For now, put your 4K projects on USB drives or memory cards.   It is likely that a cheap USB 3.0 card reader will allow you to take your camera card directly to your TV if watching the original clips is useful.

• 19. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                            whsprague Level 4

I looked up the manual for the Samsung UBD-K8500.  It suggests that you can copy 4K MP4s to either a Blu-Ray disk (if you have a Blu-Ray burner) or a DVD.  It may play!  There is a note in the fine print that bitrates are limited to 10Mbps on a DVD-R at a bit-rate that exceeds and 25 Mbps on a BD-R or USB device.  My camera shoots at 100Mbps!

Output settings are available to limit Mbps.  I did not do that on my tests at Costco using the USBs on the TV itself. 

I would enjoy hearing how you get this to work!

• 20. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                              AlanKL Level 1

My time line is currently at 2160 UHD for my photo stills. But right now I'm using Premiere 12 that doesn't seem to handle UHD when Publishing.

1.  If I upgrade to Premier 14, could I create the MP4 output for either the DVD or BluRay discs to play on my Samsung UHD Blu Ray player? 

2. Would it accept the existing timeline or would I have to start the edit from scratch?

3.  What's the best way to create a 4K UHD disk to combine 4K stills and 4K movie clips into a show to be played on UHDTVs??  I'm not really interested in using memory cards other than for a quick show.  I want to be able to send to family so they can play it on their 4k players.

• 21. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                                whsprague Level 4

AlanKL wrote:

My time line is currently at 2160 UHD for my photo stills. But right now I'm using Premiere 12 that doesn't seem to handle UHD when Publishing.

1. If I upgrade to Premier 14, could I create the MP4 output for either the DVD or BluRay discs to play on my Samsung UHD Blu Ray player?

2. Would it accept the existing timeline or would I have to start the edit from scratch?

3. What's the best way to create a 4K UHD disk to combine 4K stills and 4K movie clips into a show to be played on UHDTVs?? I'm not really interested in using memory cards other than for a quick show. I want to be able to send to family so they can play it on their 4k players.

The 4K output choices using XAVC-S to MP4 files showed up in 13 and I use them.  I skipped upgrading to 14, but suspect there may be more 4K output choices. 

1.  Premier Elements in the later versions, including 14,  will output to DVD discs and Blu-Ray discs.  For Blu-Ray, you have to have a Blu-Ray burner.   What your Samsung player wants is up to Samsung.  In the early Blu-Ray player days they all played Blu-Ray discs created to Blu-Ray specifications.   As time went on, the Blu-Ray players began to play other versions of HD video and still photo files.  Some could play MP4 or AVCHD files copied to discs.  Some had SD card slots and some had USB ports. 

2.  14 might accept a project file from 12.  I've not tried it.  As versions change, features added will prevent projects from old versions from working.   I would suggest you hope for the best but plan on the worst!

3.  The best way (for now) is to use Premier Elements 14 ( or even one of its few competitors) to create 4K MP4 files.  Then copy the finished file(s) to a USB drive and stick the drive into a USB port on the TV.   It works well.  I've done it.  It may work to copy the MP4 file to a disc but results will be solely dependent on the specifications of the disc player.   I don't think you can make a Ultra HD '4K' Blu-Ray disc because there seems to be nobody making "burner" drives for PCs.  

• 22. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                                  AlanKL Level 1

OK, I got a camera that shoots 4K a Sony DSC RX100iv. It shoots XAVC-S 4K at either 60mbps or 100mbps. I shot two 25 second samples, one at each rrate. The files were saved by the camera in its SD card. The properties listed for both files in Sony's program that looks at the files, are MP4 (XAVC-S) Format, 3840x2160, Video Codec AVC, recording frame rate 30p.

I burned (copied) both files as data files on a DVD-RW disk. When I played the two files as data files on my Samsung UHD 4K BluRay player UBD-K8500, the 100mbps file stops and starts intermittently while the 60mbps plays through.. Both files are 25 seconds in length. (Where, whsprague, did you see the 10mbps limitation in the specs for the player?)

So it seems possible that if I Published a created movie in MP4 in 4k as a stream but not something necessarily with menus, and in a low enough bit rate, I might be able to play it on the Samsung UHD B-R player. I can't test it because I only have Premiere 12 at this point that doesn't Publish anything greater than 1080 as far as I can tell.

What Publish outputs are available with Version 14? Can you get it to output 2160?  What formats?

Sprague, when you used a reader, are you able to create menus or only stream the video show?

• 23. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                                    AlanKL Level 1

The specs for my players (I just found them) says that the unit will play on a BR disk not higher than 24mbps.  (My test of 60mbps worked  as per my last post.  Maybe their specs are incorrect.)  .So what bit rates with Premiere 14 can you Publish 4K?  Would it be better to just Publish at 1080?

• 24. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                                      AlanKL Level 1

I connected a memory card to the Sony UHDTV with USB.  The 4K 100mbps MP4 (XAVC-S) played fine.  So if I can create a MP4 file that's 4K and Publish it onto a memory card (the disk would be more convenient if the data rate can be held down below 60mbps), I should be able to show the slide and movie show directly on the TV.  I could also then Publish a lower resolution 1080 AVCHD onto a DVD-R to give to friends and family to see the same show including menus.

Does that work?  Disk and/USB memory card?

• 25. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                                        whsprague Level 4

Common practice for those with 4K TVs, 4K cameras and 4K editing is to use the USB ports on their TVs with thumb/flash drives or portable HDDs.   Using optical drives limits you to Blu-Ray specifications at best and that is below 4K specifications.  If you really want to use your Blu-Ray player, you can build your entire project at 4K.  At output, go through the process of creating a Blu-Ray disk or and AVCHD Disk.   Premier Elements will down size the data to HD quality. 

• 26. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                                          AlanKL Level 1

OK, so until someone creates a B-R UHD writer, I'm stuck with using a flash drive or HDD attached to the USB on either the Sony UHDTV or the Samsung UHD player.  I tried the file on the flash card that was in the camera shot at 4k, 30 frames,100mbps.  It worked unlike the data file on the DVD that only worked in 60mbps.  So what are the Premiere 14 Publishing outputs that are available in 4K?

• 27. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                                            AlanKL Level 1

I followed AT Romano's advice on Post #3 above and Published to Computer>XAVC-S>MP4 H264 3840x2160 29.97p 30mbps.  I then copied the file to a DVD disk and it played in my UHD Samsung disk player as a data file. Played with no problem.  I had both 4K video  and  4mb jpegs, 17mb original still photos (4864x3648) in the timeline.

Sprague, I think it should work on any Ultra HD B-R player, the Ultra being the key word. It doesn't play on my HD B-R players.

So now I'll  set up and run the whole process as 4K making two outputs.  One a data stream in 4K and another a HD disk in 1080 with menus that later I can give to friends, or give both type so they can have the flexibility.  Thanks everyone for your help.

• 28. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                                              whsprague Level 4

AlanKL wrote:

...... So what are the Premiere 14 Publishing outputs that are available in 4K?

I've not traded up to 14.  In 13 they are all under Publish&Share > Computer.  The drop down menu give a variety of choices but the 4K stuff is under "X-AVCS".  Mine has four presets.  There is an "Advanced" button that allows you to tweak your output and save as many personal presets as you want.  My favorite choice under the "Advanced" button is another button that says "Match Source".  That seems to work well for my two 4K cameras. 

The interface screens for version 14 are different, but I think the choices are generally the same. 

• 29. Re: Premiere 14 4k burning and pricing questions
                                                                whsprague Level 4

AlanKL wrote:

I followed AT Romano's advice on Post #3 above and Published to Computer>XAVC-S>MP4 H264 3840x2160 29.97p 30mbps. I then copied the file to a DVD disk and it played in my UHD Samsung disk player as a data file. Played with no problem. I had both 4K video and 4mb jpegs, 17mb original still photos (4864x3648).

Sprague, I think it should work on any Ultra HD B-R player, the Ultra being the key word. It doesn't play on my HD B-R players.

So now I'll set up and run the whole process as 4K making two outputs. One a data stream in 4K and another a HD disk in 1080 with menus that later I can give to friends, or give both type so they can have the flexibility. Thanks everyone for your help.

My cameras capture at around 100mbps.   Creating a 4K final file at 30mbps seems like it would be compressing out some of the reason to shoot 4K in the first place.  

If your friends are limited to Blu-Ray players, you have little choice but to make Blu-Ray quality output.   My reading suggests that disks are on the way out and most will watch Hollywood movies with services like Netflix or Amazon Prime.  Reading suggests there is little demand for UHD disk players and we may never see them widely adopted.   Consider using YouTube or Vimeo for sharing with friends.  I put my 4K output on Vimeo and it adapts to whatever the viewer has.  If equipped for 4K they can watch in 4K.  If they have an old tube TV, they can do that to!