5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 4:25 PM by ManiacJoe

Losing my edits/history after import from LR4 to LR5

ktlangleyphotography

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance. Recently I imported some older (edited) photos from an old LR4 catalog. I opened the catalog in LR5 and it updated everything inside. I then exported the projects in question into a temporary catalog and then imported that catalog into my main LR5 catalog. Everything seemed to go off well and all my photos (with edits) came into my newer catalog. At that point I started to look at a few, more recent, projects that were already in my new catalog and as I clicked on them, they lost the edits that I saw in the library and showed me the original RAW file. I have a time machine backup, and I can restore my old catalog to before my import, but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this and if it's possible to get my edits back without losing the work I've done on a different project that I was working before I knew the issue existed. It's not all of the edited photos in the old projects either, just a few. So maybe I've lost a preset somehow during the import? Any help AT ALL will be hugely appreciated. Thanks to everyone in this forum for any help they can give me!

KT

• 1. Re: Losing my edits/history after import from LR4 to LR5
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I imported some older (edited) photos from an old LR4 catalog. I opened the catalog in LR5 and it updated everything inside. I then exported the projects in question into a temporary catalog and then imported that catalog into my main LR5 catalog.

I do not understand all this procedure you have done! and what "projects"?

A LR4 catalog can be simply 'Opened' in LR5 .  No importing / exporting or temporary catalogs involved at all !

LR5 will automatically update the catalog to be compatible with LR5.

(An analogy- A 'Catalog' is like a word document, if created in Word97 then opened in Word 2010, it has to be modified to work with the updated 'Word' program. Its contents do not change.)

• 2. Re: Losing my edits/history after import from LR4 to LR5
            ktlangleyphotography Level 1

Hello! So I have 2 lightroom catalogs. My main catalog is a lightroom 5 catalog and my older catalog is a lightroom 4 catalog. I wanted to import some of my edits from my old catalog, so, as you said, I opened the older LR4 catalog in LR5. It updated the catalog and i saw all my older photos. I then selected the photos that I wanted in my newer catalog and exported them (as a catalog). I then imported the catalog I had created into my main catalog. Now I have my older photos in my main catalog and all is well and good. However, I lost some of my edits that were in my "main" catalog. The raw images are still there, but the history under the "develop" tab only shows that I imported the file and didn't edit it and no edits have been applied.

• 3. Re: Losing my edits/history after import from LR4 to LR5
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Now I think I understand- you wanted 'selective' older photos( in LR4 catalog) added to the 'main' LR5 catalog.

My method might have been to simply "Import from Another Catalog" and import the whole LR4 'older' catalog merging it into the newer 'main' LR5 catalog.

But, I have no answer to- why the edit history in the LR5 catalog was cleared- sorry!

Did you at any time use the file "import" function? instead of "Import from Another Catalog".

• 4. Re: Losing my edits/history after import from LR4 to LR5
                candast74907106

Did you ever figure out what went wrong? I've tried exporting lr4 as jpeg and raw, same thing. No edits opening in lr5...

• 5. Re: Losing my edits/history after import from LR4 to LR5
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Exporting and importing is the wrong thing to do because it will lose all your edits.

Open LR 5, from the menu /File/open/ select your LR4 catalog.

This will cause LR5 to migrate your LR4 data into a new LR5 catalog named the same but with a "-2" at the end (if I remember correctly).