6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2015 4:57 AM by Keith_Reeder

Where are my photos?

julieg44898016

LR is eating all of the space on my hard drive.  I looked for advise online and saw that LR creates duplicates which eat up space (my backups have taken nearly 400GB).  The suggestion was to remove a number of the backups.  I clicked on a random one to see what was inside.  My LR has backed up to images that I took months ago, losing all of my recent work.

My Images are still in my photos on my MAC hard drive but not in LR.  When I try to import them it says that they are duplicates and yet they are nowhere to be seen...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Where are my photos?
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try searching using some of the file names. Bring up the Library filter above the thumbnails by pressing the \ backslash key. Then go to the catalog tab and choose All Photographs to search the entire catalog. From the filter click Text and type a file name into the box marked “contains all”

• 2. Re: Where are my photos?
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

julieg44898016 wrote:

My Images are still in my photos on my MAC hard drive but not in LR.  When I try to import them it says that they are duplicates and yet they are nowhere to be seen...

Julie,

no offence, but you'd benefit from taking in some beginners' videos on how Lr works. Your images are not - never have been, never will be - in Lr. Lr only stores a reference to them in its database, and they're physically wherever you imported them to.

And that's why Lr says that images you've already imported are duplicates, when you try and import them again: they are duplicates, and Lightroom knows about the originals.

As Jon suggests - search for them by name, because they will be out there, somewhere.

As to the catalogues themselves - it's up to the individual, but I tend only to keep the last five or so, and delete everything older. Again, your most recent catalogue, with your recent work, will be there, somewhere. Do a search using your operating system search tools for files with the suffix ".lrcat": the newest will be your latest catalogue. Click on it, and it will open Lr with that catalogue loaded up.

• 3. Re: Where are my photos?
              julieg44898016 Level 1

Thank you Keith - I have managed to restore all but one batch of editing (not sure I backed up after that session so that would make sense).

You are right about some training on LR!! i recently moved from bridge and am completely at a loss with it...I know I need to get my head around it because my editing times are so much shorter with batch editing since moving to LR but my file organisation has become an absolute mess!

I also moved to MAC from Pc at the same time - feeling a little out of my depth!!!

Once again, I really appreciate your help. Have a good day.

• 4. Re: Where are my photos?
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

What Keith meant to say is he only keeps the last Catalog "BACKUPS" not the Catalogs. You should only have ONE Catalog file.

Also you should follow his advice to view some online tutorials on how LR works and how to use LR properly. It seems you don't have any knowledge, at this point, of how LR actually works and what LR is doing when you import images into it's Database file (IE the Catalog).

Without some basic knowledge of how LR works it can be very confusing.

LR does not Store your images, they are NOT IN LR. Your images are stored on your computers hard drive.

• 5. Re: Where are my photos?
                  julieg44898016 Level 1

Thanks Jon - I've managed to restore a recent backup...

Now I'm off to watch some you tube videos to see if I can get my head around this LR malarky!!  Have a good day.

• 6. Re: Where are my photos?
                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

Shootistbond007 wrote:

What Keith meant to say is he only keeps the last Catalog "BACKUPS" not the Catalogs. You should only have ONE Catalog file.

Yep - good catch.