6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 1:13 PM by methrev

Connecting and using Adobe Premiere Elements with new camcorder

methrev Level 1

I am considering purchasing a new camcorder to replace the Panasonic NV-GS 180 which I bought in 2007 and which has served me well. For most of the time I have used Adobe Premiere Elements 7 to edit my films, using a firewire to connect from the camcorder to the computer. The camcorder I am considering buying is Panasonic HC-V770. I am told that firewire is 'old technology'. How would I need to connect such a modern camcorder to my computer to video-edit with Adobe Premiere Elements 7 ?

• 1. Re: Connecting and using Adobe Premiere Elements with new camcorder
          A.T. Romano Level 7

methrev

This is a re-write of what I originally wrote.

I am assuming that you are planning on continuing with Premiere Elements 7 on your present computer.

What is your workflow - DV or HDV Capture firewire into the Premiere Elements 7 Capture Window? If so,

This question is not a Premiere Elements question, rather a Panasonic parts question to get the firewire cable with the right pin configuration for camcorder and computer firewire connection. The NV-GS 180 seems to have 4 pin to 4 pin and that seems to be working for you now with camcorder and computer for captures. And, Premiere Elements DV HDV capture succeeds with the firewire connection.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/PVGS180-MULTI.PDF see page 75

But the new camcorder does not appear to be a miniDV camcorder. We are then not talking about firewire and the camcorder connection specs include USB, not firewire.

Please explain

For most of the time I have used Adobe Premiere Elements 7 to edit my films, using a firewire to connect from the camcorder to the computer

It would appear that the new camcorder does not offer DV or HDV capture and records to AVCHD to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card

HD Video Recorder - HC-V770K - Panasonic US

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Connecting and using Adobe Premiere Elements with new camcorder
            methrev Level 1

This is a re-write of what I originally wrote.

I am assuming that you are planning on continuing with Premiere Elements 7 on your present computer.

Yes, I plan to continue with Premiere Elements 7

What is your workflow - DV or HDV Capture firewire into the Premiere Elements 7 Capture Window?

When capturing material from my camcorder, I click DV Camcorder

If so,

This question is not a Premiere Elements question, rather a Panasonic parts question to get the firewire cable with the right pin configuration for camcorder and computer firewire connection. The NV-GS 180 seems to have 4 pin to 4 pin and that seems to be working for you now with camcorder and computer for captures. And, Premiere Elements DV HDV capture succeeds with the firewire connection.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/PVGS180-MULTI.PDF see page 75

But the new camcorder does not appear to be a miniDV camcorder. We are then not talking about firewire and the camcorder connection specs include USB, not firewire.

Please explain

For most of the time I have used Adobe Premiere Elements 7 to edit my films, using a firewire to connect from the camcorder to the computer

Sorry, I meant that I bought Premiere Elements 7 a few years after I bought my camcorder in 2007. For a year or two before purchasing PE7 I used Windows Moviemaker

It would appear that the new camcorder does not offer DV or HDV capture and records to AVCHD to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card

HD Video Recorder - HC-V770K - Panasonic US

Presumably I would need to click on the AVCHD icon of the “Get Media” page in PE7. I would need to check with Panasonic whether the USB wire supplied with the HC-V770 is powerful enough to transfer everything from the camcorder to the computer. When I bought my 2007 camcorder, a USB cable was not, hence the need to purchase a firewire cable.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Connecting and using Adobe Premiere Elements with new camcorder
              A.T. Romano Level 7

methrev

Thanks for the reply.

From your choice of Premiere Elements Get Media/DV Camcorder, it would appear that you are taking advantage of the firewire capture from the old Panasonic miniDV camcorder.

From what I have read, your planned new camcorder is not a miniDV camcorder and does not offer the capture feature. When you record your video with the new Panasonic, it appears that you will be getting AVCHD files on a memory card in the camcorder. You can try to get those files into Premiere Elements 7

a. transferring the files from the memory card in the camcorder to the computer and from there into Premiere Elements 7 Get Media/Files and Folders

or

b. make a USB connection between camcorder and computer, open Premiere Elements 7 to its Timeline workspace, and select Get Media/"AVCHD or other hard drive memory camcorder"/"Adobe Premiere Elements - Media Downloader"/ and determine if the Media Downloader will recognize your new camcorder.

The greater problem that you face is editing your high definition, high resource demanding AVCHD footage in Premiere Elements 7 which is a 32 bit application whether it is run on a 32 bit or 64 bit computer. If I am understanding your information correctly, you have been editing standard or standard widescreen definition video. Big resource jump from standard definition to high definition, especially AVCHD footage.

Information - Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14 no longer have the DV or HDV Capture firewire feature. The last version to have that feature is version 12/12.1.

From the Windows perspective - Premiere Elements 10, 11, 12/12.1, 13/13.1, and 14 are 64 bit application when run specifically on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit. The latter arrangement will help you get your AVCHD (high resource demanding format) projects taken to completion successfully with a higher frequency.

Please consider, and then let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Connecting and using Adobe Premiere Elements with new camcorder
                methrev Level 1

Many thanks for your helpful and understandable reply. My computer is now over seven years old (HP Compaq dc7800) and has a 32 bit operating system and 4.00GB of memory. I have Windows Vista Business on it. I am always conscious that when video-editing with Adobe PE7, it is vital to keep saving work done very frequently as the system 'freezes' when overloaded and many minutes of work can be lost.

Your concerns in the last two paragraphs of your previous posting make me wonder whether my present computer and PE7 would cope with the significantly higher requirements of the Panasonic camcorder I have been looking at. Needless to say, I would feel very frustrated if I spent money on a better and more modern camcorder, only to find I couldn't edit it on my computer.

• 5. Re: Connecting and using Adobe Premiere Elements with new camcorder
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

methrev

Thanks for the follow up.

Based on the description of your present computer operating system with Premiere Elements 7, I expect that you will be in for challenge trying to get even a 1 hour AVCHD project edited and exported. But, if possible, please find out if you can get a sample video from the camcorder that you plan to purchase (either from online or from the seller of the camera) in order for you to define( prove to yourself) your own computer resource limits.

At this point, all is pointing to 64 bit computer with at least 8 GB installed RAM and Premiere Elements 10 or later to edit your AVCHD footage from the camcorder that you are thinking about purchasing.

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements

Best wishes,

ATR

• 6. Re: Connecting and using Adobe Premiere Elements with new camcorder
                    methrev Level 1

Thank you very much. All that you have written is really helpful and much appreciated as I look ahead.