7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 11:14 PM by JFPhoton

First PC Build - GoPro 4K Video Editing Using Premiere Pro and AE - Opinions

Folks, I got a GoPro Hero 4 for my birthday which is freaking awesome! But once I started editing 4K video using my lenovo laptop, my dream became a nightmare. I decided to build a PC and I have been researching parts for weeks now, I am really suffering from information overload! After dozens of articles & reviews, benchmark charts, and youtube videos here is my list. My budget is $3K. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DCcX8d

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DCcX8d/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($379.99 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($369.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.89 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.89 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Toshiba  5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($144.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Toshiba  5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($144.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Classified ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($679.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($132.67 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($85.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $2637.35

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-21 13:31 EST-0500

Some questions I have when I look at this build are:

1. Is the GPU overkill? I am not a gamer but it seemed that the added CUDA cores wouldn't hurt when using Adobe Creative Suite. I am also planning on using a 42" 4K TV as monitor.
      2. I considered upgrading some of the storage to M.2. Any Adobe users who've seen increased performance?

Thanks Folks. All opinions are appreciated. I am getting ready to hit the "buy" button soon

• 2. Re: First PC Build - GoPro 4K Video Editing Using Premiere Pro and AE - Opinions
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

1. gtx 980 ti overkill? depends on your project and media. premiere still only uses the cpu to decode h264/265, therefore a high end gpu wont help there. it will help with any gpu based effects and color grading. neat video denoiser can also use the gpu. if you don't plan on using many of those gpu based effects or plugins, the gtx 970 may be fine and cost alot less.

2. m.2 storage?  currently pcie (intel 750) & m.2 (samsung 950 pro) ssd's are in an odd situation since they currently have somewhat low capacity. their main benefit is to replace multiple drive setups and/or raid setups, with a single drive, as long as everything can fit on them. they are fast enough to have one drive hold everything (os/apps/projects/media/etc), then use a large hdd to store finished projects and backups. smaller bitrate codecs, like h264 footage, don't need these super fast drives, but they may offer a slightly faster response when jumping around the timeline while editing. they would be most useful for large bitrate media, which is so big they often won't fit on one of these single drives anyways.

unless you have a need for high memory outside of premiere, 64gb could also be in overkill territory. i would suggest at least 2400mhz, but the faster the better.

sata ssd, 32gb memory, and gtx 970 would be more reasonable, while m.2/pcie, 64gb memory, and gtx 980 ti more extreme.

also, if you plan on max overclocking you want a quality 1k watt psu and 280mm or larger rad liquid cooler. if going for mild or medium overclock, consider the Noctua NH-D15S or similar air cooler. big air coolers can now compete with 240mm rads, but can be quieter (no pump noise) and no chance of leaking.

• 4. Re: First PC Build - GoPro 4K Video Editing Using Premiere Pro and AE - Opinions
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I really believe in the new M.2 SSD storage but be very careful first the M.2 specification has three different interfaces

1. PCI x4 or x2
            2. SATA III
            3. USB 3.0

Make sure you only get the PCIe x4 if you are looking for great performance .The only great ones today that I could find were the Samsung 950 Pro, Samsung SM951. the Samsung XP941  is a poor third choice.  All the rest of the search on Newegg were lousy choice SATA III devices and probably would not even work on your X99 board as the keying is different.

My 99-E WS motherboard will have several M.2 devices via PCI-E adapter boards, plus the one on the motherboard.

Here is the best and latest the Samsung 950 Pro test results:

Samsung 950 Pro.png

I have found that I can actually write our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) Disk I/O test to this device at 1500 MB/second!

• 6. Re: First PC Build - GoPro 4K Video Editing Using Premiere Pro and AE - Opinions
              gatorjustice75 Level 1

Hey folks,

I really appreciate all of your feedback. I ended up going with the following drive setup:

1. Samsung 850 Pro (256GB): Operating system and Adobe Premiere Pro CC installed
              2. Samsung M.2 950 Pro (512 GB): Working Media (i.e. videos that I am editing, other project assets, etc.). This is the only thing that I have here
              3. Samsun 850 Pro (256GB): Scratch disks, I have also installed some PC games
              4. Seagate hybrid SSD/HDD for output files, the saved adobe projects and downloaded media from my GoPro, Nikon camera, etc. Sort of like a "holding" stage. I also have the "cache" from Adobe Premiere Pro here. This is backed up with a WD passport external hard drive
              5. 2 Toshiba 5TB (mirrored) backed up with a WD external hard drive for all of my media (10 years worth!)

Other hardware:

1. Ended up going with the MSI GTX-980 4G Gaming
              2. CPU: Intel i7-5820K, overclocked to 4.5 GHZ using the ASUS auto-tuning tool. I literally just pressed a button and the software automatically overclocked the CPU.
              3. Asus X-99A MB
              4. 64 GB RAM 2133 MGHZ
              5. Corsair 110i-GTX (280mm radiator so it is big) for my CPU cooler
              6. the Corsair 760T case (amazing!)
              7. Corsair RM1000x PSU (1,000 watts)

I must have watched dozens of YouTube videos on PC building, tips, advice, etc. I assembled the thing and here are the results:

One word: glorious! The 4K video editing is out of this world. Videos in the source and program monitors are played at "full" resolution with zero dropped frames. Color grading and color correction is amazing too. I can manipulate every setting and see it change while video is playing. Rendering is lighting fast, seconds for a 2 min clip. Encoding is super fast. In my last computer, my last GoPro movie (5min sequence) took about 90 minutes to encode (output file was 3GB). Same clip took 6 minutes with my new computer. 

Thanks again for your comments. I will post a picture of the PC soon.

• 7. Re: First PC Build - GoPro 4K Video Editing Using Premiere Pro and AE - Opinions
                JFPhoton Level 3

......your original post sounds IMBALANCED to my ears, by what you say CAUSED your desire to build an expensive editing machine....acquiring a single Go pro 4K camera ? Now, with the successful results given with your new editing computer, you MUST buy MORE cameras, tripods, rigs, and audio gear as you begin the march toward "artistic expression" and become a professional video producer !