4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2015 12:46 PM by dave gorke

DNG Back-ups and Copying

dave gorke

I recently returned from a trip on which I used my laptop to import, convert to 'dng" and edit my images using LR5.  I copied my laptop "dng" files to my desk top and imported them (also LR5).  I discovered that edits I had made to some images were no longer there.  What happened?  Now I have to re-edit those images.

• 1. Re: DNG Back-ups and Copying
          dj_paige Level 9

The edits are still in your laptop catalog. Open the Laptop Catalog, and then select the desired photos, choose File->Export as Catalog (and check the "Export Negative Files" box)

Take all files thus created, move them to your desktop computer using your operating system; and in Lightroom on your desktop computer select File->Import From Another Catalog and point to the catalog you just moved from the laptop.

• 2. Re: DNG Back-ups and Copying
            sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Dave Gorke,

You need to export the images first from Lightroom to see the edits outside of Lightroom.

You are supposed to copy these exported ones and import them to the other Lightroom to see the edits.

Regards

Sarika

• 3. Re: DNG Back-ups and Copying
              dj_paige Level 9

sarsaxen wrote:

Hi Dave Gorke,

You need to export the images first from Lightroom to see the edits outside of Lightroom.

You are supposed to copy these exported ones and import them to the other Lightroom to see the edits.

Regards

Sarika

I disagree. The method to use is to Export as Catalog followed by (on the other computer) Import as Catalog. This not only preserves the edit history, but also preserves other metadata items such as collections, flags and a few other things.

• 4. Re: DNG Back-ups and Copying
                dave gorke Level 1

Thanks, I forgot about the catalog.