14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 6:19 AM by A.T. Romano

Exporting a 50p movie to 25i

teutales

Hello,

my new camcorder records 50p movies. in my project I export also 50p, the result is very nice. But I need a second export to 25i, because when streaming the movies from my NAS via DLNA the TVs do not accept 50p. So I want to export to 25i. In the export settings I switched the framerate to 25 top field first. When I inspect the result with media info the file is 25i, but when I watch the movie it is not interlaced. It looks like 25p.

I use premiere elements 14 with this settings:

premiere.png

Where is my misstake?

• 1. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
          A.T. Romano Level 7

teutales

I would strongly advised to keep away from settings which let the program do Match Source.

Please type in the settings for each.

Export & Share

Devices

Custom

and the Advanced Settings

I am assuming that you prefer the Format = MPEG2, so I will start from there. We can explore other Formats next time if wanted.

Format = MPEG2

Preset = Custom

Next do

Level = High

Profile = High

Then do

Frame Width = 1920

Frame Height = 1080

Frame Rate = 25

Field Order = Upper First

Aspect Ratio = Widescreen 16:9

TV Standard = PAL

Bitrate Encoding = VBR, 2 Pass

and I will leave you Bitrate settings as you set them...

Minimum Bitrate (Mbps) = 24

Target Bitrate (Mbps) = 28

Maximum Bitrate (Mbps) = 32

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
            teutales Level 1

Hi ATR,

first of all: thanks for your reply.

I tried your settings, but without an improvment. Here's my setting (like your suggested):

22-11-_2015_00-05-47.png

But the result is still not interlaced. Here's a screensot from the result with a player, switched of deinterlacing:

premiere.png

When I do the same with another program it looks right (but I do not want to use that program):

magix.png

• 3. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
              A.T. Romano Level 7

teutales

Thanks for the reply.

If you use the settings suggested you should get your interlaced video. I ran through the procedure with Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit. And, then put the export through the MediaInfo video audio properties read out program. The read out verified 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second with Scan Order Top Field First.

To follow your workflow closely I started the Premiere Elements 14 project with the PAL AVCHD 1080p50 project preset.

Please download and install the free MediaInfo program and put your export (according to my settings) through that MediaInfo and tell us what you find under video properties (Tree View) for

Scan Type

Scan Order

MediaInfo download | SourceForge.net

I found Scan Type Interlace and Scan Order Upper First when I did the test.

As with all download software, please be careful in your downloading and installing choices to avoid unwanted baggage that may come with the wanted software.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
                teutales Level 1

Hi ATR,

on my computer there is media info installed, and the funny thing is: it show me interlaced top field first (as I mentioned in the initial post). But you see in my screenshots: it does not look like interlace. On fast pannings there are no interlacing stripes, instead of the video jerks. (I hope you understand my english).

If I export the video with 25p, the pannings in the video looks exectly like in the 25i. Media info show me in both files the correct scan type.

• 5. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

teutales

Thanks for the update.

My understanding is that we both have produced 1080i video, not 1080p, from the Premiere Elements export with settings for 1080i. Confirmed by both of us with MediaInfo (Tree View).

Have you looked into the probability that the player is deinterlacing your 1080i for playback? Many players have such features (some let you turn off the deinterlacing option).

ATR

• 6. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
                    teutales Level 1

Hi ATR,

yes, I tried to produce 1080i. I think the file header of the export tells media info that the video is 1080i, but the video is still 1080p (25 frames).

I checked the deinterlacing options with two programs - VLC and Splash. In both you can enable and disable deinterlacing. There is no difference when enabling /disabling it. When I export the video with another program I see the difference (see the screenshots in my 2. post).

Have ou checked your export with a viewer?

• 7. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

teutales

Thanks for the reply with important troubleshooting follow up.

What specific players were used to generate the screenshoots (with and without an interlaced look in post 2.

ATR

• 8. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
                        teutales Level 1

The first picture is the Premiere export viewed in Splash, the second picture is a magix export viewed in Splash, both with deinterlacing turned off. When I use VLC as a viewer it is the same result.So you see the Premiere export is wrong, the magix export is right (but I want to use Premiere because of the better encoding).

• 9. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

teutales

I do not yet agree with your conclusion, but I am exploring. I do not have Splash. But, I will look at what you describe with VLC player and the video produced from Premiere Elements which I believe is interlaced video not progressive.

To be continued...

ATR

• 10. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

teutales

Again I created a Premiere Elements 14 project

PAL\AVCHD\HD1080p50

I used a Panasonic 1080p50 AVCHD.mts on the Timeline

When I got to Premiere Elements 14 Export & Share/Devices/Custom, I created a custom preset for Format MPEG2 for 1080i25 video (as described previously for what you specified).

Again, the resulting  MPEG2.mpg 1080i25 (interlaced, not progressive) was confirmed with MediaInfo video properties readout and now in addition GSpot a codec utility which states "interlace and not progressive" video in its readout.

GSpotProof.jpg

When I play this 1080i25 video in

VLC player, I am not seeing any interlaced irregularities, that does not mean to me that the video is therefore progressive. And, deinterlace is not turned off.

MediaPlayerClassic x64, calls the video 1080i25 with Top Field Field, like MediaInfo, playback is excellent and not displaying any interlace irregularities. Deinterlace is not enabled.

I do not believe that you are justified in labeling interlaced video that displays without interlace artifacts as progressive.

I would definitely look at the Magix interlaced export in these players to find out what is going on there. According to what you wrote, it is the Magix export that is giving you interlace artifacts in its export, not Premiere Elements 14's 1080i25 export. Again absence of interlace artifacts does not equal progressive video.

I have not download Splash. Does Splash offer a description of the video that it is playing back. If so, what does it give 1080p or 1080i for the Premiere Elements 14 export to 1080i25?

Please consider.

ATR

• 11. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
                              teutales Level 1

Hi, first I want to say thank you for your invested time.

i checked the export also with gspot and media player classic. Yes, it shows interlaced. I think it's correct.

But...

I maintain that the encoder is doing wrong. 25 frames means that I have 50 fields. But it seems to me that field one and two are the same, three and four, five and six...

That's the reason for the jerking. There's a loss of movement.

Meanwhile, I have also tried x264 encoder which also works correct (you can see combing when turning off deinterlacing).

I maintain that absence of interlace artifacts (when turning off deinterlacing) means that there is no correct export.

• 12. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

teutales

We are at an impasse on the interpretation of the results.

And, I do not see the rationale behind basing your conclusion on the export from Magix, not Premiere Elements.

But, putting that aside for the moment, at the beginning, you said that you needed an interlaced video and explained

I need a second export to 25i, because when streaming the movies from my NAS via DLNA the TVs do not accept 50p.

Consequently, I ask "Does the Premiere Elements 14 MPEG2.mpg which all are naming as 1080i work when streaming the movies from your "NAS via DLNA"?

Have you given any though to network problems inherent in your networks besides interlace, "specialized interlace", and progressive factors?

If you obtain an interlaced video (1920 x 1080i25) that has nothing to do with Premiere Elements 14 export of MPEG2.mpg 1080i25, how does this fit into all this?

Please consider.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 13. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
                                  teutales Level 1

Hey ATR,

you're right, we discussed a lot.Again, I have to say thank you for your time.

Maybe my description was not accurate enough., itIt is:

I need a second export to 25i, because when streaming the movies from my NAS via DLNA the TVs do not accept 50p. I can do a 25i export with Premiere. The export should have 50 frames with interlaced material to maintain the fluid motions, but I think Premiere do not export interlaced material. It only marks it as interlaced. But there are only 25 frames each second (comparable with a 25p export).

I think Premiere Elements can not do this.

• 14. Re: Exporting a 50p movie to 25i
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

teutales

Thank you for the reply, but what was your answer to my question about using a 1080i25 in your network system -- a 1080i25 that was not produced by Magix and  has never seen Premiere Elements?

Perhaps a typing error when you wrote 50 frames with interlaced material...but for 1080i25, there are 25 interlaced frames per second (50 fields per second). Whereas, for 1080p50, there are 50 progressive frames per second (no fields).

Whatever the case, I still think that you need to reconsider your conclusion on what Premiere Elements 14 is producing in this case for 1080i25. I will also think about this some more.

Best wishes

ATR