24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2015 1:16 PM by AutoMatters & More

Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

AutoMatters & More Level 1

I am trying to upgrade Lightroom CC from 2015.2.1 release to Lightroom 6.3/CC 2015.3 but when I click Update it tells me to save my work, close Lightroom and click Continue. As soon as I close Lightroom the update dialog box disappears. Help, please.

• 1. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

I was able to upgrade by going to the "Lightroom Journal" page on "blogs.adobe.com." Even though the title of the article says "Lightroom CC 2015.2 now available," within that subject it goes on to say "Update #2: Lightroom 6.3/CC 2015.3 is now available which includes the previous import functionality, bug fixes and added camera/lens profile support.

Update: We plan to restore the old import experience in our next update.

We’re happy to announce the immediate availability of major updates across the Lightroom ecosystem today!"

Further down the page it says:

"Installation Instructions

Please select Help > Updates to use the update mechanism in the Creative Cloud app.

Direct download links: Mac  |  Win"

I clicked on Mac and the update downloaded. I was able to successfully install it.

However, I still do not know why I was unable to update direct from Lightroom CC's Help tab, as described in my question. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

• 2. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You update the newer CC apps from the Creative Cloud Desktop app. Although you should also be able to update from the program itself.

• 3. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

Thank you. I assume that since this is an app, I would have needed to do the update on my iPhone, correct? It would certainly be a lot more straightforward if the update process within the program worked. I guess that is a bug that needs to be fixed.

• 4. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

AutoMatters & More wrote:

Thank you. I assume that since this is an app, I would have needed to do the update on my iPhone, correct? It would certainly be a lot more straightforward if the update process within the program worked. I guess that is a bug that needs to be fixed.

No not at all. LR is a Computer program, Apple Speak a Computer App. It does not run on any Mobile devices, iOS or Android. For that there is LR Mobile (Junk IMHO).

Adobe Screwed the Pooch with the 2015.2/6.2 update and only recently, Tuesday or Wednesday, released the 2015.3/6.3 update. Some of there Update servers have not been updated to the newest release. I suspect the Help>Check for Updates severs is one of those while the CC desktop app servers have been updated with the .3 update.

The day the .3 update was release I used the CC desktop app to update both of my system to the most current release of LR, PS and Bridge.

• 5. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

Thank you for your patience and your explanation.

I am in the process of transferring the first of the five memory cards that I shot this past week. The Import process was a lot more familiar after I did the update via the process that I described earlier. I don't know if that is because of the update that I downloaded or because I had (earlier this morning) unchecked the Show "Add Photos" screen in Preferences --> General (thanks to a tip that I'd found online, when asking how I could stop Lightroom from automatically browsing my entire computer and 18 TB worth of storage in my connected Drobo every time that I clicked Import, since "upgrading" to Lightroom 6.2.

However, I do not think that what I downloaded is the most recent version of Lightroom that you used. When I check in the "About Adobe Photoshop CC" selection under the Lightroom dropdown menu, it says: "2015.3 Release Camera Raw 9.3" but it does not say anything about a .3 update. I would like to install that too. Would you please tell me how to install (or run?) the CC desktop app?

I sure wish that Adobe had left Lightroom alone. It has become very confusing. It worked just fine before.

Thank you again.

• 6. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

When I used .3 I meant 2015.3 or 6.3. I just cut the first part out.

Yes you now have the most current release of LR.

You, me and THOUSANDS of other users. It was from the Uproar of user complaints that brought back the original import window. I came close to canceling my subscription over it. I had reverted from the 2015.2 and .2.1 updates to the 2015.1.1 just to have the original import window back.

• 7. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

I am glad that I found the latest update. Is there a way for my computer to notify me when there are more updates?

Also, how do I find and install the CC Desktop computer App that you mentioned, since I cannot seem to be able to do updates from within Lightroom CC's Help drop-down menu?

• 8. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

Since you are so knowledgeable, I was wondering if you know how to get .wav files to show up next to my NEF (Raw) photos in Lightroom? I record audio "notes" when I take photos. The camera assigns them the same file number so they are saved next to the relevant photos in their folders, but I need to be able to see that they are they (and click on them) to know that I have made important notes and then to hear them. This functionality worked when I used to import my photos via Nikon's Transfer program, but since I started using Lightroom, I think that continuing to use Nikon Transfer would add time to how long it would take me to get the photos into Lightroom.

One other question I have is that when I Import photos via Lightroom, after all of the photos are imported, the program continues to very slowly download .xmp files for every photo. Why is that?

Thank you.

• 9. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

am glad that I found the latest update. Is there a way for my computer to notify me when there are more updates?

Yes by leaving the Creative Cloud desktop app open, running, and in the preferences for that app there is an option to Keep all program updated.

I personally turn that off, for good reason. You never know what Adobe will do with the next update. Like the disaster .2 and .2.1 was for 99% of users

• 10. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

I have no idea about .wav files in LR. IIRC I don't think you can unless they are part of a video you shot.

XMP files are created to store your edit in. You can stop that by unchecking the option to "Automatically Write changes into XMP" in the Catalog preferences. But the XMP file will still be created. LR creates XMP files for all images that it can't write edits to the RAW file directly like DNG, TIFF and JPG.

Also what size previews are you creating. I think it is the previews that is taking so long. XMP sidecar files are very small even after multiple edits. If you are creating 1:1 previews you should change that to Standard.

• 11. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

1. Eureka! I just found the Creative Cloud desktop App in my Mac's applications folder. I dragged it to the bar that has all my program icons.

2. The only reference I can find to previews is in Preferences --> File Handling --> JPEG Preview. The three choices there are None, Medium Size and Full Size. There is no choice there for Standard. Am I looking in the wrong place?

• 12. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

I just found another place where preview size is mentioned:

Lightroom --> Catalog Settings --> File Handling.

Here is what is in that screen, including my settings:

Total Size: 9 GB

Standard Preview Size: 1440 pixels

Preview Quality: Medium (other choices are low and high)

Automatically Discard 1:1 Previews: After 30 Days

Smart Previews

Total Size: 0 bytes

Import Sequence Numbers

Import Number: 1   Photos Imported: 0

FYI, my catalog's size is 1.76 GB and it appears to be stored in a nested folder labeled Adobe --> Lightroom CC CATALOG - current --> Backups

I do not know where on my Mac this folder is located, but within that Backups folder are these files:

Lightroom 6 Catalog Previews.Ildata

Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat

Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat-journal

Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat.lock

Temporary Import Data.db

Temporary Import Data.db-journal

Should I be backing this folder up to my external storage device too and, if so, how do I do that?

• 13. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

OPPS my bad. It is in the import window "Build Previews", Set that to Standard not 1:1. Along with the File Handling settings in the catalog settings. The Standard Preview Size: should be set to the number of pixels of the long side of your screen (the higher number of your screen resolution), I use Preview Quality: High, and Automatically Discard 1:1 Previews: After 30 days.

• 14. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

I just found another place where preview size is mentioned:

Lightroom --> Catalog Settings --> File Handling.

Here is what is in that screen, including my settings:

Total Size: 9 GB

Standard Preview Size: 1440 pixels

Preview Quality: Medium (other choices are low and high)

Automatically Discard 1:1 Previews: After 30 Days

Smart Previews

Total Size: 0 bytes

Import Sequence Numbers

Import Number: 1   Photos Imported: 0

FYI, my catalog's size is 1.76 GB and it appears to be stored in a nested folder labeled Adobe --> Lightroom CC CATALOG - current --> Backups

I do not know where on my Mac this folder is located, but within that Backups folder are these files:

Lightroom 6 Catalog Previews.Ildata

Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat

Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat-journal

Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat.lock

Temporary Import Data.db

Temporary Import Data.db-journal

Should I be backing this folder up to my external storage device too and, if so, how do I do that?

The folder is more than likely someplace in your UserName folder, Full path would be Macintosh HD/ (or just the Forward Slash /)Users/YourUserName/Pictures/Adobe/Lightroom.

In the Catalog Settings window on the General tab under Location there should be a button that has Show on it. Clicking that will bring up Finder to the location of the catalog file. There are options in the Finder Preferences to show the Full Path to any and all files or folders that you have selected in Finder. It is a box/bar on the bottom of the finder window. You can also use the Get Info system to show the Full Path.

Your List

LR 6 Catalog Previews.lrdat. That is the folder were all the Previews are stored (The Previews of your images not the actual images).

LR 6 Catalog.lrcat. That is the Actual LR Catalog file

LR 6 Catalog.lrcat-journal and the .lock files are there when LR is open so no other program can access the catalog file. These files should be deleted when you close/quit LR.

Not sure what those other 2 files are as I've never seen them on my Windows computers. Might be something new to the .3 update to Temporally store import data.

By default setting the Catalog file is backed up every week and you will get a notification that you can accept or skip. I always accept.

Should you backup those other files. Sure why not. Do you use Time Machine or some other program to backup your whole Mac hard drive on a regular basis? If you do then those files, all of them, are being backed up with the computer backup.

If not this is something you need to do. Along with having at least one external drive to make manual backups of your images. I personally have 3 drives that hold all my images. One internal that I use daily and 2 externals.

• 15. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

There is absolutely no need for you to apologize ("my bad"). You have been extremely helpful. You should work for Adobe (that is not meant as an insult).

I just found "Build Previews" in the Import Window. It was set to "Minimal" so I changed that to "Standard."

"Build Smart Previews" is unchecked.

"Add to Collection" is also unchecked. I have no idea what either of these are for.

In "Catalog Settings" I changed "Preview Quality" from "Medium" to "High."

My MacBook Pro Retina's connected Thunderbolt Display is set to "Default for display." I do not know what that is. When I click on "Scaled," the setting that is highlighted is 2560 x 1440. I am unable to set the "Preview Size" to 2560 because that is not one of the choices. They are Auto (2880 px), 1024, 1440 (where it is set now), 1680, 2048 and 2880 pixels. What should I set it at?

• 16. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

I am sorry I can't help with your Mac TB display. I used a Mac for about 2+ years, from 2011 to 2013+ and went back to Windows. One thing I noticed, and that bugged me, about Mac was the lack of external screen support. For me it is much simpler to run a windows notebook with an external screen attached than it was on the Macbook Pro I had. On my Dell I can have the external on and the internal off, with the screen open. the external and the internal on, the internal on and the external off and have it Auto set to where I had set it when connecting or disconnecting an external screen.

That Scaling setting has something to do with the Resolution. That TB display might be capable of 2880px but the scaling lowers that to the 2560.

• 17. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

"The folder is more than likely someplace in your UserName folder, Full path would be Macintosh HD/ (or just the Forward Slash /)Users/YourUserName/Pictures/Adobe/Lightroom.

In the Catalog Settings window on the General tab under Location there should be a button that has Show on it. Clicking that will bring up Finder to the location of the catalog file. There are options in the Finder Preferences to show the Full Path to any and all files or folders that you have selected in Finder. It is a box/bar on the bottom of the finder window. You can also use the Get Info system to show the Full Path."

I clicked on the "Show" button to get the information that I sent to you. What I want to see (always) is the full path. I opened "Finder Preferences" in my computer but I cannot find a checkbox for showing the Full Path. The dropdowns under "Finder Preferences" on my Mac are General, Tags, Sidebar and Advanced.

I do use Time Machine to backup my Mac.

As for storing my photos, that is critical. I am a journalist and probably have hundreds of thousands of photos. I used to store them on pairs of external hard drives but I found that when those older drives sat idle for months and years, eventually some of them could no longer be read. Fortunately always one of the pairs of drives always worked, so I could copy that.

Someone suggested that instead of doing that, I should get a mass storage device called a Drobo. My aging Drobo S contains five external hard drives ( 4x5 TB and 1 x 2TB). It has what is called double redundant backup, so if as many as two of the drives fail, it will automatically rebuild two new drives when they are added (a red light for each tells which ones have gone bad). It is not RAID but rather something proprietary to Drobo.

There are problems with using this. If the Drobo itself goes bad, I would not be able to read any of my photos. Hopefully they would not have been corrupted so that a new Drobo could read them.

The other problem is what if the Drobo is destroyed or stolen? I have no other backup.

I used to use regular hard drives in my Drobo S but after having several of those fail (they don't seem to like running for extended periods of time), I bit the bullet and bought HGST Enterprise Class Hard Drives (4) and one Hitachi Hard Drive (1). I have not had a drive failure since, but they are extremely expensive.

I really do need a second backup location, but transferring large quantities of RAW images over a standard Time Warner Cable internet connection would take forever. I have heard that there are new Cloud-based solutions that address this problem by automatically uploading (unattended). Another way to do a redundant backup would be to buy another Drobo (now there is a Drobo 5), fill it with five more external hard drives, and store it offsite somewhere -- but that would be very expensive.

• 18. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

Thank you. Should I change from 1440 to 2560?

FYI, I used Windows PC computers until the early 90s, at which time I switched to a Mac. That lasted for several years until I went back to using a Windows PC (much less expensive). However I do a lot of photo editing and found that I was frequently running into out of memory extreme slowdowns and errors -- sometimes three times in a day, necessitating that I shut down and restart the computer.

I switched back to a Mac Pro in 2009 and had no more out of memory problems. The same is true for the computer that replaced that one -- a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina. However, all is not better in the Apple world. For example, Apple Mail is not nearly as capable as was my Windows mail program. I do like not having to use an antivirus program...

• 19. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

The closest available setting to 2560 is 2048, so I'll try changing the setting from 1440 to 2048.

• 20. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

Yeah it is under the View menu item. Show Path Bar. I had to fire up a Virtual Machine of OS X to find it myself.

There are some other setting you might try in that View menu item to make your life easier, IMHO.

Show Status Bar

Column View Auto Width

Show System Files

Folders on Top

In the preferences.

Advanced tab.

Show all filename extensions (Not really sure why both Apple and Microsoft think it is a good idea to hide file extension by default)

Show warning before changing an extension

• 21. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

Thank you. Should I change from 1440 to 2560?

FYI, I used Windows PC computers until the early 90s, at which time I switched to a Mac. That lasted for several years until I went back to using a Windows PC (much less expensive). However I do a lot of photo editing and found that I was frequently running into out of memory extreme slowdowns and errors -- sometimes three times in a day, necessitating that I shut down and restart the computer.

I switched back to a Mac Pro in 2009 and had no more out of memory problems. The same is true for the computer that replaced that one -- a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina. However, all is not better in the Apple world. For example, Apple Mail is not nearly as capable as was my Windows mail program. I do like not having to use an antivirus program...

Well for Av software I haven't run any on any of my Windows computer since about 2005. No need IMHO. I don't go to funny website, I don't click on links in emails. And I do regular backups, images of my 2 main drives, so if I do somehow someway get an infection I can load the image from last week in a matter of minutes. That along with multiple copies of my important files on 3 different computers and at least 2 external drives.

Don't get me started about Mac Mail. What a POS mail program.

When I was using a Mac I hung out on the Apple support forums and everyday there were many many posts about how Apple Mac Mail failed to do something right. My replies were always Use a Different mail program, Apple Mac Mail Stinks

Good thing is Mozilla makes Thunderbird for both OS X and Windows. Been using that for years when I switched from POP mail accounts to IMAP accounts.

Best of luck to you.

• 22. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

I have been opening various things on my computer but I cannot find a View dropdown menu that shows:

Show Status Bar

Column View Auto Width

Show System Files

Folders on Top

The view dropdown choices change depending upon what I have open. What should I have open to see the View menu that you have found and are referring to?

• 23. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

Open a Finder window and then go to the View menu item.

Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 3.44.35 PM.png

Mine say Hide because they are all showing or are checked. This is on a Mt Lion 10.8.3 VM. So Apple might of changed there location or removed those options as only Apple can. I am also running a Finder Add-On called Total Finder. But IIRC those options are there even without Total Finder.

There is also a terminal command to show system files.

Show hidden folder & files in Finder.

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Again that command might of been changed in the newer versions of OS X. But a simple Google search should turn up the correct command for whatever version of OS X you are running.

• 24. Re: Cannot upgrade Lightroom CC.

Thank you. "Show Path" is still in the Finder View window (in OS-X Yosemite 10.10.5). I have not yet upgraded to El Capitan, thanks to having experienced a ton of trouble when I upgraded my iPhone too soon to the new OS. I spent the better part of three days with AppleCare senior advisors before I was able to sort of get my iPhone to work right again. It still has a major problem. Email message content (both sent and received) is frequently not "downloaded" from the server. Apple says it is because Time Warner Cable's mail functionality still needs users to have POP, not IMAP accounts.

FYI, the here is what is in my Finder's View dropdown menu:

As icons

As list

As columns

As cover flow

Arrange by

Hide (or Show) tab bar

Hide (or Show) Path Bar

Hide (or Show) Status Bar

Hide (or Show) Sidebar

Hide (or Show) Preview

Hide (or Show) Toolbar

Customize Toolbar

Show View Options

Enter Full Screen

Column View Auto Width, Show System Files and Columns on Top do not seem to be there anymore.

I dare not try the Terminal command, in case I mess something up. Luckily I do not need to see hidden system files.