5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 8:32 PM by A.T. Romano

premier elements how to trim transitions

richard.r

am using premier elements and inserting a transition between clips

the transition insists on swiping from the begining and the end of the clips that includes opening sequences - looks stupid

How can the transition be adjusted to start and end before the begining and end o9f the clips

I have tried removing the ends but it still gets the opening and ending sequences  Been at this hours now :-(

• 1. Re: premier elements how to trim transitions
          A.T. Romano Level 7

retterr

What version of Premiere Elements, what computer operating system, what transition (video or audio)?

Are you aware of the transition editing opportunities in the Transition Adjustments - alignment, duration, etc....the following is from Premiere Elements 11 Windows

Transition Adjustments Dialog with More button hit

adjtrans1.JPG

and the following is the reset of Transition Adjustments dialog, representing the More button options

adjtrans2.JPG

Please consider, and give more details. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: premier elements how to trim transitions
            richard.r Level 1

Hi thanks for this

Am using Premier Elements 14  Win 7 Pro

I have entered a video with a red banner at the begining and at the end.

I cut the video in the middle and place the wipe transition

The transition insists on wiping a red banner across the screen

So I start again. Import the clip and this time I delete the red ends. Cut and insert transition - And it does the red wipe.

So I start again cut the ends and this time export the clip without ends. Close Premier and open and start with this new clip. And the red is still there???

Amazing really

but mega frustrating!

Would like to be able to mark the timeline where the wipe begins and ends - something like 3 seconds either side.

Have given-up with the wipe

• 3. Re: premier elements how to trim transitions
              A.T. Romano Level 7

retterr

Thanks for the follow up.

I am working trying to recreate the situation that you describe. So far no luck in that regard.

So let us put together more information...

Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit (does your computer have service pack 1 installed?)

What is the specific video transition that you are using under Transitions Tab/Video - Wipe - is it it the one named Wipe or other?

What is the duration of the video clip with banner at beginning of the clip and then banner at end of clip and no banner in between?

When you cut it in half, what is the duration of each of the two split clips?

What is the duration that you are setting for the transition - 6 seconds and an alignment Between Clips to get your transition 3 seconds at the end of the first clip and 3 seconds at the beginning of the second clip?

Depending on the above results, with the scissors tool in the stem of the Timeline Indicator, cut off about 1 second from the end of the first clip and 1 second from the beginning of the second clip and close the gap created before you place the transition duration 6 seconds alignment Between Clips.

Please consider, and let us know the results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: premier elements how to trim transitions
                richard.r Level 1

Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit (does your computer have service pack 1 installed?)

Yes I have this

What is the specific video transition that you are using under Transitions Tab/Video - Wipe - is it it the one named Wipe or other?

Is the Wipe transition - but I find this simply fails now and does nothing - I think wipe is dead

What is the duration of the video clip with banner at beginning of the clip and then banner at end of clip and no banner in between?

Normally 2-3 minutes. There are banners only at the ends

When you cut it in half, what is the duration of each of the two split clips?

Anywhere from 1/3-2/3 to around 1/2-1/2

What is the duration that you are setting for the transition - 6 seconds and an alignment Between Clips to get your transition 3 seconds at the end of the first clip and 3 seconds at the beginning of the second clip?

I tried 1 or 2 seconds

Depending on the above results, with the scissors tool in the stem of the Timeline Indicator, cut off about 1 second from the end of the first clip and 1 second from the beginning of the second clip and close the gap created before you place the transition duration 6 seconds alignment Between Clips.

Tried that but the wipe transition seems pretty dead now, does nothing - think I broke it :-)

Please consider, and let us know the results.

thanks for your help

I have used other transitions - cube and flip over and curtain - these work OK - be nice if adobe can fix wipe

• 5. Re: premier elements how to trim transitions
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

retterr

Thanks for the details of the Premiere Elements 14 Windows 7 64 bit  Wipe transition issue.

I have been working away on this with 14 on Windows 10 64 bit and 14 on Windows 8.1 32 bit. I am not having good results with the Wipe to which you could respond "I told you so."

However, I did bring life into a Wipe transition, I think. Here is what I would like you to try....this is just a test....

Apply the Wipe transition between your two clips, but before you click Done to the Transition Adjustment pop up.

a. Under the tabs for Left Clip, Between Clips, and Right Clip, click on the Play button to determine if the Wipe sample does what it is supposed to be doing.

b. Then Hit the More button, and type in 10 for Border Width and set for Red for Border Color. Click Done.

c. After rendering the Timeline transition, do you see any indication of Wipe life?

ATR