8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2015 5:55 AM by dirks1

backwards compatibility cc and cs6

dirks1

yesterday evening I installed creative cc on my mac. That replaced my lightroom cs 6.3 app. In the future when I maybe stop my license for creative cc is my lghtroom cs6 then backwards compatible ? And how do I know when the compatibility will stop, when cs7 is coming out ?. Because for as far as I know cc is always updated automatically.

Thanks Dirk

• 1. Re: backwards compatibility cc and cs6
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If you have a perpetual license for Lightroom (There is no CS Lightroom. It is CC, Creative Cloud) it is good until the end of time.

No older version of LR has been compatible with a new updated LR Catalog database file. But you can continue using the older version with the Catalog database file meant for that version for as long as you like.

LR 6.x and LR CC 2015.x are exactly the same program, same downloaded installer, same files get installed to your computers hard drive. The difference between them is one a Subscription based install and the other a perpetual license install. What makes them different is the Adobe ID you use to Sign In. If you use an Adobe ID that is not associated with a Subscription it becomes the 6.x version. If you use an Adobe ID that IS associated with a Creative Cloud subscription then it becomes the CC 2015.x version.

There are also some updated tools included in the CC version that Adobe has restricted from working in the 6 version.

• 2. Re: backwards compatibility cc and cs6
            deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please check the version of the Lightroom that you were using before you upgraded to  Lightroom CC 2015.

The Lightroom works on catalog which in simple terms can be referred as library.

And catalogs are not backward compatible 

Thanks

• 3. Re: backwards compatibility cc and cs6
              dirks1 Level 1

Thank you so much for your answer. It is clear to me, but I still have a question. As long as I use "CC2015-lightroom CC " then my catalogs are useable when eventually I reinstall Lightroom6 because I stop my license for cc2015 after a year (now I have an education license for a year). But when it is upgraded to cc 2016 and I will use that , then I only can use the last Lightroom cc-2015 catalog. Is that correct ?

Dirk

• 4. Re: backwards compatibility cc and cs6
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Yes if Adobe Updates/Upgrades the catalog database file for LR CC 2016 and or LR 7. If they don't update/upgrade the catalog database file I don't know if the 2016, 7, catalog will work in 2015, 6. That is a complete Unknown at this time.

• 5. Re: backwards compatibility cc and cs6
                  dj_paige Level 9

dirks1 wrote:

Thank you so much for your answer. It is clear to me, but I still have a question. As long as I use "CC2015-lightroom CC " then my catalogs are useable when eventually I reinstall Lightroom6 because I stop my license for cc2015 after a year (now I have an education license for a year). But when it is upgraded to cc 2016 and I will use that , then I only can use the last Lightroom cc-2015 catalog. Is that correct ?

At the time your  Lightroom CC subscription expires, you will still have access to your work in your Lightroom CC software. However, you cannot use the Develop module any more, and the Map module will not work. However, all of your previous editing, metadata, etc. is still available to you and you can export these photos if you want. So in a sense, the lack of backwards compatibility isn't an issue unless you want all of your photos in a single catalog. See What happens to Lightroom after my membership ends?

• 6. Re: backwards compatibility cc and cs6
                    dirks1 Level 1

Thank you so much, I read it all and it is clear that CC for a part stays working and a part (develop) not. But when I re-install LR6 at that moment, have I start all over new/last lr6 backup catalog  or can I pickup the catalogs from CC-LR2015 ?

Greetings Dirk

• 7. Re: backwards compatibility cc and cs6
                      dj_paige Level 9

As long as the LR CC 2015 catalogs are compatible with your Lightroom 6, you're fine.

If LR CC advances to the next major version (perhaps called LR CC 2016?), then you cannot use that catalog in LR 6.

• 8. Re: backwards compatibility cc and cs6
                        dirks1 Level 1

This is the answer and what I hoped for. Thanks.