12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2015 12:15 PM by A.T. Romano

When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?

mikesmovies

I have been using this software for years and never had this problem. The only thing that has changed recently is that I got a newer camera. Interestingly, the sound is fine when previewing the clips and when I render the video. The only time I can't get good audio playback is in the timeline. This makes it extremely difficult to edit. Anybody else seeing this problem?

• 1. Re: When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mikesmovies

What computer operating system is involved?

What are the video and audio properties of what you are putting on the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Timeline?

Is your video card/graphic card and audio card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Windows updates up to date?

QuickTime up to date?

Still running program from user account with administrative privileges?

What is the situation with this video source in the Elements Organizer 9 and its player?

Please consider, and then we can decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?
            mikesmovies Level 1

Hi, thanks for responding.

Here are my answers:

- I am using Windows 7

- the files I am importing are quicktime video files taken from my Nikon D7000 camera

- as best as I can tell, everything is up to date. That was one of the first things I checked. Adobe Premiere says that it has the latest update. Myimage card is updated. I THINK my sound card is updated but I don't know how to check for sure

- i am running the program from user account. I am not sure what other way I could be running the program

- I don't fully understand the question about Elements Orgaizer

Sorry I'm not more help. I appreciate your assistance in trying to work through this issue with me

• 3. Re: When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?
              mikesmovies Level 1

You know, I'm not a computer expert at all so this is really frustrating for me. For the past 5 years or so I've just happily made my home movies using Premiere, never had any sound or video glitches. Now all of the sudden the playback is shot, the audio won't work, and I can't even get the edits I make to stay. I can't even describe how annoying it is. I really think there should be a 1-800 tech support number because I want someone to work through this with me. I get that I have an older version of Premiere but it's not like an old washing machine or whatever - it shouldn't just crap out on me like this

• 4. Re: When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

mikemovies

Sorry for the delay. I see that you have just post another thread to continue this matter

Sound goes in and out in timeline, unable to edit clips

I have responded in that thread and have just posted the following there

mikemovies

Continuing in

When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?

where we began to discuss your previewing only situation.....

Apologizes for losing track of your thread in the traffic. When that happens, best post in that thread again asking where am I to alert me that I have not responded to the information requested.

You clearly state that the source of your video here is the Nikon D7000, and it is expected to be H.264/AVCHD.mov 1920 x 1080p. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 should be able to handle that format as well as its PCM audio with the latest version of QuickTime installed on the same computer running as administrator. Where 9.0/9.0.1 has run into problems is related to its display issues, and this brought attention to deletion of the BadDriver.txt file to get out of most of those situations where the problem exists when the video card/graphics card is up to date.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

I am not sure how much computer resources factors into all this. Premiere Elements 9/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application whether run on 32 bit or 64 bit computer.

But the examples that you have given seem to be using small files to demo your point.

In view of Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 history on display issues, how many video card/graphics cards does your computer use according to the computer's Device Manager/Display Adapters?

Are you working from the 9.0.1 update of 9.

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Best done from this download rather than the project's Help Menu/Updates.

My impression is that this is not a video format issue. I can import a Nikon D7000 AVCHD.mov 1920 x 1080p29.97 into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and preview it without issues with video or audio.

In our discussion in the other thread, I asked about Elements Organizer 9 in the following context....

when you import a video into Premiere Elements Editor, a copy is automatically placed in the Elements Organizer. The Elements Organizer can play back video in its player when you double click the video's thumbnail there. I was curious as to whether or not the video sound was OK in the Elements Organizer whereas it was not in the Editor previewing.

ATR

I will be following your issue in both places.

Please consider continuing in the thread that we are in now.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mikesmovies

Just a note on what you wrote in post 3.

The support for Premiere Elements extended by Adobe to the user is for the current version which is now 14. Even that is limited.

And, at the Ask the Community level (that is us, user to user), we have no way of doing remote control of your computer troubleshooting as could be done by Adobe.

We can offer you here troubleshooting suggestions to follow through. And, we can re-write whenever you need clarification on anything in the suggestions that you do not understand.

As mentioned, I know that a Nikon D7000 AVCHD.mov can be previewed successfully in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows. I have been there and done that. So, I am not buying into the idea that Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 cannot support that format.

If, in the Edit area monitor, you are playing back Timeline content with an orange line over it, Timeline rendering is needed before making judgment on the Timeline playback quality.

And, the bigger question is "Why the orange line over the Timeline content, if the correct project preset has been set?"

Consider.

ATR

• 6. Re: When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?
                    mikesmovies Level 1

Hi ATR

Thanks for responding. My gripe was not with you - I appreciate that you are taking the time to help me with this problem. I do think it is a sucky business practice on the part of Adobe to create software and then not have any means of getting tech support for it. Yes, I realize my software is a few years old. My dishwasher is too, but I can still call Maytag for help if it breaks. This is basic business 101.

Regardless, I thank you for your advice. I have tried to chase down every possibility you raised.

First, I am updated with both Premiere 9.1 and I have the latest Quicktime.

My graphics card is an Intel (R) HD graphics, according to my device manager.

I have not used the organizer feature in the past. I opened it up and it worked okay. I could click on a thumbnail and when it played the audio was fine. However, the thumbnail images would not load. Not sure if that is significant or not.

Again, in Premiere all the clips are fine on their own. The wavelengths display normally in the timeline. The problem is once I let the timeline run through the audio goes in and out, and there seems to be no pattern to it. Also, when I want to edit an open clip, I cannot mark the in point or the out point unless I open it and close it 3-4 times.

It feels to me like my computer is just not powerful enough to do the processing anymore. But I don't understand why since it always worked fine before and I have plenty of memory.

This is really breaking my heart because I have been working on a movie project with my kids and now I can't finish it. I hope you can help. Thanks

• 7. Re: When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?
                      mikesmovies Level 1

Also, I deleted the BadDrivers.txt but it seemed to do nothing

• 8. Re: When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

mikesmovies

Thanks for the replies. Let us see what we can do.

I have Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit, and the computer uses one video card/graphics card which is Intel HD Graphics. I have worked with a sample of your camera in that computer environment and have had no problems with the playback of the video in the Edit area monitor.

Let us go through the details...

1. What do you set in the new project dialog when you open a new project for your Nikon video?

I have assumed that your video is AVCHD.mov 1920 x 1080@ 29.97 progressive frames per second.

When you look at Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, what do you see for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio?

Based on the above, I am looking for a project preset of

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

When you import the video into the Timeline, there should be no red line over its content. Do you see a red line at that time or no colored line?

If red line, hit the Enter key to do Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview. Same or problem gone?

2. If there was no colored line over the video when it was first imported, then we are going to do what I call forced rendering.

To do that, right click the Timeline video, select Time Stretch, and then type in 99 in the Speed% field of the Time Stretch dialog. That will cause a red line of the Timeline content. Timeline render that content. Same or problem gone?

Please consider. Based on the outcome, we can consider what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?
                          mikesmovies Level 1

Hi ATR

here is a screen shot of the settings for the project that I'm working on:

Premiere 9 settings.PNG

• 10. Re: When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

mikemovies

Thanks for the screenshot of your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project settings. Are you stopping to set the project preset in the new project dialog to correspond to the properties of your video to be imported or just clicking OK to the default which is NTSC DV Standard? Therein may be your problem.

I have assumed that your source video is 1920 x 1080, not 720 x 480. So, first thing, we need to confirm the properties of what you are recording and what you are importing into the project with the NTSC DV Standard project preset.

From what I have read of your camera, the recording possibilities include frame size 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720, and an atypical 640 x 424.

Please consider, and give more details.

Thank you for the follow up.

ATR

• 11. Re: When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?
                              mikesmovies Level 1

Hi ATR,

Well, it seems you were right about the red line. Once I hit enter to render the clips in the timeline, the problem with the audio playback disappeared. I feel silly that I was agonizing for so long over something with such an easy solution

But one big problem remains - I can't edit my clips when I open them in the preview window! The software doesn't record that I have marked in and out points, it just plops the entire unedited clip into the timeline. Maybe this has something to do with the settings I am using when I import the video.

I will follow up later this evening as I have to run out now.

Thanks again for all your support

• 12. Re: When I add clips to my timeline in Premiere 9, the sound goes in and out - what is happening?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

mikesmovies

Thanks for the follow up.

Please rule in or out the project settings as they relate to the properties of the source video and then we will figure out what is going on with the trimming in the Preview Windows for the clip.

Looking forward to your results as your schedule permits.

ATR