7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2015 2:10 PM by ManiacJoe

Trying to work from 2 machines on one catalog through the CC LR app--

renestephens

is this possible or is the catalog that sits on the HD of imac the issue that I can't then access those images from my macbook pro?  If that is the case, and I can import the images from my imac through home network to my mbpro LR app, how do I ensure any edits that are done on one machine get "copied" to the catalog on the other machine?  Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Trying to work from 2 machines on one catalog through the CC LR app--
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

LR is a Single computer program. It does not allow the catalog to be stored on a network drive whether a NAS or on another computer on the network.

The catalog file has to be stored locally, on a drive connected directly to that computer.

Images can be stored anywhere. On the local computer, a computer hard drive across a LAN or on a NAS.

One way around this is to store images on a NAS, have both computers access the NAS to load images and then Copy the catalog file from computer to computer.

Or have both the images and the catalog file on an External drive that you connect to the computer you are working on.

• 2. Re: Trying to work from 2 machines on one catalog through the CC LR app--
            renestephens Level 1

Thanks...would using Smart Previews and Exporting them to my external drive or mbpro also do the trick? 

• 3. Re: Trying to work from 2 machines on one catalog through the CC LR app--
              renestephens Level 1

Nevermind that last about Smart Previews...I see that won't work, but copying the Catalog file would, though it seems like you could easily get confused with copying and back-copying through that.

Do we know why a catalog cannot be stored on a server or network drive?  I don't get that.

• 4. Re: Trying to work from 2 machines on one catalog through the CC LR app--

Not sure. I don't use Smart Preview so I've never investigated what and how it does what it does. But IIRC the smart previews are stored in the Previews Cache folder. You would then need to Copy the catalog file and the Previews cache folder to your other system.

There are also several work a rounds using online storage places like DropBox to copy the catalog file and previews folder to and have that Sync with both your computers.

Way to much work for me. I just load the images I need to work on to both my system. Then Sync those folders across the network and Synchronize the those folders on both systems.

• 5. Re: Trying to work from 2 machines on one catalog through the CC LR app--

renestephens wrote:

Nevermind that last about Smart Previews...I see that won't work, but copying the Catalog file would, though it seems like you could easily get confused with copying and back-copying through that.

Do we know why a catalog cannot be stored on a server or network drive?  I don't get that.

I have no idea.

But what would happen if you had the one and only catalog on one computer or NAS on your home or work LAN and you took your notebook away from that LAN then tried to work on images. When LR opened it would not be able to find the catalog and then by default create a new one on the local drive which would be blank, No images at all.

The External hard drive is the best method. There are some very fast USB 3 SSDs around. I have a Samsung that is just larger than a credit card and holds 500GBs. I don't use it for LR but it is fast.

• 6. Re: Trying to work from 2 machines on one catalog through the CC LR app--
                    ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

renestephens wrote:

It is to prevent people from trying to access the catalog from multiple computers at the same time. Dealing with multiple users doing edits to a database at the same time requires lots of extra programming at the database level.

• 7. Re: Trying to work from 2 machines on one catalog through the CC LR app--
                      ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

renestephens wrote:

is this possible or is the catalog that sits on the HD of imac the issue that I can't then access those images from my macbook pro?  If that is the case, and I can import the images from my imac through home network to my mbpro LR app, how do I ensure any edits that are done on one machine get "copied" to the catalog on the other machine?  Thanks for any help.

The easiest solution is to put the photos and the LR catalog on an external drive and move the drive from computer to computer as needed.

You could also set up a file sync of some sort to copy the catalog and images from one computer to the other and back over your local network.

My recommendation would be the external drive.