12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 8:18 AM by jfredrickson01

Imported Photos Not Showing in Library

jfredrickson01 Level 1

I imported a folder with 17 images but only 10 showed up in Lightroom after the import. I tried to re-import the folder again but it says all 17 files have been imported already. I also tried synchronizing the folder. It said there were 7 files to add but when I clicked Synchronize it said there were no photos to import.

All files are JPG so it's not an issue with RAW + JPG. I also tried expanding all stacks in case it was a stacking issue, but that didn't help. My filter is set to "No Filter".

The folder menu lists the folder as having 10 files in it. What could have happened to the other 7 files that makes Lightroom think they are already imported but not actually showing up?

• 1. Re: Imported Photos Not Showing in Library
          dj_paige Level 9

You have previously imported the other 7 photos using the COPY option and so Lightroom thinks they are in a different folder.

To find them, click on All Photographs and then use the Lightroom Filter Bar to search for one of these photos by File Name.

• 2. Re: Imported Photos Not Showing in Library
            jfredrickson01 Level 1

Thanks, this located the original copies of those files in the Full Take folder. I had created a Selects folder with copies of these 17 images and 10 of them imported fine, but the other 7 won't. How should I go about getting the other 7 to import into the Selects folder? Do I have to create copies with different names so that Lightroom doesn't think they are the same as the ones in the Full Take folder that have already been imported?

• 3. Re: Imported Photos Not Showing in Library
              dj_paige Level 9

The fix does not involve importing. DO NOT IMPORT. This is so important, I am going to say it three more times. DO NOT IMPORT. DO NOT IMPORT. DO NOT IMPORT. DO NOT IMPORT. DO NOT IMPORT. DO NOT IMPORT.

You right-click on the "Full Take" folder, select Update Folder Location, and in the dialog box that appears, select the original folder. A dialogbox may appear asking if you want to merge folders, allow this merge.

• 4. Re: Imported Photos Not Showing in Library
                jfredrickson01 Level 1

I'm sorry, I must be explaining this poorly.

The "Full Take" folder is fine. The problem is with the "Selects" folder that has 17 copies of images from the Full Take folder. 10 of those 17 are showing up in Lightroom fine, but the other 7 won't show up. Lightroom recognizes that there are 7 more to add when I try to Synchronize the "Selects" folder, but then it says they are already added when I actually click Synchronize.

I changed the filenames of the 7 problem photos and now Lightroom has added them without a problem. I think you were right that it knew it had already imported them in the "Full Take" folder so it wasn't allowing them to be imported again in the "Selects" folder even though they were in a different place on the hard drive. I'm still confused why the other 10 worked fine though as they are also in both folders.

If I am to avoid using the Import option, what's the best way to add new folders of images to Lightroom?

• 5. Re: Imported Photos Not Showing in Library
                  dj_paige Level 9

Okay, show me a screen capture illustrating the problem.

The reason, as I explained earlier, is that the photos have already been imported into Lightroom, so Importing them again will not fix the problem. Let's just stop talking about importing because that is not the path forward.

The solution is to find the photos in Lightroom. Did you, or did you not, do the search in Lightroom that I described above, and did it or did it not find these 7 photos in Lightroom?

• 6. Re: Imported Photos Not Showing in Library
                    jfredrickson01 Level 1

Yes it did. They are there in the "Full Take" folder. I was able to get them to also appear in the "Selects" folder by changing the file names of the images in the "Selects" folder so that Lightroom didn't think they were duplicates.

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Imported Photos Not Showing in Library
                      dj_paige Level 9

Let me point out that you now have a different problem (which you may not realize).

Now, your photos have been imported twice and Lightroom thinks the photos imported the second time are different photos than the photos imported the first time.

This means that any editing you do on one photo is not applied to the second photo. Similarly, any metadata applied to one photo is not applied to the second photo. So you may at some point in the future look for one of these photos and see it isn't edited and then say ... hey wait, I'm sure I edited this photo ... or perhaps the metadata won't match.

In my opinion, you would be wise not to use Lightroom in this fashion, it is extra work that only leads to confusion. It is possible to use Lightroom in such a way that there is only one copy of the photo, and it appears in multiple places, and edits and metadata are seen identically in multiple places. If you want, we can still fix the problem and use Lightroom in a much more intelligent and problem-free way.

• 8. Re: Imported Photos Not Showing in Library
                        jfredrickson01 Level 1

That would be amazing. How do I go about doing that?

• 9. Re: Imported Photos Not Showing in Library
                          dj_paige Level 9

Well, you'd have to undo the 2nd import of these photos. Delete the second import from Lightroom.

Then, you'd need to use keywords or collections to group your photos, instead of folders. Why? A photo can have many keywords, it can be in many collections, and thus it can be seen in many different views; but a photo can only be in one folder.

• 10. Re: Imported Photos Not Showing in Library
                            jfredrickson01 Level 1

Yeah makes sense. I'm still adjusting from using folders to group selects separately from the full take. I need to get used to using Lightroom to manage everything so that I don't need to have multiple copies of the same photo on my hard drive.

How do you deal with photoshop edits though? Do you need to create a copy in that case since the photoshop edits are destructive (i.e. the original gets lost when you save edits from photoshop)?

• 11. Re: Imported Photos Not Showing in Library
                              dj_paige Level 9

Photoshop edits break the model of non-destructive editing, but they do not break the model of using keywords or collections or other metadata for organizing purposes.

The edits made in Photoshop are separate files than the original. Lightroom sees them as separate files. But if you organize the original and Photoshop edits using keywords or collections or other metadata, then you only need one copy of the Photoshop edit, and it can still appear in many views.

By the way, these words do not mean anything to me:

to group selects separately from the full take

• 12. Re: Imported Photos Not Showing in Library
                                jfredrickson01 Level 1

Makes sense. Thanks for all your help.