12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2015 5:16 AM by Steve Grisetti

Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.

Gene 2489

Hello, anyone else having this problem? When you click on an icon depicting a Guided Edit, a dialogue box comes up saying "Adobe Premiere Elements 14 has stopped working" and then the only choice is to wait until Windows shuts it down or hit the "Close program" button.

About a week ago, I installed from a download, all seems to work except the Guided Edits. There has been a couple of updates already to the program.

I have tried selecting a different one each time after restarting the program, thinking maybe just one or two was corrupted, but none seem to work.

If I check for updates from the Help menu, it says all is up to date. I may be able to figure out how to do some things by messing around, but I paid for the program to work in it's entirety.

It is a new computer this year and all drivers are up to date as well. Windows 7.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

thanks!!

• 1. Re: Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is nothing unique about the Guided Edits that would trigger a crash. So chances are that whatever instability in your computer that is causing the Guided Edits to crash is going to also cause you problems at some point later when you're editing.

You don't say if you've got the 64-bit version of Windows or what processor you're running or how much RAM you have or when you've last run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragment or if you've run a registry cleaner like CCleaner later, but all of these can affect the stability of your system.

Meantime make sure you've got the latest version of Quicktime and that you've got latest drivers for your graphics card from the ATI or nVidia web sites (rather than trusting Windows to ensure your updates).

• 2. Re: Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

gene 2489

You wrote

There has been a couple of updates already to the program.

After you get through the other questions, just curious to know what you have been updating. There is no version update, such as 14 to 14.1 at this time. Are you updating Camera Raw or something else?

ATR

• 3. Re: Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.
              Gene 2489 Level 1

ATR, Thanks for your input!

Yes, I believe it said something about camera RAW updates rather than a full version update.

• 4. Re: Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.
                Gene 2489 Level 1

thank you Steve for replying to my question!

I have watched your Basic Training series videos and I appreciate you making them.

I have PE 64 bit version installed. AMD A10-7850K APU with Radeon R7 graphics, 3.7 GHz; 16 GB RAM. Win 7 home premium SP 1

I do not have a separate graphics card. ( I am afraid I'm about to learn AMD may have embellished their R7 graphics capabilities a bit, or maybe more likely I had no idea what I was reading)

I admit I am the one who picked out the hardware, assembled and brought the computer to life. So, if you think I need a real graphics card, don't be afraid to tell me!

I made the computer with only photo editing in mind and was recently talked into a video editing project.

I do keep my hard drive free of trash and such, which reminds me of another bit of info that may or may not have bearing on this issue...

I have the operating system and a few other programs installed on a 120GB SSD. however, this program is installed on a 1 TB internal hard drive because I did not want to cramp Windows. It does run fine normally.

I have not ran any registry clean up programs yet for two reasons: the computer is new and I have not uninstalled more than maybe one program, the other reason is I am trying to avoid a lot of extra programs that I am unsure if they won't end up slowing down my computer. Oh, and a third would be: I really don't know what I am doing digging that deep into a computer's inner workings.

I do use Secunia PSI.

sheesh, out of time again. I hope this info will tell you something in addition to the fact that I am no expert!

• 5. Re: Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.

But you DO have a graphics card, Gene. That Radeon R7. So make sure you get the latest drivers from here.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r7

I do highly recommend you keep all of your Windows program on your C drive. Especially Premiere Elements. Putting it on a second drive may or may not contribute to its instability. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you know, a 120 gig drive fills up pretty quickly! Hopefully you can have your operating system and programs on it and still leave a good 30-50 gigs space for the programs to have some breathing room when they open.

Meantime, try an uninstall/reinstall (running CCleaner in between) with your antivirus program turned off. Sometimes antivirus programs get in the way of a program's installation.

Otherwise, you've built a pretty good computer, Gene! You've got adequate hardware for editing most camcorder video.

• 6. Re: Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.
                    Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

Hi Gene,

Thanks for posting on Adobe forums, I have sent you a private message please respond to that so we can help you in better way.

Regards

Sandeep

• 7. Re: Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sandeep Singh

Could I ask that you let us know in this thread the outcome if you resolve Gene's issue via private message that you mention in your post 6?

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.
                        Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

Sure ATR,

I will let you know the outcome.

Regards,

Sandeep

• 9. Re: Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.
                          Gene 2489 Level 1

Thanks Steve, I will try the AMD update. I won't have time this week to do the reinstall of PE probably.

As the C: drive is now, there is only 22 GB or so free space and I have no media stored on it. I may have to go to a larger SSD. (what a pain! it's always something.)

I will let you all know when I get this resolved.

• 10. Re: Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.
                            Gene 2489 Level 1

Sandeep, it appears the graphics driver update Steve suggested may have cured it. The guided edits don't crash now! I completed a guided edit and it worked flawlessly all the way through. I will run with this a while and see what happens.

• 11. Re: Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.
                              Gene 2489 Level 1

Steve,

I updated the graphics driver as you suggested. At the same time, I remembered the Asus motherboard I have came with a software suite that allows "fiddling" with many hardware settings. One of them is a GPU booster.  I found it was set to the lowest setting by default. I set it at the middle setting shortly after I updated the AMD R7 driver.

So, it works now! The guided edits work. Thanks for the suggestions! I have marked your reply as a correct answer.

I will continue to practice editing and using the PE program without reinstalling in on the C: drive and will post again if it is not a complete cure, but I am hoping it is!

have a great week!

-Gene

• 12. Re: Guided Edits crash the program, shutting it down.

Great news, Gene! Please mark this question as answered and happy moviemaking!