6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2015 8:02 AM by Jeffrey_Smith

Insane PDF filesize exported from InDesign CC

wojtek32

Hi all,

Lately I've noticed some of my PDFs comming from InDesign to have some nightmarish file-sizes.

I have one  A4 page with a couple of paragraphs of plain text + a background image linked from a PSD file. The PSD file is 7MB.

When using the export options in InDesign, no matter what I do the filesize is somewhere between 5MB and 7MB.

This is insane.

It doesn't matter if I set the Compression options to 72 DPI and Compression type to JPG (with LOW settings!!).

InDesign behaves kind of like not doing anything to the PSD file when exporting.

I used to always work with a lot of huge PSD files linked in Indd files and not worry about their size because when exporting Indesign always did a fantastic job of optimizing the raster graphics when exporting to PDF.

It's not the case with the CC version.

As soon as I saved the PSD file to a JPG, and substituted the PSD with the small JPG in Indd file, the resulting PDF slimmed down to 60KB (!!!).

Is this a bug? It looks like it very much so.

I've tried all the export options there are in the Export Window (like "crop image date to frames" and "compress text and vector graphics").

Help!